Re: [pcgen-xml] Expanded pcg proposal

  • Fred Drake
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 3, 2005
      On 10/3/05, Devon Jones <soulcatcher@...> wrote:
      > Ok, I have put some more thought into this, and I have an expanded
      > proposal. I want to do what Java, and the OpenDocument people have
      > done. I want a pcg format that is actually a number of files, in a
      > specific directory structure, stored in a zip file.

      +1 -- This is very easy to work with in different languages these days.

      > OpenDocument stores the following files:
      > * XML files
      > o content.xml
      > o meta.xml
      > o settings.xml
      > o styles.xml

      It looks like PCgen wouldn't be using any of these; is that right?

      > * Other files
      > o mimetype

      Hmm. What this should be for composite documents like you've
      described, I just don't know. It sounds like I could have a document
      that's both an OpenOffice Writer document and a PCgen character.

      Probably a minor nit for those stuck in the Windows world.

      > /
      > - settings.xml - currently, we export certain settings in the base.xml,
      > such as paper size. this has *nothing* to do with the character data.
      > Settings.xml would be the right place for that

      Yes; this must stay aligned with the OpenDocument stuff.

      > - meta.xml - Would be useful for storing meta information, such as
      > creation time, username of the person who created the file, language
      > settings, etc

      This is still good, so long as there's no deviation from the
      OpenDocument specification.

      > - mimetime - for storing the mime type, so that extension, while useful,
      > becomes immaterial. This means that this base format and directory
      > structure could be used for more then one file type.

      See my note above about highly-composite documents based on this sort
      of JAR paradigm.

      > - export.xml- what we were referring to as "Section 3" Technically, any
      > program that can do characters should be able to build this file.
      >
      > - log.xml - a place where the program can store any type of log
      > information it wants. Should be non-destructive, each program that
      > writes this file out should only append. This is what we were calling
      > seciton 2.

      Hmm. We definately have different ideas here. I do think that yours
      take precedence, since I'm unlikely to actually scratch together
      enough time to create something that takes advantage of all that I've
      described for this.

      I think both of these should be located in the PCgen-specific
      directory you describe, and not at the top-level directory in the
      archive.

      > Attachments/
      > for storing any other related files. Can include other files of the
      > exact same type for storing things like followers/mounts/etc

      ZIP with ZIP files included? Could be, but less efficient to work
      with. Could be just an additional tree that represents each separate
      being. Not sure which would be best, and not sure Attachments/ is
      best or making it a separate top-level directory.

      -Fred

      --
      Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at gmail.com>
      "Society attacks early, when the individual is helpless." --B.F. Skinner
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 12, 2005
        LOL

        Just getting the built-in editors to work well has been an effort for a number of years now. I think that, if the code team were
        to focus solely on the editors, they'd work on getting just the flat-file stuff working first before going towards the zipped
        architecture.

        Paul W. King
        OGL/PL/TM Chimp, Data Gibbon