Re: Progress report...

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 11, 2004
      --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:
      > I know the feeling. How are you going about this offline searchable
      > version of the RSRD? I have got one in TreePad format that is fully
      > hyperlined and searchable.
      >
      > - --
      > regards,
      > Frugal
      > - -OS Chimp

      Ah, I forgot to post here. I posted on EN World...

      It's on my site: http://www.andargor.com/

      Basically the need was for the DM not to have to lug his books around
      to work, home and where we play. ALso, the other players want to have
      access to all the "official" content from the campaign from the books
      we purchased.

      It's straight HTML with a custom javascript search engine. There's a
      Windows Help File version. I'm working on hyperlinking with context.
      It's got some "dumb" hyperlinking right now, but it's far from
      perfect (e.g. the difference between the Air subtype and the Air
      domain, the word Air is linked where?)

      I am a very lazy person, hence I hate to do manual editing of
      documents. So, I have a bunch of tools to convert the RSRD from RTF-
      >XML->HTML. If wizards correct it or issue other files, I push it
      through the grinder and out pops the HTML version.

      Also, I had seen the other HTML versions on
      systemreferencedocuments.org, but I couldn't see a way of adding
      content. That's also what I'm aiming for: adding the content from the
      books that our group has. I have a pretty extensive spell and feat
      database, for example, that I would like to incorporate and index for
      searching into one offline document.

      As usual, projects are a learning opportunity, so I learned a heck of
      a lot about search engines, and linguistics (for the context-based
      hyperlinking)

      I'd like to see your version, if it's available anywhere? Might give
      me ideas.

        <quote who="andargor">
        > It's straight HTML with a custom javascript search engine. There's a
        > Windows Help File version. I'm working on hyperlinking with context.
        > It's got some "dumb" hyperlinking right now, but it's far from
        > perfect (e.g. the difference between the Air subtype and the Air
        > domain, the word Air is linked where?)

        I ended up writing a java app to read in the content and using the names
        of all of the nodes as the items to link to. I did not do any linguistic
        calculations so I have phrases like "First aid" where the 'aid' is a link
        to teh 'Aid' spell ;O)

        > I am a very lazy person, hence I hate to do manual editing of
        > documents. So, I have a bunch of tools to convert the RSRD from RTF-
        >>XML->HTML. If wizards correct it or issue other files, I push it
        > through the grinder and out pops the HTML version.

        Those I would like to see. I thought about doing something similar, but
        the inconsistancy in the RTF made it too problematic.

        > As usual, projects are a learning opportunity, so I learned a heck of
        > a lot about search engines, and linguistics (for the context-based
        > hyperlinking)

        Are you going to make the tools you used to do this available ? I would be
        interested in seeing how you performed the hyperlinking.

        > I'd like to see your version, if it's available anywhere? Might give
        > me ideas.

        http://www.purplewombat.co.uk/~frugal/srd_treepad.zip

        You will need the treepad viewer as well:

        http://www.nlsoftware.com/download/a/?fl=tpviewer.zip

        I ended doing a lot of it by hand as the RSRD is very badly laid out. They
        have just dumped the 6 books to RTF so the same information is in several
        places. i.e. the details of the concentration skill are in the Skill, Epic
        Skills, Divine Skills and Psionic Skills sections. So I combined all of
        that together to make one cohesive document. If you want to know about the
        concentration skill you only need to look in one place...

        - --
        - -OS Chimp

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 11, 2004
          --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:
          > Are you going to make the tools you used to do this available ? I
          would be
          > interested in seeing how you performed the hyperlinking.

          That's what I'm working on now. The version on my site has about the
          same technique you used. A lot of regexp's. Not very bright.

          The text is broken down into topics, which may be embedded. I had to
          use minimal manual stuff here: a "boundary" file so that I can cut
          the RTF into pieces, and establish a hierarchy. Again, lots of
          regexp's...

          The rest of the tools are a mish mash of perl and C tools. I do
          intend to release them when I'm done (and when I've cleaned up the
          terrible hacks in there...)

          > > I'd like to see your version, if it's available anywhere? Might
          give
          > > me ideas.
          >
          > http://www.purplewombat.co.uk/~frugal/srd_treepad.zip
          >
          > You will need the treepad viewer as well:
          >
          > http://www.nlsoftware.com/download/a/?fl=tpviewer.zip

          Forbidden :) Nothing a little chmod a+r might not fix...

