Re: SRD 3.5 XML and MySQL Database and HTML Offline Searchable SRD 3.5 v1.2

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
      --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, ysgarran@c... wrote:

      > Thoughts? Opinions about where I should put my time at first?
      >
      > later,
      > Brian F.

      Well, Frugal's got the "heart" pretty much done. I would guess that
      the GUI would be important. No offense to Frugal, but it's nice to
      have a focus on one aspect, and the demo was focused on the engine
      aspect.

      The idea would be to decouple the GUI from the engine internals. Just
      have calls to the the engine. Certainly not any GUI code in the
      enigne. This allows other plugins as well. I've only glanced at the
      source code, so I don't know if it's possible.

      On my side I'm still working on data. I don't know to what extent
      Frugal has used it, or what's needed. He's written some XSLT/Java to
      convert my data, but I guess my aim would be to streamline that
      process and perhaps break down the data to "program friendly" level.

      Andargor
    • ysgarran@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
        > The idea would be to decouple the GUI from the engine internals. Just
        > have calls to the the engine. Certainly not any GUI code in the
        > enigne. This allows other plugins as well. I've only glanced at the
        > source code, so I don't know if it's possible.

        Definately, keep the two clearly seperated. The worst case would be
        an extra layer to keep the two seperated...even then it would be worth
        while to keep the Model-View-Controller (or something else, as long as
        the view code is does not become intertwined with the model code).

        Brian F.
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
          andargor wrote:

          >Well, Frugal's got the "heart" pretty much done. I would guess that
          >the GUI would be important. No offense to Frugal, but it's nice to
          >have a focus on one aspect, and the demo was focused on the engine
          >aspect.
          >
          >The idea would be to decouple the GUI from the engine internals. Just
          >have calls to the the engine. Certainly not any GUI code in the
          >enigne. This allows other plugins as well. I've only glanced at the
          >source code, so I don't know if it's possible.

          Are you implying that the GUI I have thrown together is not the
          prettiest, most useful thing you have ever seen ;O)

          There are a couple of things I wanted to try to imlpement. I am very
          pleased with the skills tab, it is much more obvious what has been spent
          where. I also like the bonus tab, where you can see exactly what goes to
          make up any given bonus in the system.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
            --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Frugal <frugal@p...> wrote:
            > andargor wrote:
            > Are you implying that the GUI I have thrown together is not the
            > prettiest, most useful thing you have ever seen ;O)

            Yes. :P

            :)