Re: [pcgen-xml] Propuesta...

  • Nicolás Salinas Betancur
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28 7:52 PM
      che soy nico de argentina me copa tu propuesta, add me al msn nicosalinas@...
      un abrazo man
      y saludos desde BA

      El día 28/09/05, Gargola <alograg@...> escribió:
      Yo les tengo una propuesta, ya que se cambiaria el modelo de guardar
      datos, por que no diseñar un nuevo modelo de datos mas sencillo y
      desarrollar a partir de ese modelo.
      Yo cree un modelo XML que me funciona para guardar mis personajes, se
      encuenta en los archivos como CGargola-XML-Model, como soy de México
      esta en español y todavía no esta desarrollado correctamente el DTD y
      el XSD, y la presentación del XSLT es muy sencilla.
      Estoy pensando en desarrollar mi propio programa pero al encontrar que
      el PCGen y que esta desarrollando su versión XML, me detuve para ver si
      el proyecto se encamina por donde yo y mi grupo queremos o desarrollar
      el nuestro propio, espero se tome en cuenta más a los jugadores de
      latino América, ya que no todos leen ingles.
      Espero les sirva mi archivo y consideren mi propuesta.
      Alograg
      PS:
      Please read Spanish, much work costs to me to express me in english, if
      you cannot, i will try to express me in english.
      Thanks

      Xml schema Computer internet security Computer internet business
      Computer internet access Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      --
      Nicolás Salinas Betancur
      Foundation Citizen
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29 6:30 AM
        --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Gargola" <alograg@y...> wrote:
        > Yo les tengo una propuesta, ya que se cambiaria el modelo de guardar
        > datos, por que no diseñar un nuevo modelo de datos mas sencillo y
        > desarrollar a partir de ese modelo.
        > Yo cree un modelo XML que me funciona para guardar mis personajes, se
        > encuenta en los archivos como CGargola-XML-Model, como soy de México
        > esta en español y todavía no esta desarrollado correctamente el DTD y
        > el XSD, y la presentación del XSLT es muy sencilla.
        > Estoy pensando en desarrollar mi propio programa pero al encontrar que
        > el PCGen y que esta desarrollando su versión XML, me detuve para ver si
        > el proyecto se encamina por donde yo y mi grupo queremos o desarrollar
        > el nuestro propio, espero se tome en cuenta más a los jugadores de
        > latino América, ya que no todos leen ingles.
        > Espero les sirva mi archivo y consideren mi propuesta.
        > Alograg
        > PS:
        > Please read Spanish, much work costs to me to express me in english, if
        > you cannot, i will try to express me in english.
        > Thanks

        Hola,

        I don't speak spanish myself (just survival spanish for trips :), but
        I used Google Translate to read your message. I'll post here so
        non-spanish speakers can understand what you are saying. I'll answer
        after.

        Translation (approximate):

        "I have a proposal to them, since exchange the model to keep data, so
        that not to design a new simple data modeling but and to develop from
        that model. I create I model XML that works me to keep my personages,
        encuenta in the archives like CGargola-XML-Model, as I am still of
        Mexico this in Spanish and not this correctly developed to the DTD and
        the XSD, and the presentation of the XSLT is very simple. I am
        thinking about developing to my own program but when finding that the
        PCGen and that this developing its version XML, I stopped to see if
        the project is directed by where I and my group we want or to develop
        the our own one, I hope is taken into account more the players from
        Latin America, since all do not read ingles. I hope serves my file to
        them and consider my proposal."

        Unfortunately, currently there are no plans to convert PCGen data sets
        to XML, although this has been discussed for quite some time.

        I've been thinking about some sort of conversion program to/from
        XML/PCGen data set for a long time. However I don't have the time for
        it, and it would be moderately difficult because of the PCGen internal
        handling of feats and class features.

        I did open a FREQ to allow OpenRPG import/export (they use XML), which
        would essentially allow people to share character files. I don't think
        its a high priority, but I am still hoping it will be implemented.

        As for your own custom XML format, from what I understand, I would
        suggest you use a "well known" format so that you can reuse it with
        other tools. Perhaps taking a look at the formats for OpenRPG,
        DMGenie, and other tools would help.

