Re: [pcgen-xml] Java5 Character Generator uploaded

  • Steve Kleine
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11 7:51 AM
      Frugal

      PS. Is anyone actually interested in this or should I stop bothering
      the list with this stuff.

      -----

      As a lurker who is working on a perl version of PCGen's engines, I
      definitely am interested!

      --
      midnightcomp(at)comcast(dot)net
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11 8:22 AM
        --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "frugal10191" <frugal@p...> wrote:

        > PS. Is anyone actually interested in this or should I stop bothering
        > the list with this stuff.

        Hell yeah, anything that will help get away from LST and have a
        stable base of data.

        Maybe even material for a fork (heresy!). Call it PCGenX :)

        Heck, I'm even considering rolling up my sleeves and putting my
        religious beliefs to the side (C++ vs Java) and help you out with
        that, since my own "ucg" has been gathering dust.

        Maybe even develop a C++ engine for the same data, hmmm, that might
        be fun too. :)

        > PPS. I have set up a subversion respository on my home server (at
        the
        > end of a cable modem so do not expect blistering speed).
        > <https://www.purplewombat.co.uk:444/repos/charactergen> and a
        viewcvs
        > view of the code at: <http://www.purplewombat.co.uk/viewcvs>

        Linko not worko.

        Andargor
      • Brian Forester
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11 7:16 PM
          Frugal:

          I have not posted in a long time...but I'm definitely interested in the
          work that you have been doing. I've been doing a lot of Swing work
          lately and so might be able to help out in that area. I've been
          thinking about new interface that would make very user friendly...

          More later,
          Brian F.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11 8:40 PM
            --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Forester" <ysgarran@c...> wrote:

            > Frugal:
            >
            > I have not posted in a long time...but I'm definitely interested in the
            > work that you have been doing. I've been doing a lot of Swing work
            > lately and so might be able to help out in that area. I've been
            > thinking about new interface that would make very user friendly...
            >
            > More later,
            > Brian F.

            Hmmm, I see an embryo... Frugal code... Me data... You GUI...

            ;)

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 12 1:58 AM
              On Fri, November 12, 2004 4:40 am, andargor said:
              > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Forester" <ysgarran@c...> wrote:
              >> I have not posted in a long time...but I'm definitely interested in the
              >> work that you have been doing. I've been doing a lot of Swing work
              >> lately and so might be able to help out in that area. I've been
              >> thinking about new interface that would make very user friendly...
              >
              > Hmmm, I see an embryo... Frugal code... Me data... You GUI...

              Fortunately the core code is fairly stable at the moment ;O)

              I have been playing with swing a lot to build the GUI. I wanted to do this
              partly because I wanted to get as much done as possible to show a decent
              demo and partly because I wanted to learn swing.

              I do need to work on the internals some more: copying objects, modding
              objects, loading, saving and exporting characters.

              I also need to write a design document and a whole load of unit tests.

            • Brian Forester
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 14 12:52 PM
                I don't like the basic java swing code very much. It gives too much
                encouragement to the mixing the model code to the view code. Sun has
                something called JDNC which seems to be a better solution to writing GUI
                code than the current Sing java code. I need to explore it a bit more
                though...

                More later,
                Brian F.

                p.s.
                Read 'Test Driven Development" by Kent Beck.

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 21, 2004
                  > end of a cable modem so do not expect blistering speed).
                  > <https://www.purplewombat.co.uk:444/repos/charactergen> and a viewcvs
                  > view of the code at: <http://www.purplewombat.co.uk/viewcvs>

                  Hi Frugal,

                  It looks like you are using eclipse for the development here. Are you
                  using any particular eclipse plug-in for subversion? Do you have a
                  cvs tool I can grab the code to play with?

                  thanks,
                  Brian F.