Re: [pcgen-xml] Current status of PCGen-XML? (message to Keith)

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19 4:13 PM
      On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 09:10:41PM -0000, rvanwees wrote:

      > I'm trying to catch up with current discussions and was looking to
      > see if I can add my skills to the group.
      >
      > Going through the threads, I was wondering: how is the group doing, 3
      > months down the road, compared to the goals you listed on Jan 14th?

      gods, has it been that long?

      I've been buying a house, preparing to move into the house, working on
      the yard in the house (prepping the garden bed this weekend), playing
      with my kids... I haven't had time to get much done here :/

      I have been working on it this week and actually posted something
      yesterday concerning weapons. I hope to get more done this weekend.

      > Also: can I be of assistance in specific areas? In everyday life, I'm
      > a (wannabe-) software architect and have reasonable Java/Python/XML
      > (/Perl) development experience.

      certainly. I can definitely use some help preparing some data entry
      screens and the like. I posted a sample of how I think weapons will
      work -- and it's different from my initial posts -- and it'd be great to
      have some sort of entry program. I've also got some sample Java I put
      together that I was using to test the sample.xml file, but haven't had
      time to work on that for a few weeks either.

      I'll post something more coherent after I get home -- I'm in the middle
      of testing a program (waiting for the data to load into the database so
      I can test it first...) so I need to get back to it. I'll try to post a
      revised roadmap sometime soon.

      DM : You search the storeroom and find a barrel marked 'elf pudding'.
      Random: Elven pudding! Wonderful stuff. Gimme!
      Dolarn: We're in a goblin lair and it says 'elf pudding'. I wouldn't.
      Random: What?! You mean... <hyuuuurfff>
    • rvanwees
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20 3:57 PM
        Keith,

        Thx for the update on the house.

        I had a quick look at the DTD and XML. I think I'll wait for
        the 'something more coherent' you mentioned. They didn't quite match
        yet when I pulled them through XMLSpy.

        A thought: would it work to just concentrate on the XML until it is
        right and then build a DTD or Schema? I think it will save a lot of
        work along the way... (could even be that, if you machine-generate
        XML, you don't need to validate at all)

        On data entry screens: I've been busy writing a character editor for
        myself and have some ready-made stuff to help quickly build some
        entry screens.

        I'll be looking forward to the updated roadmap.

        Rgds,

        Rob.

        'Fly', she chanted, and up he went...

        [ interesting stuff clipped ]

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21 8:55 PM
          On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 10:57:32PM -0000, rvanwees wrote:
          > Keith,
          >
          > Thx for the update on the house.
          >
          > I had a quick look at the DTD and XML. I think I'll wait for
          > the 'something more coherent' you mentioned. They didn't quite match
          > yet when I pulled them through XMLSpy.
          >
          > A thought: would it work to just concentrate on the XML until it is
          > right and then build a DTD or Schema? I think it will save a lot of
          > work along the way... (could even be that, if you machine-generate
          > XML, you don't need to validate at all)

          I try to keep the DTD and XML in step for a few reasons. One is that
          the DTD is a more concise method of presenting the information when I'm
          thinking, then use the XML to prove the DTD. Another is that I'm using
          a validating parser to check my work, and that needs a DTD. Finally,
          it's a reasonably concise method of documented my earlier decisions.

          > On data entry screens: I've been busy writing a character editor for
          > myself and have some ready-made stuff to help quickly build some
          > entry screens.

          is cool. I just spent the weekend working on the garden bed and taking
          out a wall in the house.