Re: [pcgen-xml] [OT] Searchable RSRDs

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 11, 2004
      On Wednesday 11 August 2004 16:47, andargor wrote:
      > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:
      > > Are you going to make the tools you used to do this available ? I
      >
      > would be
      >
      > > interested in seeing how you performed the hyperlinking.
      >
      > That's what I'm working on now. The version on my site has about the
      > same technique you used. A lot of regexp's. Not very bright.
      >
      > The text is broken down into topics, which may be embedded. I had to
      > use minimal manual stuff here: a "boundary" file so that I can cut
      > the RTF into pieces, and establish a hierarchy. Again, lots of
      > regexp's...

      Ah! Because I broke the topics down completely (1 class per page, 1 feat per
      page etc) I could give each node it's own name and then search through all of
      the pages for that node name

      I think I have something like 4000 nodes and 27000 links ;O) I am currently
      scanning in all of the other books that I own so that I can add them in as
      well. I intend to have all of the magazines, books, articles PDFs etc all in
      one place.

      > > http://www.purplewombat.co.uk/~frugal/srd_treepad.zip

      > Forbidden :) Nothing a little chmod a+r might not fix...

      Doh! Fixed.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 11, 2004
        --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Frugal <frugal@p...> wrote:
        > Ah! Because I broke the topics down completely (1 class per page, 1
        feat per
        > page etc) I could give each node it's own name and then search
        through all of
        > the pages for that node name

        If you want to take a look at what the XML looks like, once it's
        been "scrubbed" clean:

        http://www.andargor.com/files/srd35-xml.tar.gz

        That's my base for generating the keyword links and then XSLT it into
        HTML.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
          On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 07:03:06PM +0000, andargor wrote:
          > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Frugal <frugal@p...> wrote:
          > > Ah! Because I broke the topics down completely (1 class per page, 1
          > feat per
          > > page etc) I could give each node it's own name and then search
          > through all of
          > > the pages for that node name
          >
          > If you want to take a look at what the XML looks like, once it's
          > been "scrubbed" clean:
          >
          > http://www.andargor.com/files/srd35-xml.tar.gz
          >
          > That's my base for generating the keyword links and then XSLT it into
          > HTML.

          Wow. Is it entirely presentational?

          I've been working with text files derived directly from the RTF. Tables
          get entirely munged and they were *quite* as consistent as I'd like with
          formatting and layout. It would make it a lot easier to hack with Perl
          if they had been.

          I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
          presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I don't
          have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
          classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem with
          almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table

          Level BAB Fort Ref Will
          1 +1 +2 +0 +0
          2 +2 +3 +0 +0
          3 +3 +3 +1 +1

          Thus:

          Level
          BAB
          Fort
          Ref
          Will
          1
          +1
          +2
          +0
          +0
          2
          +2
          +3
          +0
          +0
          3
          +3
          +3
          +1
          +1

          This makes it a little challenging sometimes :/

          If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be more than welcome.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
            --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...>
            wrote:

            > Wow. Is it entirely presentational?

            (snip...)

            Mostly presentational. The topics are in right now to help automatic
            hyperlinking (which is hard as hell). This needs some context-
            awareness.

            > I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
            > presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I
            don't
            > have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
            > classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem
            with
            > almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table

            Here's the XSLT I use to convert those XML files to HTML:

            http://www.andargor.com/files/rtfx2html.gz

            I use xsltproc (from libxml2), but other processors should work.
            Tables get formatted correctly about 98% of the time (there are
            exceptions).

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
              On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 03:51:54PM +0000, andargor wrote:
              > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Wow. Is it entirely presentational?
              > >
              > (snip...)
              >
              > Mostly presentational. The topics are in right now to help automatic
              > hyperlinking (which is hard as hell). This needs some context-
              > awareness.
              >

              > > I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
              > > presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I
              > don't
              > > have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
              > > classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem
              > with
              > > almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table
              > >

              > Here's the XSLT I use to convert those XML files to HTML:
              >
              > http://www.andargor.com/files/rtfx2html.gz
              >
              > I use xsltproc (from libxml2), but other processors should work.
              > Tables get formatted correctly about 98% of the time (there are
              > exceptions).

              If nothing else that could save me a boatload of time. It wouldn't be
              so difficult to write an XSLT that'll dump the tables in files named
              something like item-$num.xml.

              You can see some of my results at http://www.kjdavies.org/rpg/reference

              It's far from complete, of course, but I think that you XML will help.

              The feats and whatnot making their way toward a functional XML. The
              prereqs, for instance, are <prereq>s, not text. The ones that could be
              easily translated, at least.