Re: [pcgen-xml] Re: Expanded pcg proposal

  • Eric Jarman
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 6, 2005
      Ok, then let me edit and formalize a bit:

      REQUIRED:

      META-INF/manifest.xml
      mimetype
      meta.xml
      -- Information for the package
      PCGen/pcg.xml
      -- The character itself

      OPTIONAL:

      content.xml
      style.xml
      -- OpenDocument formatted preview of the character sheet.
      -- Ideally, this could look exactly like the preview panel.

      export.xml
      -- Raw numbers to use to import into other programs.
      -- Depending on how the data works out, could this be done with
      only the info in content.xml?

      Pictures/*
      -- Pictures of characters, equipment, holy symbols, etc.
      Thumbnails/*
      -- Smaller pics, could be included inline in an equipment sheet.

      PCGen/customdata/*
      -- All the custom data relating to the character(s) in this file
      PCGen/customdata/equipment.lst
      PCGen/customdata/deities.lst
      etc.

      PCGen/followers/*
      -- Character files for the followers
      Option1:
      PCGen/followers/<name1>.pcg.xml
      PCGen/followers/<name2>.pcg.xml
      -- I would use single files under this directory if we can have a
      good way to collapse all custom data and equipment for all the
      characters down into PCGen/customdata/*.
      Option2:
      PCGen/followers/<name1>/pcg.xml
      PCGen/followers/<name1>/customdata/*
      -- Otherwise, it should be a directory with multiple files for
      each character.
      PCGen/followers/<name1>/followers/*
      -- And besides, why can't a follower have followers of his own?

      PCGen/outputsheets/*
      -- By config option, if user wants to pregenerate output on save.
      PCGen/outputsheets/pdf/*
      PCGen/outputsheets/html/*
      etc.

      PCGen/debug/*
      -- Each entry under here should be selectable by a config option
      for how much debugging the user wants.
      PCGen/debug/log.xml
      -- The section2 log
      PCGen/debug/options.ini
      -- The pcgen system options file
      PCGen/debug/outputsheets/*
      -- The transform files for any generated outputsheets.
      PCGen/debug/data/*
      -- Copies of the data used to generate the character

      Directories for other character generator programs:
      OpenRPG/*
      DMGenie/*
      etc..

      Anything I left out?
      OracleofBargth.
    • Paul W. King
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 12, 2005
        LOL

        Just getting the built-in editors to work well has been an effort for a number of years now. I think that, if the code team were
        to focus solely on the editors, they'd work on getting just the flat-file stuff working first before going towards the zipped
        architecture.

        Paul W. King
        OGL/PL/TM Chimp, Data Gibbon