Re: [pcgen-xml] Expanded pcg proposal

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 5, 2005
      > > Why would the PCGen character data, i.e. the current PCG file, or
      the
      > > previous "section 1", not be "content"?
      >
      > We're definately looking at the issues of packaging format vs. content
      > format here. Welcome to a world of tedium. :-)

      Tell me about it.

      > It is content. It's not a recognized OpenDocument format, though, so
      > we should be careful that it can't be confused with such. (But I
      > really need to spend more time reading those specifications myself.)

      I have to ask why adherence to the OpenDocument format is so important.
      I'm not saying it isn't, just asking why it is. What does it gain us
      besides being able to say that it's true?

      > No, that's META-INF/manifest.xml. mimetype contains the MIME type
      > that should be used for the entire package.

      My bad. I don't know where my brain was when I asked this. It's no
      different from the mime-type in an HTML or XML files.

      > > I'll point out that Windows doesn't care a lick about mime-type,
      > depending on the extension instead.

      > No kidding. MSIE doesn't even like using MIME-type information from
      > HTTP responses, where that's exactly what it should be using.

      Fortunately, there are alternatives that *do* recognize the content-type
      tag, such as Firefox, so I encourage everyone to use that whenever I
      can. :-)

      > For documents that are created by PCgen, a distinct extension should
      > be used, so that Windows is kept happy. There should be a specific
      > (and registered!) MIME type for that case as well, and that MIME type
      > should be stored in the mimetype file within the package file.

      And given that every OS that is currently capable of running PCGen also
      supports so-called "long" file names, I don't think that extension
      should be limited to three characters, and risk overlapping with
      something else.

      > Yes, I'm somewhat Windows-hostile myself, but I recognize that some of
      > us have to get along with it. My hostility stems from the days when
      > I'm forced to be in that camp due to customer requirements. :-(

      If one recognizes that Windows and *nix were originally targeted towards
      different audiences, the problems become easier to accept. They are
      both migrating towards the same thing, though.

      Brad
    • Paul W. King
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 12, 2005
        LOL

        Just getting the built-in editors to work well has been an effort for a number of years now. I think that, if the code team were
        to focus solely on the editors, they'd work on getting just the flat-file stuff working first before going towards the zipped
        architecture.

        Paul W. King
        OGL/PL/TM Chimp, Data Gibbon