A question/thought on conversion

  • aspxpert
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13 1:21 PM
      When PCGen loads LST files, what does it do with them? Does it leave
      them in memory as collections of unparsed strings, or does it parse
      them into a more native data format?

      If it does indeed parse them, would it not reduce conversion effort
      to use the PCGen LST file loaders and only write an XML output engine?
    • Peter Kahle
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13 1:46 PM
        It does parse them out, though there may be some stuff that's not
        parsed. Check out message #150 on this group, I used Castor to dump the
        XML from some of the stuff as it existed at the time (January).

        The downside of this is that the XML format we've been talking about
        doesn't bear much resemblance to the current way the data is structured.
        I think we're pretty much all in agreement that we should work to
        streamline the data representation based on some of our XML ideas,
        though I do see an advantage of beginning the work with a smaller step
        than a full conversion. But I've said that before.
        PS: I _think_ the link to that message is
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen-xml/message/150 , but don't hold me
        to it.

        On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 08:21:34PM -0000, aspxpert wrote:
        > When PCGen loads LST files, what does it do with them? Does it leave
        > them in memory as collections of unparsed strings, or does it parse
        > them into a more native data format?
        >
        > If it does indeed parse them, would it not reduce conversion effort
        > to use the PCGen LST file loaders and only write an XML output engine?

        Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
        safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
        -- Ben Franklin

        || Peter M Kahle Jr || PGP Public Key on Keyservers ||
        || pkahle@... || http://www.kahlilia.org/~pkahle/ ||
        ##===============================##======================================##
      • Scott Ellsworth
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 13 1:57 PM
          On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 01:59 PM, Keith Davies wrote:

          > On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 08:21:34PM +0000, aspxpert wrote:
          >> When PCGen loads LST files, what does it do with them? Does it leave
          >> them in memory as collections of unparsed strings, or does it parse
          >> them into a more native data format?
          >>
          >> If it does indeed parse them, would it not reduce conversion effort to
          >> use the PCGen LST file loaders and only write an XML output engine?
          >
          > As I understand it (and I haven't gone into the code) the data
          > structures currently in PCGen are very generalized and *big*. I also
          > understand that they are in serious need of refactoring (this program
          > was grown, rather than built -- serious evolution took the place of
          > design). This got a working program, but we have the opportunity to
          > improve it.

          The data structures are very generalized, and some parsing does take
          place, but not enough. Much of the data still exists as strings, though
          they have been split out from the original program line that held them.

          A key part of an effort like this would be to turn the data storage
          system into something a tad more opaque, and with more optimal usage of
          keys and sets. One benefit to the XML effort, we can at least get away
          from having to uppercase all of our keys before comparison, and thus can
          do a much better comparison than the current linear one.

          Scott
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 13 1:59 PM
            On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 08:21:34PM +0000, aspxpert wrote:
            > When PCGen loads LST files, what does it do with them? Does it leave
            > them in memory as collections of unparsed strings, or does it parse
            > them into a more native data format?
            >
            > If it does indeed parse them, would it not reduce conversion effort
            > to use the PCGen LST file loaders and only write an XML output engine?

            As I understand it (and I haven't gone into the code) the data
            structures currently in PCGen are very generalized and *big*. I also
            understand that they are in serious need of refactoring (this program
            was grown, rather than built -- serious evolution took the place of
            design). This got a working program, but we have the opportunity to
            improve it.

            In making the data design fit the data being modeled, we will be
            breaking a bunch of existing stuff. The conversion will not be as
            simple as loading and unloading the data. On the plus side, though, we
            probably *can* automate a lot of it; Chuck and Eric (IIRC) are building
            tools that will be able to parse and structure the data for us (to a
            better extent than the PCGen code can) and will be able to do a bunch of
            the analysis and reorganization.

            PCGen-XML Reaper, smartass
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 13 2:20 PM
              On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 01:57:21PM -0700, Scott Ellsworth wrote:

              > On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 01:59 PM, Keith Davies wrote:
              >
              > > On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 08:21:34PM +0000, aspxpert wrote:
              > >> When PCGen loads LST files, what does it do with them? Does it leave
              > >> them in memory as collections of unparsed strings, or does it parse
              > >> them into a more native data format?
              > >>
              > >> If it does indeed parse them, would it not reduce conversion effort to
              > >> use the PCGen LST file loaders and only write an XML output engine?
              > >
              > > As I understand it (and I haven't gone into the code) the data
              > > structures currently in PCGen are very generalized and *big*. I also
              > > understand that they are in serious need of refactoring (this program
              > > was grown, rather than built -- serious evolution took the place of
              > > design). This got a working program, but we have the opportunity to
              > > improve it.
              >
              > The data structures are very generalized, and some parsing does take
              > place, but not enough. Much of the data still exists as strings, though
              > they have been split out from the original program line that held them.
              >
              > A key part of an effort like this would be to turn the data storage
              > system into something a tad more opaque, and with more optimal usage of
              > keys and sets. One benefit to the XML effort, we can at least get away
              > from having to uppercase all of our keys before comparison, and thus can
              > do a much better comparison than the current linear one.

              See! See! A *knowledgeable* answer. I wish I had more of those....

              <g>

              PCGen-XML Reaper, smartass
            • Ysgarran
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 13 4:10 PM
                I've worked on just such a beast on the assumption that it
                would be easier to convert from an intermediate XML file
                to the final XML format.

                I never checked the code in but I have seriously thought
                about it.  Problem is that it turned into a lot more work
                than I thought it would be and some things used to
                be unparsed in PCGen.   That increased the time it
                took to actually convert some of the stuff...

                The other problem is that the code has gotten stale since
                I have not kept it up to date with the changing PCGen code.

                I can either check it in to PCgen or I could e-mail it out to
                anyone who wants to take a lot.

                Finally, I'm trying to break the data down a bit so it is not
                strictly a one to one conversion from the lst files to the XML
                files.

                Brian F.

                p.s.
                If anyone wants to take a look at the code, I'll fire it  off
                to them.