Re: Current status of PCGen-XML? (message to Keith)

  • rvanwees
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2002
      Keith,

      Thx for the update on the house.

      I had a quick look at the DTD and XML. I think I'll wait for
      the 'something more coherent' you mentioned. They didn't quite match
      yet when I pulled them through XMLSpy.

      A thought: would it work to just concentrate on the XML until it is
      right and then build a DTD or Schema? I think it will save a lot of
      work along the way... (could even be that, if you machine-generate
      XML, you don't need to validate at all)

      On data entry screens: I've been busy writing a character editor for
      myself and have some ready-made stuff to help quickly build some
      entry screens.

      I'll be looking forward to the updated roadmap.

      Rgds,

      Rob.

      'Fly', she chanted, and up he went...

      [ interesting stuff clipped ]

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2002
        On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 10:57:32PM -0000, rvanwees wrote:
        > Keith,
        >
        > Thx for the update on the house.
        >
        > I had a quick look at the DTD and XML. I think I'll wait for
        > the 'something more coherent' you mentioned. They didn't quite match
        > yet when I pulled them through XMLSpy.
        >
        > A thought: would it work to just concentrate on the XML until it is
        > right and then build a DTD or Schema? I think it will save a lot of
        > work along the way... (could even be that, if you machine-generate
        > XML, you don't need to validate at all)

        I try to keep the DTD and XML in step for a few reasons. One is that
        the DTD is a more concise method of presenting the information when I'm
        thinking, then use the XML to prove the DTD. Another is that I'm using
        a validating parser to check my work, and that needs a DTD. Finally,
        it's a reasonably concise method of documented my earlier decisions.

        > On data entry screens: I've been busy writing a character editor for
        > myself and have some ready-made stuff to help quickly build some
        > entry screens.

        is cool. I just spent the weekend working on the garden bed and taking
        out a wall in the house.

        DM : You search the storeroom and find a barrel marked 'elf pudding'.
        Random: Elven pudding! Wonderful stuff. Gimme!
        Dolarn: We're in a goblin lair and it says 'elf pudding'. I wouldn't.
        Random: What?! You mean... <hyuuuurfff>