Re: [pcgen-xml] Re: [OT] Searchable RSRDs

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
      On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 07:03:06PM +0000, andargor wrote:
      > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Frugal <frugal@p...> wrote:
      > > Ah! Because I broke the topics down completely (1 class per page, 1
      > feat per
      > > page etc) I could give each node it's own name and then search
      > through all of
      > > the pages for that node name
      >
      > If you want to take a look at what the XML looks like, once it's
      > been "scrubbed" clean:
      >
      > http://www.andargor.com/files/srd35-xml.tar.gz
      >
      > That's my base for generating the keyword links and then XSLT it into
      > HTML.

      Wow. Is it entirely presentational?

      I've been working with text files derived directly from the RTF. Tables
      get entirely munged and they were *quite* as consistent as I'd like with
      formatting and layout. It would make it a lot easier to hack with Perl
      if they had been.

      I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
      presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I don't
      have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
      classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem with
      almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table

      Level BAB Fort Ref Will
      1 +1 +2 +0 +0
      2 +2 +3 +0 +0
      3 +3 +3 +1 +1

      Thus:

      Level
      BAB
      Fort
      Ref
      Will
      1
      +1
      +2
      +0
      +0
      2
      +2
      +3
      +0
      +0
      3
      +3
      +3
      +1
      +1

      This makes it a little challenging sometimes :/

      If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be more than welcome.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
        --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...>
        wrote:

        > Wow. Is it entirely presentational?

        (snip...)

        Mostly presentational. The topics are in right now to help automatic
        hyperlinking (which is hard as hell). This needs some context-
        awareness.

        > I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
        > presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I
        don't
        > have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
        > classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem
        with
        > almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table

        Here's the XSLT I use to convert those XML files to HTML:

        http://www.andargor.com/files/rtfx2html.gz

        I use xsltproc (from libxml2), but other processors should work.
        Tables get formatted correctly about 98% of the time (there are
        exceptions).

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
          On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 03:51:54PM +0000, andargor wrote:
          > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Wow. Is it entirely presentational?
          > >
          > (snip...)
          >
          > Mostly presentational. The topics are in right now to help automatic
          > hyperlinking (which is hard as hell). This needs some context-
          > awareness.
          >

          > > I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
          > > presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I
          > don't
          > > have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
          > > classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem
          > with
          > > almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table
          > >

          > Here's the XSLT I use to convert those XML files to HTML:
          >
          > http://www.andargor.com/files/rtfx2html.gz
          >
          > I use xsltproc (from libxml2), but other processors should work.
          > Tables get formatted correctly about 98% of the time (there are
          > exceptions).

          If nothing else that could save me a boatload of time. It wouldn't be
          so difficult to write an XSLT that'll dump the tables in files named
          something like item-$num.xml.

          You can see some of my results at http://www.kjdavies.org/rpg/reference

          It's far from complete, of course, but I think that you XML will help.

          The feats and whatnot making their way toward a functional XML. The
          prereqs, for instance, are <prereq>s, not text. The ones that could be
          easily translated, at least.