Re: [pcgen-xml] Re: Expanded pcg proposal

  • Devon Jones
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 5, 2005
      Eric Jarman wrote:

      >I'd like to suggest the following:
      >
      >content.xml -- The outputsheet in OpenDocument format.

      content.xml doesn't have any formatting information, so we would need to
      have content.xml & style.xml.

      One cool thing about this is that making an output sheet for
      content.xml/style.xml will be stupid easy, cause we can just write up
      the sheet in open office, with the export tokens as the text (like |HP|
      where hit points should be, since it stores it as xml)

      >meta.xml -- timestamp, etc.
      >settings.xml -- info related to the output sheet.
      > paper size, which OS was used to generate content.xml, etc.
      >mimetype -- the mimetype
      >
      >export.xml -- (optional) raw numbers to import into other programs
      >
      > (section3)
      >
      >META-INF/manifest.xml -- file list
      >
      >Pictures/* -- (optional) images included
      >
      >debug/* -- (optional) info for debugging character files
      > could use config options to determine how much to save here
      >debug/log.xml -- the log (section2) as suggested before
      >debug/options.ini -- a copy of the pcgen options.ini file
      >debug/outputsheet.xml -- a copy of the outputsheet used for content.xml

      because content.xml works the way it does, it's really just text
      strings, the outputsheet is probably more going to be for style.xml, but
      in principal, that's not a bad idea

      >debug/data/* -- copies of the datasets loaded for the character

      Deffinitely optional, but not a bad idea if someone turns on debug mode,
      cause then we can see all of what is actually going on.

      >PCGen/* -- actual info for the character
      >PCGen/pcg.xml -- (section1) data needed by pcgen to build the character.
      >PCGen/equipment.lst -- custom equipment for the character

      Just put this in customdata

      >PCGen/customdata/* -- (optional) lstfiles for any custom data generated
      > by the lst editors used by this character.

      Not a bad idea storing custom lst in the pcg, it's always irritating
      when you load your character on another pcgen instance, and it's missing
      the custom stuff you input for that char.

      >PCGen/followers/* -- (optional) info for followers.
      >PCGen/followers/<name1>/pcg.xml
      >PCGen/followers/<name1>/equipment.lst

      Same as above for customdata

      >PCGen/followers/<name2>/pcg.xml
      >PCGen/followers/<name2>/equipment.lst

      again.

      Not sure if I want to embed the xml, or whole xpcg files - so that they
      can have their own export sheets in it. another way to deal with that
      would be export.xml files in their directories, or making export.xml
      tolerate more then one character in it. I suppose one could also export
      *all* characters into content.xml/style.xml

      >etc...
      >
      >Then any other directories for other programs.
      >
      >What do you think?

      I like it, but lets move debug into the program dir.

      >OracleofBargth.

      Devon
    • Paul W. King
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 12, 2005
        LOL

        Just getting the built-in editors to work well has been an effort for a number of years now. I think that, if the code team were
        to focus solely on the editors, they'd work on getting just the flat-file stuff working first before going towards the zipped
        architecture.

        Paul W. King
        OGL/PL/TM Chimp, Data Gibbon