Re: [pcgen-xml] Re: XML Design Guidelines

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5 1:36 PM
      Peter Kahle wrote on Tue Feb 5 13:04:04 2002:

      > On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 12:40:43PM -0800, Keith Davies wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm trying to keep them down, but not to a minimum. When it really
      > > does describe something different (such as a reference to a list rather
      > > than an object) I'd rather have a different element.
      > >

      > Fair enough.
      >
      > > For instance, at one point I was tempted to just make the classification
      > > objects <list>s -- regardless of what they were listing. Makes it nice,
      > > simple, and consistent. All good things. However, the ability to find
      > > lists of certain things (such as of weapons, or spells, and so on) made
      > > that a poor decision, so I decided not to go that way.
      >
      > Um... wouldn't matching on list[@type='weapon'] be more or less the same
      > as matching on weapon-list? I mean, probably a little more processing
      > needed, but functionally pretty mucht he same, right?

      It would, actually... and the classification and assignment elements are
      meant to be fairly simple, as their only purpose is to allow me to group
      things in multiple ways. Hmm... it might be nice to have only a single
      <list> element; this could simplify many things for me.

      > > I'm still trying to figure out a nice way of doing spell assignments --
      > > getting them into the right list is easy, but specifying the levels in
      > > a useful manner is annoying. The list assignment will work much like
      > > above, and for the same reasons (the assignment is separate from the
      > > reference and classification objects to reduce the impact of adding
      > > new reference or classification objects).

      <bigsnip />

      > I agree with you that Option 2 is pretty ugly, but by combining it with
      > Option 3, you may be able to simplify domains, and those cases where you
      > would have a very few spells in a level. For example:
      >
      > <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration" />
      > <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.1" />
      > <list-entries list-id="spell-list.abjuration.1">
      > <spell-ref refid="spell.shield" level="1"/>
      > </list-entries>
      > <list-entries list-id="spell-list.abjuration">
      > <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.1" />
      > <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.2" level="2" />
      > <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.3" level="3" />
      > <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.4" level="4" />
      > <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.5" level="5" />
      > <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.6" level="6" />
      > <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.7" level="7" />
      > <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.8" level="8" />
      > <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.9" level="9" />
      > </list-entries>
      >
      > Basically, use spell-list-ref and spell-ref and allow you to define the
      > level for either. if you have a defined level for a spell in a list that
      > you're re-defining the level as you make a composite list, then use the
      > spell-list-ref's level instead of the spell-ref's. It's not perfect, but
      > it seems like it might be the best of the available options. Then again,
      > it might leave too much flexibility, at the expense of the ease of
      > processing. Let me know what you think.

      I considered allowing the level to be set in either <spell-list> or in
      <spell-ref>, but I don't like the possible ambiguity that introduces. If
      someone sets <spell-ref level="2"/> and then does <spell-list level="3"/>,
      even though the program may act consistently it could confuse the user.

      The simplest, perhaps, would be to include @level as an attribute of
      <spell-list>, then have the master <spell-list> contain references to
      the internal lists... that would be the most consistent with the other
      classifications. However, given that the level-based sublists really
      *are* sublists of the master list, and can't be used by other lists,
      I think it may be best to declare them as such. That makes it easy
      to identify the top-level <spell-lists>, but still allow assignments
      to them. At this point, I think

      <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration" name="Abjuration">
      <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.0" name="Abjuration 0" level="0" />
      <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.1" name="Abjuration 1" level="1" />
      <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.2" name="Abjuration 2" level="2" />
      <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.3" name="Abjuration 3" level="3" />
      <spell-list id="spell-list.abjuration.4" name="Abjuration 4" level="4" />
      </spell-list>

      may actually be the way to go. I'm not entirely happy about it yet,
      though.

      Logan: "I don't think it's a good idea."
      Raven: "The vote is three to one against you -- me, the crystal ball,
      and the little voices in your head."
    • giliath01
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6 8:34 AM
        ><weapon-list id="weapon-list.axes" name="Axes">
        > <ref refid="weapon.battleaxe"/>
        > <ref refid="weapon.handaxe"/>
        > <ref refid="weapon.greataxe"/>
        ></weapon-list>
        >
        >and so on. However, this is (theoretically) beyond the scope of this
        >project... it's up to the front-end folks to figure out what they
        >want to do -- we just have to be able to represent the data in a
        useful
        >way. I do expect to make recommendations to them, though.

        Regretably, that transformation will be rather difficult to do
        because there is no way to identify the type that a particular list
        applies to. If you have just a generic list-entries assignment,
        without inspection into the actual data that the reference ids have
        inside the gui group will not be able to determine that the list is a
        <weapon-list>. I am not sure, but I don't think the XSLT
        transformation engines can do that type of manipulation without a lot
        of work.

        Now you could add some outer wrappers to get types of information
        together like this:

        <races>
        <specifications />
        <classifications />
        <assignments />
        </races>

        This would give it a more explicit grouping and make it easier to do
        an XSLT transformation like you described above. If you don't have
        an explicit mapping that allows you to group all of the <list-
        entries> that are races together you have no way of knowing that a
        list contains races without doing inspection into what it contains.

        >I considered something like this once, for another schema. Frankly,
        >it was a pain in the ass to use. <ref> (or <entry>, above) tend to
        >be fairly obvious in context. That it is a reference to a race can
        >be inferred by the ID (<entry refid="race.elf"/>, f'rex) and context.
        >Having to use specifical <*-ref> types got to be annoying, especially
        >when they're all doing the same thing. I could see some small gain
        >in that it describes the data in higher detail, but -- at this
        point --
        >I don't think it's gains enough to be worth the trouble.

        While I understand how it is a pain in the ass to use <ref> entries,
        this approach give a more explicit definition for both the XML editor
        and more importantly for the java developer doing the data loading.
        When creating lists inside the java you want to be able to explicitly
        know that every reference object inside this list is of an
        appropriate type, but there is no typing at all on the lists.

        Both of these suggestions come back to the same problem. If we
        genericize the data too much, it is much more difficult to display a
        list of races. With the assignments you are proposing, without
        hardcoding IDs into the java, how do you identify that a particular
        list is a list of races? what is a list of classes? The java
        developer that is loading this data shouldn't have to do
        validation to make sure that lists contain appropriate groups, that
        should be taken care of in the XML definition.

        ~David