RE: [pcgen-xml] reworking weapons

  • Stuart Updegrave
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19 7:31 AM
      Keith -- out of curiosity, why aren't you using XSD syntax instead of
      DTD?

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 19 10:57 AM
        On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 07:31:22AM -0700, Stuart Updegrave wrote:

        > Keith -- out of curiosity, why aren't you using XSD syntax instead of
        > DTD?

        Because I know DTD and don't know XSD, I can throw together DTD quickly,
        and the tools I use use DTD. I can get other tools, but since I use DTD
        exclusively right now I don't feel a need to.

        I expect to move to XSD eventually; I like some of the things it does
        better than DTD. For discussion, for now, I stick to DTD because it's
        convenient.

        DM : You search the storeroom and find a barrel marked 'elf pudding'.
        Random: Elven pudding! Wonderful stuff. Gimme!
        Dolarn: We're in a goblin lair and it says 'elf pudding'. I wouldn't.
        Random: What?! You mean... <hyuuuurfff>
      • lo_girard
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29 3:22 AM
          Hello,

          I'm Laurent from France and I would like to give an hand. But first
          where could I find a description of XSD syntax and DTD on the net ? I
          use XML but never heard of XSD syntax and DTD...

          Laurent
        • rvanwees
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29 5:15 AM
            --- In pcgen-xml@y..., "lo_girard" <laurent.girard1@l...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I'm Laurent from France and I would like to give an hand. But first
            > where could I find a description of XSD syntax and DTD on the net ?
            > use XML but never heard of XSD syntax and DTD...
            >
            > Laurent

            Laurent,

            Have you tried http://www.xml101.com/dtd ? It came up first in a
            google search for 'dtd tutorial'. There were lots of others, too.

            BTW, they have a tutorial on XSL as well.

            Regards,

            Rob.
          • rvanwees
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29 5:21 AM
              --- In pcgen-xml@y..., "rvanwees" <r.vanwees@c...> wrote:
              > --- In pcgen-xml@y..., "lo_girard" <laurent.girard1@l...> wrote:
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > I'm Laurent from France and I would like to give an hand. But
              first
              > > where could I find a description of XSD syntax and DTD on the
              net ?
              > > use XML but never heard of XSD syntax and DTD...
              > >
              > > Laurent
              >
              > Laurent,
              >
              > Have you tried http://www.xml101.com/dtd ? It came up first in a
              > google search for 'dtd tutorial'. There were lots of others, too.
              >
              > BTW, they have a tutorial on XSL as well.

              (omission in previous post:)

              Basicaly, DTD (Data Type Definition) and XSD (XML Schema Definition
              (?)) are ways to describe the structure of an XML file. They can be
              used to create new files and to validate if an XML file is structured
              the way it is supposed to be.

              Regards,

              Rob.
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29 7:40 AM
                On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 10:22:35AM -0000, lo_girard wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > I'm Laurent from France and I would like to give an hand. But first
                > where could I find a description of XSD syntax and DTD on the net ? I
                > use XML but never heard of XSD syntax and DTD...

                http://www.w3.org

                There's a box on the left-hand side of the screen with links to the
                various specifications. You could also check

                http://www.zvon.org

                there are a number of tutorials and references for many XML-related
                topics.