Re: reworking weapons

  • ondemannen
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 18, 2002
      Hmmm ... seems ok .. I guess. Anyway, it made me take a close look at the way the .lst files actually list the equipment types:

      **********

      Sword (Long)
      TYPE:Weapon.Martial.Melee.Standard.Slashing.Metal
      Cost:15
      WT:4
      SOURCEPAGE:p.101
      CRITMULT:x2
      CRITRANGE:2
      DAMAGE:1d8
      SIZE:M

      Longbow
      TYPE:Weapon.Martial.Ranged.Standard.Piercing.Wooden
      Cost:75
      WT:3
      SOURCEPAGE:p.99
      CRITMULT:x3
      CRITRANGE:1
      DAMAGE:1d8
      RANGE:100
      SIZE:M
      BONUS:WEAPON|DAMAGE|STRMIN0

      Arrows (20)
      TYPE:Ammunition.Standard.Wooden
      Cost:1
      WT:3
      SOURCEPAGE:p.
      BASEQTY:20

      Quarterstaff
      TYPE:Weapon.Simple.Melee.Bludgeoning.Standard.Double.Wooden
      Cost:0
      WT:4
      SOURCEPAGE:p.102
      ALTDAMAGE:1d6
      CRITMULT:x2
      CRITRANGE:1
      DAMAGE:1d6
      SIZE:L

      Dagger
      TYPE:Weapon.Dagger.Simple.Melee.Ranged.Piercing.Standard.Metal
      Cost:2
      WT:1
      SOURCEPAGE:p.100
      CRITMULT:x2
      CRITRANGE:2
      DAMAGE:1d4
      RANGE:10
      SIZE:T

      **********

      First of all I guess we should try to validate all equipment types. Set a format and stick to it.

      Some suggestions to the XML :

      **********

      <weapon id="weapon.longsword">
      <name>Longsword</name>
      <name lang="no">Langsverd</name>
      <melee crit.mult="x2" crit.range="2">
      <damage roll.num="1" roll.die="8" roll.bonus="0">
      <damage.type refid="damage-type.slashing"/>
      </damage>
      </melee>
      <physics size="M">
      <weight pound="4" kilogram="2"/>
      </physics>
      <value>
      <cost refid="15" desc="standard"/>
      <!-- Could add masterwork and magical cost after this one -->
      </value>
      <source doc-id="document.wotc.phb" page="64"/>
      <source doc-id="document.wotc.phb.no" page="67"/>
      </weapon>

      Sword (Long)
      TYPE:Weapon.Martial.Melee.Standard.Slashing.Metal
      Cost:15
      WT:4
      SOURCEPAGE:p.101
      CRITMULT:x2
      CRITRANGE:2
      DAMAGE:1d8
      SIZE:M

      I don't know ... tired ... again ...

      jens:H
    • Stuart Updegrave
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 19, 2002
        Keith -- out of curiosity, why aren't you using XSD syntax instead of
        DTD?

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 19, 2002
          On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 07:31:22AM -0700, Stuart Updegrave wrote:

          > Keith -- out of curiosity, why aren't you using XSD syntax instead of
          > DTD?

          Because I know DTD and don't know XSD, I can throw together DTD quickly,
          and the tools I use use DTD. I can get other tools, but since I use DTD
          exclusively right now I don't feel a need to.

          I expect to move to XSD eventually; I like some of the things it does
          better than DTD. For discussion, for now, I stick to DTD because it's
          convenient.

          DM : You search the storeroom and find a barrel marked 'elf pudding'.
          Random: Elven pudding! Wonderful stuff. Gimme!
          Dolarn: We're in a goblin lair and it says 'elf pudding'. I wouldn't.
          Random: What?! You mean... <hyuuuurfff>
        • lo_girard
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2002
            Hello,

            I'm Laurent from France and I would like to give an hand. But first
            where could I find a description of XSD syntax and DTD on the net ? I
            use XML but never heard of XSD syntax and DTD...

            Laurent
          • rvanwees
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29, 2002
              --- In pcgen-xml@y..., "lo_girard" <laurent.girard1@l...> wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > I'm Laurent from France and I would like to give an hand. But first
              > where could I find a description of XSD syntax and DTD on the net ?
              > use XML but never heard of XSD syntax and DTD...
              >
              > Laurent

              Laurent,

              Have you tried http://www.xml101.com/dtd ? It came up first in a
              google search for 'dtd tutorial'. There were lots of others, too.

              BTW, they have a tutorial on XSL as well.

              Regards,

              Rob.
            • rvanwees
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29, 2002
                --- In pcgen-xml@y..., "rvanwees" <r.vanwees@c...> wrote:
                > --- In pcgen-xml@y..., "lo_girard" <laurent.girard1@l...> wrote:
                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > I'm Laurent from France and I would like to give an hand. But
                first
                > > where could I find a description of XSD syntax and DTD on the
                net ?
                > > use XML but never heard of XSD syntax and DTD...
                > >
                > > Laurent
                >
                > Laurent,
                >
                > Have you tried http://www.xml101.com/dtd ? It came up first in a
                > google search for 'dtd tutorial'. There were lots of others, too.
                >
                > BTW, they have a tutorial on XSL as well.

                (omission in previous post:)

                Basicaly, DTD (Data Type Definition) and XSD (XML Schema Definition
                (?)) are ways to describe the structure of an XML file. They can be
                used to create new files and to validate if an XML file is structured
                the way it is supposed to be.

                Regards,

                Rob.
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 29, 2002
                  On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 10:22:35AM -0000, lo_girard wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I'm Laurent from France and I would like to give an hand. But first
                  > where could I find a description of XSD syntax and DTD on the net ? I
                  > use XML but never heard of XSD syntax and DTD...

                  http://www.w3.org

                  There's a box on the left-hand side of the screen with links to the
                  various specifications. You could also check

                  http://www.zvon.org

                  there are a number of tutorials and references for many XML-related
                  topics.