Re: [pcgen-xml] Re: Then...

  • Devon Jones
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2005
      Brass Tilde wrote:

      >To a certain extent, I agree, but with a properly configured schema, and
      >a schema aware editor and parser, the results could be much more easily
      >validated than they are now, i.e. they could be validated for
      >parseability (if not correctness), prior to ever being loaded in the
      >program.
      >
      >However, describing PCGen data in such a way as to make a schema
      >actually worth anything is a monumental task all by itself. It's a
      >relatively easy thing to write a schema/editor for skills such that the
      >user wouldn't be allowed to enter data that couldn't be parsed. It's
      >another thing entirely to write such a thing for classes and bonuses
      >that will work correctly.

      Consider that it's even harder now, cause pcgen supports adding new
      tokens via plugin. No real good way to support that via xml.....

      Devon
    • Brass Tilde
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5, 2005
        > >However, describing PCGen data in such a way as to make a schema
        > >actually worth anything is a monumental task all by itself. It's a
        > >relatively easy thing to write a schema/editor for skills such that
        the
        > >user wouldn't be allowed to enter data that couldn't be parsed. It's
        > >another thing entirely to write such a thing for classes and bonuses
        > >that will work correctly.

        > Consider that it's even harder now, cause pcgen supports adding new
        > tokens via plugin. No real good way to support that via xml.....

        Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Again however, properly constructed
        schemas could be merged into one "master" schema. A schema aware editor
        that was sensitive to syntax changes *without* having to recompile would
        be *sweet* though, wouldn't it? :-)
      • Gargola
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 2005
          Analizando todos sus comentarios, esto es lo que he decidido hacer:
          Ayudare trabajando en un diseño completo de XML para proponerlo como
          estándar para futuras actualizaciones del PCGen y el resto de los
          programas generadores de caracteres.
          Espero contar con el análisis y la ayuda de Andargor.
          Mientras tanto trabajare en un prototipo bilingüe del XML-PCGen para
          presentarlo como propuesta a ser asimilado y mejorado por todos en el
          proyecto de PCGen.
          Espero Nico me apoye en esta parte.
          Gracias a todos.
          Translation:
          Analyzing all the commentaries, this is what I have decided to do:
          It will help working in a complete design of XML to propose it like
          standard for future updates of the PCGen and the rest of the
          character generators programs. I hope to count on the analysis and
          the aid of Andargor.
          Meanwhile it will work in a bilingual prototype of the XML-PCGen to
          present it like proposal to be assimilated and be improved by all in
          the PCGen project.
          I want Nico supports to me in this part.
          Thanks to all.

          Alograg
        • Devon Jones
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2005
            Gargola wrote:

            >Analizando todos sus comentarios, esto es lo que he decidido hacer:
            >Ayudare trabajando en un diseño completo de XML para proponerlo como
            >estándar para futuras actualizaciones del PCGen y el resto de los
            >programas generadores de caracteres.
            >Espero contar con el análisis y la ayuda de Andargor.
            >Mientras tanto trabajare en un prototipo bilingüe del XML-PCGen para
            >presentarlo como propuesta a ser asimilado y mejorado por todos en el
            >proyecto de PCGen.
            >Espero Nico me apoye en esta parte.
            >Gracias a todos.
            >Translation:
            >Analyzing all the commentaries, this is what I have decided to do:
            >It will help working in a complete design of XML to propose it like
            >standard for future updates of the PCGen and the rest of the
            >character generators programs. I hope to count on the analysis and
            >the aid of Andargor.
            >Meanwhile it will work in a bilingual prototype of the XML-PCGen to
            >present it like proposal to be assimilated and be improved by all in
            >the PCGen project.
            >I want Nico supports to me in this part.
            >Thanks to all.
            >

            >Alograg

            Excellent, thanks !

