Re: [OT] Searchable RSRDs

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 11, 2004
      --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Frugal <frugal@p...> wrote:
      > Ah! Because I broke the topics down completely (1 class per page, 1
      feat per
      > page etc) I could give each node it's own name and then search
      through all of
      > the pages for that node name

      If you want to take a look at what the XML looks like, once it's
      been "scrubbed" clean:

      http://www.andargor.com/files/srd35-xml.tar.gz

      That's my base for generating the keyword links and then XSLT it into
      HTML.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
        On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 07:03:06PM +0000, andargor wrote:
        > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Frugal <frugal@p...> wrote:
        > > Ah! Because I broke the topics down completely (1 class per page, 1
        > feat per
        > > page etc) I could give each node it's own name and then search
        > through all of
        > > the pages for that node name
        >
        > If you want to take a look at what the XML looks like, once it's
        > been "scrubbed" clean:
        >
        > http://www.andargor.com/files/srd35-xml.tar.gz
        >
        > That's my base for generating the keyword links and then XSLT it into
        > HTML.

        Wow. Is it entirely presentational?

        I've been working with text files derived directly from the RTF. Tables
        get entirely munged and they were *quite* as consistent as I'd like with
        formatting and layout. It would make it a lot easier to hack with Perl
        if they had been.

        I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
        presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I don't
        have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
        classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem with
        almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table

        Level BAB Fort Ref Will
        1 +1 +2 +0 +0
        2 +2 +3 +0 +0
        3 +3 +3 +1 +1

        Thus:

        Level
        BAB
        Fort
        Ref
        Will
        1
        +1
        +2
        +0
        +0
        2
        +2
        +3
        +0
        +0
        3
        +3
        +3
        +1
        +1

        This makes it a little challenging sometimes :/

        If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be more than welcome.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
          --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...>
          wrote:

          > Wow. Is it entirely presentational?

          (snip...)

          Mostly presentational. The topics are in right now to help automatic
          hyperlinking (which is hard as hell). This needs some context-
          awareness.

          > I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
          > presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I
          don't
          > have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
          > classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem
          with
          > almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table

          Here's the XSLT I use to convert those XML files to HTML:

          http://www.andargor.com/files/rtfx2html.gz

          I use xsltproc (from libxml2), but other processors should work.
          Tables get formatted correctly about 98% of the time (there are
          exceptions).

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
            On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 03:51:54PM +0000, andargor wrote:
            > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Wow. Is it entirely presentational?
            > >
            > (snip...)
            >
            > Mostly presentational. The topics are in right now to help automatic
            > hyperlinking (which is hard as hell). This needs some context-
            > awareness.
            >

            > > I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
            > > presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I
            > don't
            > > have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
            > > classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem
            > with
            > > almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table
            > >

            > Here's the XSLT I use to convert those XML files to HTML:
            >
            > http://www.andargor.com/files/rtfx2html.gz
            >
            > I use xsltproc (from libxml2), but other processors should work.
            > Tables get formatted correctly about 98% of the time (there are
            > exceptions).

            If nothing else that could save me a boatload of time. It wouldn't be
            so difficult to write an XSLT that'll dump the tables in files named
            something like item-$num.xml.

            You can see some of my results at http://www.kjdavies.org/rpg/reference

            It's far from complete, of course, but I think that you XML will help.

            The feats and whatnot making their way toward a functional XML. The
            prereqs, for instance, are <prereq>s, not text. The ones that could be
            easily translated, at least.