SRD 3.5 XML and MySQL Database and HTML Offline Searchable SRD 3.5 v1.2

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004
      http://www.andargor.com/

      SRD 3.5 XML and MySQL Database v1.2 Released
      MySQL and XML data from the D&D 3.5 SRD, with full text. Includes Epic
      and Psionic data with the XPH errata.

      This was extracted directly from the RSRD, and is what I used to do my
      stuff.

      Currently included:

      * Classes
      * Feats
      * Monsters
      * Powers
      * Skills
      * Spells

      Changes:

      * Classes in spell levels converted to long names
      * Added spell_stat and spell_type fields to classes
      * Removed stray anchor tag in full texts
      * Fixed monster stat blocks
      * Miscellaneous data fixes

      There is no pretense at a "good" XML format, it is mainly a flat
      format suitable for databases. But it makes parsing easier. Some
      fields actually have HTML in them, but it's well-formed XML as well.

      HTML Offline Searchable SRD 3.5 v1.2 released
      Pure XML version is also available.

      Changes in 1.2

      * Dragons fully statted.
      * XPH errata included.
      * Skills were combined into a single document, including Epic use
      of skills.
      * Many data errors fixed.
      * Added indices: spells by level, powers by level, monsters by CR,
      monsters by LA.

      Changes in 1.1

      * The search function has been revamped. It should be a lot more
      accurate now.
      * Bookmark functionality has been added. However, this is HIGHLY
      experimental. The vagrancies of browsers, cookie quirks and javascript
      security setting makes saving bookmark data very difficult. The script
      may ask you to allow to save to file, if cookies are not available. If
      so, your bookmarks will be saved under the menu directory, in
      bookmarks.txt. In any case, use at your own risk. I'll try to
      stabilize the feature in the next releases
      Bookmarks support drag and drop. Just drag a bookmark image
      under another, and it'll be moved.
      * Some UI changes, as you may have noticed. You can hide the stuff
      you don't use, but those settings are not saved
      * Miscellaneous content fixes were performed
      * Keyword hyperlinking is (hopefully) more accurate. Instead of
      75% accuracy, it's now around 90%.

      Enjoy!

      Andargor
    • ysgarran@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
        Two things I would like to work on are:

        1. The GUI front end. Part of the GUI work should be making it very
        easy for people to new classes, feats, etc. If we can make it easy to
        add that information the buy in for this program will be fairly quick...

        2. Switching out MySQL for Derby (What Cloudscape became when it was
        open sourced). I don't think that Derby is better the MySQL but it IS
        a java program. People wouldn't have to download and install MySQL to
        get things to work...just a Java VM would be enough.

        Thoughts? Opinions about where I should put my time at first?

        later,
        Brian F.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
          --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, ysgarran@c... wrote:

          > Thoughts? Opinions about where I should put my time at first?
          >
          > later,
          > Brian F.

          Well, Frugal's got the "heart" pretty much done. I would guess that
          the GUI would be important. No offense to Frugal, but it's nice to
          have a focus on one aspect, and the demo was focused on the engine
          aspect.

          The idea would be to decouple the GUI from the engine internals. Just
          have calls to the the engine. Certainly not any GUI code in the
          enigne. This allows other plugins as well. I've only glanced at the
          source code, so I don't know if it's possible.

          On my side I'm still working on data. I don't know to what extent
          Frugal has used it, or what's needed. He's written some XSLT/Java to
          convert my data, but I guess my aim would be to streamline that
          process and perhaps break down the data to "program friendly" level.

          Andargor
        • ysgarran@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
            > The idea would be to decouple the GUI from the engine internals. Just
            > have calls to the the engine. Certainly not any GUI code in the
            > enigne. This allows other plugins as well. I've only glanced at the
            > source code, so I don't know if it's possible.

            Definately, keep the two clearly seperated. The worst case would be
            an extra layer to keep the two seperated...even then it would be worth
            while to keep the Model-View-Controller (or something else, as long as
            the view code is does not become intertwined with the model code).

            Brian F.
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
              andargor wrote:

              >Well, Frugal's got the "heart" pretty much done. I would guess that
              >the GUI would be important. No offense to Frugal, but it's nice to
              >have a focus on one aspect, and the demo was focused on the engine
              >aspect.
              >
              >The idea would be to decouple the GUI from the engine internals. Just
              >have calls to the the engine. Certainly not any GUI code in the
              >enigne. This allows other plugins as well. I've only glanced at the
              >source code, so I don't know if it's possible.

              Are you implying that the GUI I have thrown together is not the
              prettiest, most useful thing you have ever seen ;O)

              There are a couple of things I wanted to try to imlpement. I am very
              pleased with the skills tab, it is much more obvious what has been spent
              where. I also like the bonus tab, where you can see exactly what goes to
              make up any given bonus in the system.

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
                --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Frugal <frugal@p...> wrote:
                > andargor wrote:
                > Are you implying that the GUI I have thrown together is not the
                > prettiest, most useful thing you have ever seen ;O)

                Yes. :P

                :)