Re: Java5 Character Generator uploaded

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004
      --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Forester" <ysgarran@c...> wrote:

      > Frugal:
      >
      > I have not posted in a long time...but I'm definitely interested in the
      > work that you have been doing. I've been doing a lot of Swing work
      > lately and so might be able to help out in that area. I've been
      > thinking about new interface that would make very user friendly...
      >
      > More later,
      > Brian F.

      Hmmm, I see an embryo... Frugal code... Me data... You GUI...

      ;)

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 2004
        On Fri, November 12, 2004 4:40 am, andargor said:
        > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Forester" <ysgarran@c...> wrote:
        >> I have not posted in a long time...but I'm definitely interested in the
        >> work that you have been doing. I've been doing a lot of Swing work
        >> lately and so might be able to help out in that area. I've been
        >> thinking about new interface that would make very user friendly...
        >
        > Hmmm, I see an embryo... Frugal code... Me data... You GUI...

        Fortunately the core code is fairly stable at the moment ;O)

        I have been playing with swing a lot to build the GUI. I wanted to do this
        partly because I wanted to get as much done as possible to show a decent
        demo and partly because I wanted to learn swing.

        I do need to work on the internals some more: copying objects, modding
        objects, loading, saving and exporting characters.

        I also need to write a design document and a whole load of unit tests.

      • Brian Forester
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 14, 2004
          I don't like the basic java swing code very much. It gives too much
          encouragement to the mixing the model code to the view code. Sun has
          something called JDNC which seems to be a better solution to writing GUI
          code than the current Sing java code. I need to explore it a bit more
          though...

          More later,
          Brian F.

          p.s.
          Read 'Test Driven Development" by Kent Beck.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 21, 2004
            > end of a cable modem so do not expect blistering speed).
            > <https://www.purplewombat.co.uk:444/repos/charactergen> and a viewcvs
            > view of the code at: <http://www.purplewombat.co.uk/viewcvs>

            Hi Frugal,

            It looks like you are using eclipse for the development here. Are you
            using any particular eclipse plug-in for subversion? Do you have a
            cvs tool I can grab the code to play with?

            thanks,
            Brian F.