Re: Propuesta...

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
      --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Gargola" <alograg@y...> wrote:
      > Yo les tengo una propuesta, ya que se cambiaria el modelo de guardar
      > datos, por que no diseñar un nuevo modelo de datos mas sencillo y
      > desarrollar a partir de ese modelo.
      > Yo cree un modelo XML que me funciona para guardar mis personajes, se
      > encuenta en los archivos como CGargola-XML-Model, como soy de México
      > esta en español y todavía no esta desarrollado correctamente el DTD y
      > el XSD, y la presentación del XSLT es muy sencilla.
      > Estoy pensando en desarrollar mi propio programa pero al encontrar que
      > el PCGen y que esta desarrollando su versión XML, me detuve para ver si
      > el proyecto se encamina por donde yo y mi grupo queremos o desarrollar
      > el nuestro propio, espero se tome en cuenta más a los jugadores de
      > latino América, ya que no todos leen ingles.
      > Espero les sirva mi archivo y consideren mi propuesta.
      > Alograg
      > PS:
      > Please read Spanish, much work costs to me to express me in english, if
      > you cannot, i will try to express me in english.
      > Thanks

      Hola,

      I don't speak spanish myself (just survival spanish for trips :), but
      I used Google Translate to read your message. I'll post here so
      non-spanish speakers can understand what you are saying. I'll answer
      after.

      Translation (approximate):

      "I have a proposal to them, since exchange the model to keep data, so
      that not to design a new simple data modeling but and to develop from
      that model. I create I model XML that works me to keep my personages,
      encuenta in the archives like CGargola-XML-Model, as I am still of
      Mexico this in Spanish and not this correctly developed to the DTD and
      the XSD, and the presentation of the XSLT is very simple. I am
      thinking about developing to my own program but when finding that the
      PCGen and that this developing its version XML, I stopped to see if
      the project is directed by where I and my group we want or to develop
      the our own one, I hope is taken into account more the players from
      Latin America, since all do not read ingles. I hope serves my file to
      them and consider my proposal."

      Unfortunately, currently there are no plans to convert PCGen data sets
      to XML, although this has been discussed for quite some time.

      I've been thinking about some sort of conversion program to/from
      XML/PCGen data set for a long time. However I don't have the time for
      it, and it would be moderately difficult because of the PCGen internal
      handling of feats and class features.

      I did open a FREQ to allow OpenRPG import/export (they use XML), which
      would essentially allow people to share character files. I don't think
      its a high priority, but I am still hoping it will be implemented.

      As for your own custom XML format, from what I understand, I would
      suggest you use a "well known" format so that you can reuse it with
      other tools. Perhaps taking a look at the formats for OpenRPG,
      DMGenie, and other tools would help.

      As for Spanish support, I'm not sure, but I think PCGen supports it...
      Are you looking for Spanish output sheets? Or perhaps you were talking
      about an XML output sheet in Spanish? That is already supported.

      I hope I understood correctly... :)

      Regards,

      Andargor
    • Ysgarran
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
        >I've been thinking about some sort of conversion program to/from
        >XML/PCGen data set for a long time. However I don't have the time for
        >it, and it would be moderately difficult because of the PCGen internal
        >handling of feats and class features.

        Back a ways when one of the programmers went into PCGen and put in a
        persistence layer I wrote some code that converted the LST files into
        XML files. I believe that particular set of code is long gone but I
        will probalby take a look for it anyways when I get home tonight.

        I did not read the LST files myself, what I did is put hooks into the
        persistence layer. That code would take the PCGen internal
        representation and write it back out into an XML format. What do you
        think, would it be usefull to go back down that path or not?

        Ysgarran.

        p.s.
        Now that I think about it, that code is probably sitting on a hard drive
        that is not currently connected to any computers. I have my doubts
        about how usefull it is at this moment since I believe that PCGen code
        base has migrated quite a bit since that time.
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
          On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 12:34:29PM -0400, Ysgarran wrote:

          > >I've been thinking about some sort of conversion program to/from
          > >XML/PCGen data set for a long time. However I don't have the time for
          > >it, and it would be moderately difficult because of the PCGen internal
          > >handling of feats and class features.
          >
          > Back a ways when one of the programmers went into PCGen and put in a
          > persistence layer I wrote some code that converted the LST files into
          > XML files. I believe that particular set of code is long gone but I
          > will probalby take a look for it anyways when I get home tonight.
          >
          > I did not read the LST files myself, what I did is put hooks into the
          > persistence layer. That code would take the PCGen internal
          > representation and write it back out into an XML format. What do you
          > think, would it be usefull to go back down that path or not?

          Not terribly, I think. It was decided a long time (*long* time -- about
          three years ago) that simply changing the syntax from not-XML-LST to
          XML-LST just makes the data more verbose without adding much benefit,
          and that it would be better to actually model the data rather than the
          LST files.

          There would be some benefit from the XML perspective in modeling LST
          with XML -- makes it easier to work with other XML tools, at least --
          but PCGen wouldn't gain anything from this at this point. It would
          largely simplify the parsing code, I think, but that would be new code
          that would need to be tested, etc., and would invalidate the tools data
          monkeys currently use.

          That said, it looks like the changes being made now are bringing the
          data model somewhat closer to what we were developing here a couple of
          years ago. Not entirely, but with the changes being made to the
          architecture it may be possible to bring a reasonable XML representation
          to the program.

          Just chatting with Devon. The code changes will make it easier, and he
          wants to use XML when CDOM gets brought in. At least for the character
          file format -- he still wants to use the LST files for other data, for
          now at least.

          *However*, what he's just asked me for is an interesting thing... and
          pretty simple, actually.

          Keith Davies "Always code as if the guy who ends up
          keith.davies@... maintaining your code is a psychopath
          keith.davies@... who knows where you live."
          http://www.kjdavies.org/ -- Damian Conway
        • Ysgarran
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
            Back a ways when one of the programmers went into PCGen and put in a
            I did not read the LST files myself, what I did is put hooks into the
            persistence layer.  That code would take the PCGen internal
            representation and write it back out into an XML format.  What do you
            think, would it be usefull to go back down that path or not?

            Not terribly, I think.  It was decided a long time (*long* time -- about
            three years ago) that simply changing the syntax from not-XML-LST to
            XML-LST just makes the data more verbose without adding much benefit,
            and that it would be better to actually model the data rather than the
            LST files.

            Just to be clear on a point.  The result was not just a translation from a LST to a XML file.   Since the XML
            I was emitting was based on the internal PCGen data model the resulting XML did not look like the
            corresponding LST file.  Now, whether that internal PCGen data model is a good direction to the XML
            is a different question.
            I was impressed with what Frugal did with the XML based character generator 0.1, even though I did not
            grok everything he was doing with it.  From a gut level, that seems to be the best direction for the PCGen XML.

            Ysgarran.