Re: NPC Generator Compliance with PCGen 3.0.0

  • Scott Ellsworth
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2002
      Moved from pcgen list.

      On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 11:59 AM, Drew Bernat wrote:

      > On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, aspxpert wrote:
      >
      >> XML is wordy, yes.
      >>
      >> But it has the advantage of being an industry standard. Why be
      >> proprietary unless it gives you some HUGE business (money?) or
      >> technological edge?
      >
      > Ayup. And that's where the kicker is.
      >
      > XML being a standard specification means that parsing it will be easy.
      > It won't mean that other programs can read your data easily -- that
      > requires a DTD and coding so that people know what <CLASS> means. But
      > if you can get the parsing done you're closer than you were before.

      We are also working on a DTD, or even better a schema, so that
      validation becomes natural.

      The big win for me is the easy availability of tools to read, write,
      maintain, and manipulate XML that run cross platform. YMMV.

      For what it is worth, I find XML a wonderful attempt at structured
      data. Other formats have been proposed, and have failed, but this one
      does seem to have enough momentum to survive.

      Scott
    • mauriceonmaplate
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2002
        > For what it is worth, I find XML a wonderful attempt at structured
        > data. Other formats have been proposed, and have failed, but this
        one
        > does seem to have enough momentum to survive.
        >
        > Scott

        I see nothing in XML that validates that a file has not been
        corrupted in transit. Have I missed it or is it missing?

        Steve
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14, 2002
          On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 10:02:38PM +0000, mauriceonmaplate wrote:

          > > For what it is worth, I find XML a wonderful attempt at structured
          > > data. Other formats have been proposed, and have failed, but this
          > one
          > > does seem to have enough momentum to survive.
          > >
          > > Scott
          >
          > I see nothing in XML that validates that a file has not been
          > corrupted in transit. Have I missed it or is it missing?

          Technically, nothing in XML confirms this. However, it wouldn't be
          difficult to add a <?checksum> as the last element before the close of
          the root that could be used to confirm the integrity of file.

          PCGen-XML Reaper, smartass
        • Scott Ellsworth
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 14, 2002
            On Wednesday, August 14, 2002, at 03:02 PM, mauriceonmaplate wrote:

            >> For what it is worth, I find XML a wonderful attempt at structured
            >> data. Other formats have been proposed, and have failed, but this one
            >> does seem to have enough momentum to survive.
            >
            > I see nothing in XML that validates that a file has not been
            > corrupted in transit. Have I missed it or is it missing?

            It may have been mangled, but any mangling that breaks the schema can be
            detected by a validating parser.

            For the sake of paranoia and integrity, I usually add a few checksums,
            such as the number of entities at the very end, which can then be
            validated post the data read.

            Scott
          • Peter Kahle
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14, 2002
              On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 05:59:12PM -0700, Keith Davies wrote:
              > On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 10:02:38PM +0000, mauriceonmaplate wrote:
              > >
              > > > For what it is worth, I find XML a wonderful attempt at structured
              > > > data. Other formats have been proposed, and have failed, but this
              > > one
              > > > does seem to have enough momentum to survive.
              > > >
              > > > Scott
              > >
              > > I see nothing in XML that validates that a file has not been
              > > corrupted in transit. Have I missed it or is it missing?
              >
              > Technically, nothing in XML confirms this. However, it wouldn't be
              > difficult to add a <?checksum> as the last element before the close of
              > the root that could be used to confirm the integrity of file.

              Hell, if you really wanted to, you can use the XML-Sig standard (or a
              related one) to verify not only the integrity of the file, but that the
              author is who they claim to be. Not that I'm advocating this, I don't
              think we have to worry about the data being corrupted, just report an
              error if it fails to validate.

              > Keith Davies
              > keith.davies@...
              >
              > PCGen-XML Reaper, smartass

              Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
              safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
              -- Ben Franklin

              || Peter M Kahle Jr || PGP Public Key on Keyservers ||
              || pkahle@... || http://www.kahlilia.org/~pkahle/ ||
              ##===============================##======================================##
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 15, 2002
                On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 07:07:34PM -0700, Scott Ellsworth wrote:

                > On Wednesday, August 14, 2002, at 03:02 PM, mauriceonmaplate wrote:
                >

                > >> For what it is worth, I find XML a wonderful attempt at structured
                > >> data. Other formats have been proposed, and have failed, but this one
                > >> does seem to have enough momentum to survive.
                > >
                > > I see nothing in XML that validates that a file has not been
                > > corrupted in transit. Have I missed it or is it missing?
                >
                > It may have been mangled, but any mangling that breaks the schema can be
                > detected by a validating parser.
                >
                > For the sake of paranoia and integrity, I usually add a few checksums,
                > such as the number of entities at the very end, which can then be
                > validated post the data read.

                The only downside to it is that it is conceivable that the file is
                changed but still validates. For instance, a transmission error mangles
                some of the plain text.

                Personally, my solution is to zip the files and transmit them. There
                are checksums built into most archive formats, and decompression will
                almost always fail if something is wrong with the archive file. That
                being the case, it's really easy to tell if something broke.

                PCGen-XML Reaper, smartass