Re: SRD 3.5 XML and MySQL Database and HTML Offline Searchable SRD 3.5 v1.2

  • ysgarran@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
      Two things I would like to work on are:

      1. The GUI front end. Part of the GUI work should be making it very
      easy for people to new classes, feats, etc. If we can make it easy to
      add that information the buy in for this program will be fairly quick...

      2. Switching out MySQL for Derby (What Cloudscape became when it was
      open sourced). I don't think that Derby is better the MySQL but it IS
      a java program. People wouldn't have to download and install MySQL to
      get things to work...just a Java VM would be enough.

      Thoughts? Opinions about where I should put my time at first?

      later,
      Brian F.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
        --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, ysgarran@c... wrote:

        > Thoughts? Opinions about where I should put my time at first?
        >
        > later,
        > Brian F.

        Well, Frugal's got the "heart" pretty much done. I would guess that
        the GUI would be important. No offense to Frugal, but it's nice to
        have a focus on one aspect, and the demo was focused on the engine
        aspect.

        The idea would be to decouple the GUI from the engine internals. Just
        have calls to the the engine. Certainly not any GUI code in the
        enigne. This allows other plugins as well. I've only glanced at the
        source code, so I don't know if it's possible.

        On my side I'm still working on data. I don't know to what extent
        Frugal has used it, or what's needed. He's written some XSLT/Java to
        convert my data, but I guess my aim would be to streamline that
        process and perhaps break down the data to "program friendly" level.

        Andargor
      • ysgarran@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
          > The idea would be to decouple the GUI from the engine internals. Just
          > have calls to the the engine. Certainly not any GUI code in the
          > enigne. This allows other plugins as well. I've only glanced at the
          > source code, so I don't know if it's possible.

          Definately, keep the two clearly seperated. The worst case would be
          an extra layer to keep the two seperated...even then it would be worth
          while to keep the Model-View-Controller (or something else, as long as
          the view code is does not become intertwined with the model code).

          Brian F.
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
            andargor wrote:

            >Well, Frugal's got the "heart" pretty much done. I would guess that
            >the GUI would be important. No offense to Frugal, but it's nice to
            >have a focus on one aspect, and the demo was focused on the engine
            >aspect.
            >
            >The idea would be to decouple the GUI from the engine internals. Just
            >have calls to the the engine. Certainly not any GUI code in the
            >enigne. This allows other plugins as well. I've only glanced at the
            >source code, so I don't know if it's possible.

            Are you implying that the GUI I have thrown together is not the
            prettiest, most useful thing you have ever seen ;O)

            There are a couple of things I wanted to try to imlpement. I am very
            pleased with the skills tab, it is much more obvious what has been spent
            where. I also like the bonus tab, where you can see exactly what goes to
            make up any given bonus in the system.

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
              --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Frugal <frugal@p...> wrote:
              > andargor wrote:
              > Are you implying that the GUI I have thrown together is not the
              > prettiest, most useful thing you have ever seen ;O)

              Yes. :P

              :)