Re: [pcgen-xml] Re: Character data

  • Darel Finkbeiner
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4, 2002
      Umm.... wow....

      Yes, the example char.xml file is pretty shallow. Basically, I load it into
      classes inside of my program, since I'm not concerned (mainly) with
      *building* characters, only viewing them.

      The rules being inside the file are due to a request by the ... leader?...
      of the group as well as one of the PCGen ... code monkeys?.... That means
      that, yes, there are calculations being done inside the program (for them,
      PCGen, for me another program), however, I load them from XML and then
      discard the XML since it's slower to manipulate than native classes.

      The purpose for me having the file at all, is as a starting point. Many of
      the details will change, such as the ids ('feat.phb.dodge'), and other
      details. At this point I am mostly tracking any developments on the list
      since I'm deeply involved in other projects right now. (Namely a Traveller
      subsector mapping program in OpenGL). As soon as any progress is made I'll
      move to adjust my programs to match whatever comes out.

      As I said, I'm using a character viewer, and wanting to use the XML output of
      PCGen (when it's finished) for loading into my program (d20 ListView). The
      current version just uses internal Python classes for the data that it needs
      to display. I would love to incorporate PCGen files, but until more progress
      is made, I'm concentrating on my other projects....

      Anyway, if you have anything you want to publish, just email it to me
      (darelf@...) and I'll put it up on the anonymous ftp server for
      other people, if you want. Plus it'll give me a chance to look at it.

      Oh, and, nice to meet you....