        As for Spanish support, I'm not sure, but I think PCGen supports it...
        Are you looking for Spanish output sheets? Or perhaps you were talking
        about an XML output sheet in Spanish? That is already supported.

        I hope I understood correctly... :)

        Regards,

        Andargor
      • Ysgarran
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29 9:34 AM
          >I've been thinking about some sort of conversion program to/from
          >XML/PCGen data set for a long time. However I don't have the time for
          >it, and it would be moderately difficult because of the PCGen internal
          >handling of feats and class features.

          Back a ways when one of the programmers went into PCGen and put in a
          persistence layer I wrote some code that converted the LST files into
          XML files. I believe that particular set of code is long gone but I
          will probalby take a look for it anyways when I get home tonight.

          I did not read the LST files myself, what I did is put hooks into the
          persistence layer. That code would take the PCGen internal
          representation and write it back out into an XML format. What do you
          think, would it be usefull to go back down that path or not?

          Ysgarran.

          p.s.
          Now that I think about it, that code is probably sitting on a hard drive
          that is not currently connected to any computers. I have my doubts
          about how usefull it is at this moment since I believe that PCGen code
          base has migrated quite a bit since that time.
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29 10:56 AM
            On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 12:34:29PM -0400, Ysgarran wrote:

            > >I've been thinking about some sort of conversion program to/from
            > >XML/PCGen data set for a long time. However I don't have the time for
            > >it, and it would be moderately difficult because of the PCGen internal
            > >handling of feats and class features.
            >
            > Back a ways when one of the programmers went into PCGen and put in a
            > persistence layer I wrote some code that converted the LST files into
            > XML files. I believe that particular set of code is long gone but I
            > will probalby take a look for it anyways when I get home tonight.
            >
            > I did not read the LST files myself, what I did is put hooks into the
            > persistence layer. That code would take the PCGen internal
            > representation and write it back out into an XML format. What do you
            > think, would it be usefull to go back down that path or not?

            Not terribly, I think. It was decided a long time (*long* time -- about
            three years ago) that simply changing the syntax from not-XML-LST to
            XML-LST just makes the data more verbose without adding much benefit,
            and that it would be better to actually model the data rather than the
            LST files.

            There would be some benefit from the XML perspective in modeling LST
            with XML -- makes it easier to work with other XML tools, at least --
            but PCGen wouldn't gain anything from this at this point. It would
            largely simplify the parsing code, I think, but that would be new code
            that would need to be tested, etc., and would invalidate the tools data
            monkeys currently use.

            That said, it looks like the changes being made now are bringing the
            data model somewhat closer to what we were developing here a couple of
            years ago. Not entirely, but with the changes being made to the
            architecture it may be possible to bring a reasonable XML representation
            to the program.

            Just chatting with Devon. The code changes will make it easier, and he
            wants to use XML when CDOM gets brought in. At least for the character
            file format -- he still wants to use the LST files for other data, for
            now at least.

            *However*, what he's just asked me for is an interesting thing... and
            pretty simple, actually.

            Keith Davies "Always code as if the guy who ends up
            keith.davies@... maintaining your code is a psychopath
            keith.davies@... who knows where you live."
            http://www.kjdavies.org/ -- Damian Conway
          • Ysgarran
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29 11:54 AM
              Back a ways when one of the programmers went into PCGen and put in a
              I did not read the LST files myself, what I did is put hooks into the
              persistence layer.  That code would take the PCGen internal
              representation and write it back out into an XML format.  What do you
              think, would it be usefull to go back down that path or not?

              Not terribly, I think.  It was decided a long time (*long* time -- about
              three years ago) that simply changing the syntax from not-XML-LST to
              XML-LST just makes the data more verbose without adding much benefit,
              and that it would be better to actually model the data rather than the
              LST files.

              Just to be clear on a point.  The result was not just a translation from a LST to a XML file.   Since the XML
              I was emitting was based on the internal PCGen data model the resulting XML did not look like the
              corresponding LST file.  Now, whether that internal PCGen data model is a good direction to the XML
              is a different question.
              I was impressed with what Frugal did with the XML based character generator 0.1, even though I did not
              grok everything he was doing with it.  From a gut level, that seems to be the best direction for the PCGen XML.

              Ysgarran.