Java5 Character Generator uploaded

  • frugal10191
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004
      I have uploaded a new version of the character generator. This
      generator is based on the XML schema proposed a while a go by Keith
      and tinkered with by various people including myself.

      It is based on 5 base types: Entity, Progression and Rank, Variable,
      VariableBonus.

      It is getting to the stage now where I am having to give some serious
      though to loading, saving and expotring characters as pretty much
      everything else is working. I need to get equipment working and expand
      the use of prerequisites, but the core of the program has remain
      pretty much unchanged since the last version.

      It required Java5 as it makes heavy use of the new typesafe
      collections and loop constructs. In theory it should be possible to
      back port it to Java2 by removing <.*> everywhere you find it and
      unrolling all of the loops. But as PCGen works fine with Java5 I now
      use it for everything.

      Changes since the last release:

      - Removed the Property type, Entities can now have dynamically
      generated titles (which was all Propery did anyway).

      - Got a several fold increase in speed by not reacting to every
      variable change, just the ones we aer directly interested in.

      - I have temporally removed the multilingual support simply to make it
      easier to deal with, when I write the parser properly rather than use
      Castor it will be easy to put it back in.

      - Rewrote the interface.

      - Summary Tab: Base values for stats, saves, attack bonuses etc. Add
      and remove levels of the 5 classes implemented (Fighter, ranger, monk,
      wizard, sorcerer).

      - Tree Tab: A view of the internal tree for this character. This
      actually uses the internal data to reflect the current state of the tree.

      - Classes Tab: A table of the class taken at each level, the number
      of skill points and hit points for that level.

      - Feats Tab: The list of feats the character has along with a html
      view of the feats.

      - Skills Tab: A table of all of the known skills and a matrix or skill
      points assigned to each skill per level. Each skill is marked with a
      colour at each level to indicate whether this is a class-skill,
      cross-class skill or that the skill is not available.

      - SAs tab: Details of all of the Special abilities for this character
      along with a details view of the SA

      - Bonuses Tab: A table of every variable currently assigned to the
      character, along with a details view that shows for any given variable
      all of the bonuses that go to make it up. (Give a character a few
      levels of Monk and have a look at 'movement.walk' and see which
      bonuses make it up, and then which bonuses make those bonuses up).

      - Python Tab: A python interpreter and an output display window so
      that you can execute arbitrary Python scripts (useful for developing
      the python scriptlets in the XML without needing to resatrt the app
      constantly).

      - Spells Tab: Details of all of the spells for each character class.
      Select whcih class you are interested in from the combo box at the
      top. The known spells and castable spells per day table will reflect
      the current numbers for that class. Spells can be added from the table
      on the left to the tree on the right. Details of each spell can be
      seen on the details view below the available tables list. the
      available spells list is actually a Glazed list that I set up filters
      on, so that it only shows the correct spells for the current class evn
      though it always contains every spell in the system.

      - The interface is told which cahracter to use, and from then on all
      changes in the character are automatically picked up by the interface.

      - Add 5 levels of Monk. You will be unable to add a 6th level because
      the first 9 levels of monk have a prerequisite on them of
      WIS>=(monklevel+9), as the character starts with a wis of 14 it can
      gain the first 5 levels, but not the 6th. (I know that monks do not
      work like this but it is an interesting exercise to show that each
      rank of a progression can have it's own prerequisites).

      PS. Is anyone actually interested in this or should I stop bothering
      the list with this stuff.

      PPS. I have set up a subversion respository on my home server (at the
      end of a cable modem so do not expect blistering speed).
      <https://www.purplewombat.co.uk:444/repos/charactergen> and a viewcvs
      view of the code at: <http://www.purplewombat.co.uk/viewcvs>
    • Steve Kleine
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004

        PS. Is anyone actually interested in this or should I stop bothering
        the list with this stuff.

        -----

        As a lurker who is working on a perl version of PCGen's engines, I
        definitely am interested!

        --
        midnightcomp(at)comcast(dot)net
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004
          --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "frugal10191" <frugal@p...> wrote:

          > PS. Is anyone actually interested in this or should I stop bothering
          > the list with this stuff.

          Hell yeah, anything that will help get away from LST and have a
          stable base of data.

          Maybe even material for a fork (heresy!). Call it PCGenX :)

          Heck, I'm even considering rolling up my sleeves and putting my
          religious beliefs to the side (C++ vs Java) and help you out with
          that, since my own "ucg" has been gathering dust.

          Maybe even develop a C++ engine for the same data, hmmm, that might
          be fun too. :)

          > PPS. I have set up a subversion respository on my home server (at
          the
          > end of a cable modem so do not expect blistering speed).
          > <https://www.purplewombat.co.uk:444/repos/charactergen> and a
          viewcvs
          > view of the code at: <http://www.purplewombat.co.uk/viewcvs>

          Linko not worko.

          Andargor
        • Brian Forester
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004
            Frugal:

            I have not posted in a long time...but I'm definitely interested in the
            work that you have been doing. I've been doing a lot of Swing work
            lately and so might be able to help out in that area. I've been
            thinking about new interface that would make very user friendly...

            More later,
            Brian F.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004
              --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Forester" <ysgarran@c...> wrote:

              > Frugal:
              >
              > I have not posted in a long time...but I'm definitely interested in the
              > work that you have been doing. I've been doing a lot of Swing work
              > lately and so might be able to help out in that area. I've been
              > thinking about new interface that would make very user friendly...
              >
              > More later,
              > Brian F.

              Hmmm, I see an embryo... Frugal code... Me data... You GUI...

              ;)

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 12, 2004
                On Fri, November 12, 2004 4:40 am, andargor said:
                > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Forester" <ysgarran@c...> wrote:
                >> I have not posted in a long time...but I'm definitely interested in the
                >> work that you have been doing. I've been doing a lot of Swing work
                >> lately and so might be able to help out in that area. I've been
                >> thinking about new interface that would make very user friendly...
                >
                > Hmmm, I see an embryo... Frugal code... Me data... You GUI...

                Fortunately the core code is fairly stable at the moment ;O)

                I have been playing with swing a lot to build the GUI. I wanted to do this
                partly because I wanted to get as much done as possible to show a decent
                demo and partly because I wanted to learn swing.

                I do need to work on the internals some more: copying objects, modding
                objects, loading, saving and exporting characters.

                I also need to write a design document and a whole load of unit tests.

              • Brian Forester
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 14, 2004
                  I don't like the basic java swing code very much. It gives too much
                  encouragement to the mixing the model code to the view code. Sun has
                  something called JDNC which seems to be a better solution to writing GUI
                  code than the current Sing java code. I need to explore it a bit more
                  though...

                  More later,
                  Brian F.

                  p.s.
                  Read 'Test Driven Development" by Kent Beck.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 21, 2004
                    > end of a cable modem so do not expect blistering speed).
                    > <https://www.purplewombat.co.uk:444/repos/charactergen> and a viewcvs
                    > view of the code at: <http://www.purplewombat.co.uk/viewcvs>

                    Hi Frugal,

                    It looks like you are using eclipse for the development here. Are you
                    using any particular eclipse plug-in for subversion? Do you have a
                    cvs tool I can grab the code to play with?

                    thanks,
                    Brian F.