Current status of PCGen-XML? (message to Keith)

  • rvanwees
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
      Keith,

      I'm trying to catch up with current discussions and was looking to
      see if I can add my skills to the group.

      Going through the threads, I was wondering: how is the group doing, 3
      months down the road, compared to the goals you listed on Jan 14th?

      Also: can I be of assistance in specific areas? In everyday life, I'm
      a (wannabe-) software architect and have reasonable Java/Python/XML
      (/Perl) development experience.

      Kind regards,

      Rob.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
        On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 09:10:41PM -0000, rvanwees wrote:

        > I'm trying to catch up with current discussions and was looking to
        > see if I can add my skills to the group.
        >
        > Going through the threads, I was wondering: how is the group doing, 3
        > months down the road, compared to the goals you listed on Jan 14th?

        gods, has it been that long?

        I've been buying a house, preparing to move into the house, working on
        the yard in the house (prepping the garden bed this weekend), playing
        with my kids... I haven't had time to get much done here :/

        I have been working on it this week and actually posted something
        yesterday concerning weapons. I hope to get more done this weekend.

        > Also: can I be of assistance in specific areas? In everyday life, I'm
        > a (wannabe-) software architect and have reasonable Java/Python/XML
        > (/Perl) development experience.

        certainly. I can definitely use some help preparing some data entry
        screens and the like. I posted a sample of how I think weapons will
        work -- and it's different from my initial posts -- and it'd be great to
        have some sort of entry program. I've also got some sample Java I put
        together that I was using to test the sample.xml file, but haven't had
        time to work on that for a few weeks either.

        I'll post something more coherent after I get home -- I'm in the middle
        of testing a program (waiting for the data to load into the database so
        I can test it first...) so I need to get back to it. I'll try to post a
        revised roadmap sometime soon.

        DM : You search the storeroom and find a barrel marked 'elf pudding'.
        Random: Elven pudding! Wonderful stuff. Gimme!
        Dolarn: We're in a goblin lair and it says 'elf pudding'. I wouldn't.
        Random: What?! You mean... <hyuuuurfff>
      • rvanwees
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 2002
          Keith,

          Thx for the update on the house.

          I had a quick look at the DTD and XML. I think I'll wait for
          the 'something more coherent' you mentioned. They didn't quite match
          yet when I pulled them through XMLSpy.

          A thought: would it work to just concentrate on the XML until it is
          right and then build a DTD or Schema? I think it will save a lot of
          work along the way... (could even be that, if you machine-generate
          XML, you don't need to validate at all)

          On data entry screens: I've been busy writing a character editor for
          myself and have some ready-made stuff to help quickly build some
          entry screens.

          I'll be looking forward to the updated roadmap.

          Rgds,

          Rob.

          'Fly', she chanted, and up he went...

          [ interesting stuff clipped ]

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 21, 2002
            On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 10:57:32PM -0000, rvanwees wrote:
            > Keith,
            >
            > Thx for the update on the house.
            >
            > I had a quick look at the DTD and XML. I think I'll wait for
            > the 'something more coherent' you mentioned. They didn't quite match
            > yet when I pulled them through XMLSpy.
            >
            > A thought: would it work to just concentrate on the XML until it is
            > right and then build a DTD or Schema? I think it will save a lot of
            > work along the way... (could even be that, if you machine-generate
            > XML, you don't need to validate at all)

            I try to keep the DTD and XML in step for a few reasons. One is that
            the DTD is a more concise method of presenting the information when I'm
            thinking, then use the XML to prove the DTD. Another is that I'm using
            a validating parser to check my work, and that needs a DTD. Finally,
            it's a reasonably concise method of documented my earlier decisions.

            > On data entry screens: I've been busy writing a character editor for
            > myself and have some ready-made stuff to help quickly build some
            > entry screens.

            is cool. I just spent the weekend working on the garden bed and taking
            out a wall in the house.