Re: [pcgen-xml] Re: XML and PCC

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2002
      Eric Beaudoin wrote on Thu Mar 21 19:49:18 2002:

      > At 19:57 2002.03.21, you wrote:
      > >--- In pcgen-xml@y..., Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> I know it is just an example but we should all get used to drop
      > >the "data". It is no longer part of any path that can in the .lst.
      > >
      > >What variable will I be able to fetch the "wotc" and "phb.pcc"
      > >acronyme from ?
      > >
      > >Will someone make a list or will it get added to the pcc/lst files in
      > >later versions ?
      > >
      > >jens:H
      >
      > We'll have to come with a way to generate them from the SOURCESHORT
      > fields I think. If we need to had tags that won't be used by PCGEN, we
      > should use pragmas like #EXTRAFILE.
      >
      > I'm willing to add them to all the files as soon as we have a way to
      > generate them and make them part of the main distribution.

      I was thinking about having a high-level file (in that it's high in the
      directory structure, perhaps in the same directory as the program, even,
      that contains file mappings, something like:

      <filemap>
      <file id="wotc.phb.races" href="dnd/wotc/phb/races.xml" />
      <file id="wotc.phb.classes" href="dnd/wotc/phb/classes.xml" />
      <file id="wotc.dmg.classes" href="dnd/wotc/dmg/classes.xml" />
      <file id="wotc.dmg.magic" href="dnd/wotc/dmg/magic.xml" />
      <file id="sss.rr.spells" href="dnd/sss/relics_rituals/spells.xml" />
      <file id="sss.rr.magic" href="dnd/sss/relics_rituals/magic.xml" />
      <!-- etc -->
      </filemap>

      Then the <include>s in the file above (at the top) would refer to the IDs
      instead. This can make the structure a little more resilient in the face
      of change because the paths aren't hardcoded into the program, and it can
      possibly even make it easier to prove the <include>s are correct, or that
      they at least point to something we *think* is a valid file. It can also
      make it easier to check the files because there is a nice convenient file
      containing all the files we 'think' we know about.

      Evil High Priest: "Leave now, if you value your skins."
      Garrick: "I'm all for it."