            Devon
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 5, 2005
              --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Gargola" <alograg@y...> wrote:
              > Analizando todos sus comentarios, esto es lo que he decidido hacer:
              > Ayudare trabajando en un diseño completo de XML para proponerlo como
              > estándar para futuras actualizaciones del PCGen y el resto de los
              > programas generadores de caracteres.
              > Espero contar con el análisis y la ayuda de Andargor.
              > Mientras tanto trabajare en un prototipo bilingüe del XML-PCGen para
              > presentarlo como propuesta a ser asimilado y mejorado por todos en el
              > proyecto de PCGen.
              > Espero Nico me apoye en esta parte.
              > Gracias a todos.
              > Translation:
              > Analyzing all the commentaries, this is what I have decided to do:
              > It will help working in a complete design of XML to propose it like
              > standard for future updates of the PCGen and the rest of the
              > character generators programs. I hope to count on the analysis and
              > the aid of Andargor.
              > Meanwhile it will work in a bilingual prototype of the XML-PCGen to
              > present it like proposal to be assimilated and be improved by all in
              > the PCGen project.
              > I want Nico supports to me in this part.
              > Thanks to all.
              >

              > Alograg

              That's great. I'm wondering, does the OpenDocument format include
              language support? I've been toying with RDF, which is totally
              irrelevant here, but the standard way things are implemented are with
              labels with the language attribute (e.g. <rdf:label
              lang="en">Hello</rdf:label><rdf:label lang="es">Hola</rdf:label>).

              This makes it very easy to include different languages, and even XSLT
              them in later.

              Andargor
            • Devon Jones
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 6, 2005
                andargor wrote:

                >--- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Gargola" <alograg@y...> wrote:
                >

                >>Analizando todos sus comentarios, esto es lo que he decidido hacer:
                >>Ayudare trabajando en un diseño completo de XML para proponerlo como
                >>estándar para futuras actualizaciones del PCGen y el resto de los
                >>programas generadores de caracteres.
                >>Espero contar con el análisis y la ayuda de Andargor.
                >>Mientras tanto trabajare en un prototipo bilingüe del XML-PCGen para
                >>presentarlo como propuesta a ser asimilado y mejorado por todos en el
                >>proyecto de PCGen.
                >>Espero Nico me apoye en esta parte.
                >>Gracias a todos.
                >>Translation:
                >>Analyzing all the commentaries, this is what I have decided to do:
                >>It will help working in a complete design of XML to propose it like
                >>standard for future updates of the PCGen and the rest of the
                >>character generators programs. I hope to count on the analysis and
                >>the aid of Andargor.
                >>Meanwhile it will work in a bilingual prototype of the XML-PCGen to
                >>present it like proposal to be assimilated and be improved by all in
                >>the PCGen project.
                >>I want Nico supports to me in this part.
                >>Thanks to all.
                >>

                >>Alograg
                >>

                >That's great. I'm wondering, does the OpenDocument format include
                >language support? I've been toying with RDF, which is totally
                >irrelevant here, but the standard way things are implemented are with
                >labels with the language attribute (e.g. <rdf:label
                >lang="en">Hello</rdf:label><rdf:label lang="es">Hola</rdf:label>).
                >
                >This makes it very easy to include different languages, and even XSLT
                >them in later.
                >
                >Andargor

                Yeah, a *huge* amount of the work went into internationalization.
                OpenDocument is on the fast track to become an ISO standard, so it
                requires support for not only other languages, but even support for
                whacky other symbols needed by some relatively obscure entities for
                supporting some pretty obscure glyphs.

                Devon
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 6, 2005
                  --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Devon Jones <soulcatcher@e...> wrote:

                  > Yeah, a *huge* amount of the work went into internationalization.
                  > OpenDocument is on the fast track to become an ISO standard, so it
                  > requires support for not only other languages, but even support for
                  > whacky other symbols needed by some relatively obscure entities for
                  > supporting some pretty obscure glyphs.
                  >
                  > Devon

                  I almost expected you to use the word "arcane". ;)