RE: [pcgen-xml] Java5 Character Generator uploaded

  • Brian Forester
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004
      Frugal:

      I have not posted in a long time...but I'm definitely interested in the
      work that you have been doing. I've been doing a lot of Swing work
      lately and so might be able to help out in that area. I've been
      thinking about new interface that would make very user friendly...

      More later,
      Brian F.

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004
        --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Forester" <ysgarran@c...> wrote:

        > Frugal:
        >
        > I have not posted in a long time...but I'm definitely interested in the
        > work that you have been doing. I've been doing a lot of Swing work
        > lately and so might be able to help out in that area. I've been
        > thinking about new interface that would make very user friendly...
        >
        > More later,
        > Brian F.

        Hmmm, I see an embryo... Frugal code... Me data... You GUI...

        ;)

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2004
          On Fri, November 12, 2004 4:40 am, andargor said:
          > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Forester" <ysgarran@c...> wrote:
          >> I have not posted in a long time...but I'm definitely interested in the
          >> work that you have been doing. I've been doing a lot of Swing work
          >> lately and so might be able to help out in that area. I've been
          >> thinking about new interface that would make very user friendly...
          >
          > Hmmm, I see an embryo... Frugal code... Me data... You GUI...

          Fortunately the core code is fairly stable at the moment ;O)

          I have been playing with swing a lot to build the GUI. I wanted to do this
          partly because I wanted to get as much done as possible to show a decent
          demo and partly because I wanted to learn swing.

          I do need to work on the internals some more: copying objects, modding
          objects, loading, saving and exporting characters.

          I also need to write a design document and a whole load of unit tests.

        • Brian Forester
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 14, 2004
            I don't like the basic java swing code very much. It gives too much
            encouragement to the mixing the model code to the view code. Sun has
            something called JDNC which seems to be a better solution to writing GUI
            code than the current Sing java code. I need to explore it a bit more
            though...

            More later,
            Brian F.

            p.s.
            Read 'Test Driven Development" by Kent Beck.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 21, 2004
              > end of a cable modem so do not expect blistering speed).
              > <https://www.purplewombat.co.uk:444/repos/charactergen> and a viewcvs
              > view of the code at: <http://www.purplewombat.co.uk/viewcvs>

              Hi Frugal,

              It looks like you are using eclipse for the development here. Are you
              using any particular eclipse plug-in for subversion? Do you have a
              cvs tool I can grab the code to play with?

              thanks,
              Brian F.