          > I ended doing a lot of it by hand as the RSRD is very badly laid
          out. They
          > have just dumped the 6 books to RTF so the same information is in
          several
          > places. i.e. the details of the concentration skill are in the
          Skill, Epic
          > Skills, Divine Skills and Psionic Skills sections. So I combined
          all of
          > that together to make one cohesive document. If you want to know
          about the
          > concentration skill you only need to look in one place...

          Argh, I intended to do that eventually, but I just realized my
          categorization woes might be less if I combined similar topics (e.g.
          Listen in Skills and in Epic Skills). So stupid, gotta do that
          _before_ I hyperlink.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 11, 2004
            On Wednesday 11 August 2004 16:47, andargor wrote:
            > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:
            > > Are you going to make the tools you used to do this available ? I
            >
            > would be
            >
            > > interested in seeing how you performed the hyperlinking.
            >
            > That's what I'm working on now. The version on my site has about the
            > same technique you used. A lot of regexp's. Not very bright.
            >
            > The text is broken down into topics, which may be embedded. I had to
            > use minimal manual stuff here: a "boundary" file so that I can cut
            > the RTF into pieces, and establish a hierarchy. Again, lots of
            > regexp's...

            Ah! Because I broke the topics down completely (1 class per page, 1 feat per
            page etc) I could give each node it's own name and then search through all of
            the pages for that node name

            I think I have something like 4000 nodes and 27000 links ;O) I am currently
            scanning in all of the other books that I own so that I can add them in as
            well. I intend to have all of the magazines, books, articles PDFs etc all in
            one place.

            > > http://www.purplewombat.co.uk/~frugal/srd_treepad.zip

            > Forbidden :) Nothing a little chmod a+r might not fix...

            Doh! Fixed.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 11, 2004
              --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Frugal <frugal@p...> wrote:
              > Ah! Because I broke the topics down completely (1 class per page, 1
              feat per
              > page etc) I could give each node it's own name and then search
              through all of
              > the pages for that node name

              If you want to take a look at what the XML looks like, once it's
              been "scrubbed" clean:

              http://www.andargor.com/files/srd35-xml.tar.gz

              That's my base for generating the keyword links and then XSLT it into
              HTML.

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
                On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 07:03:06PM +0000, andargor wrote:
                > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Frugal <frugal@p...> wrote:
                > > Ah! Because I broke the topics down completely (1 class per page, 1
                > feat per
                > > page etc) I could give each node it's own name and then search
                > through all of
                > > the pages for that node name
                >
                > If you want to take a look at what the XML looks like, once it's
                > been "scrubbed" clean:
                >
                > http://www.andargor.com/files/srd35-xml.tar.gz
                >
                > That's my base for generating the keyword links and then XSLT it into
                > HTML.

                Wow. Is it entirely presentational?

                I've been working with text files derived directly from the RTF. Tables
                get entirely munged and they were *quite* as consistent as I'd like with
                formatting and layout. It would make it a lot easier to hack with Perl
                if they had been.

                I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
                presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I don't
                have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
                classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem with
                almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table

                Level BAB Fort Ref Will
                1 +1 +2 +0 +0
                2 +2 +3 +0 +0
                3 +3 +3 +1 +1

                Thus:

                Level
                BAB
                Fort
                Ref
                Will
                1
                +1
                +2
                +0
                +0
                2
                +2
                +3
                +0
                +0
                3
                +3
                +3
                +1
                +1

                This makes it a little challenging sometimes :/

                If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be more than welcome.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
                  --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...>
                  wrote:

                  > Wow. Is it entirely presentational?

                  (snip...)

                  Mostly presentational. The topics are in right now to help automatic
                  hyperlinking (which is hard as hell). This needs some context-
                  awareness.

                  > I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
                  > presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I
                  don't
                  > have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
                  > classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem
                  with
                  > almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table

                  Here's the XSLT I use to convert those XML files to HTML:

                  http://www.andargor.com/files/rtfx2html.gz

                  I use xsltproc (from libxml2), but other processors should work.
                  Tables get formatted correctly about 98% of the time (there are
                  exceptions).

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 16, 2004
                    On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 03:51:54PM +0000, andargor wrote:
                    > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Wow. Is it entirely presentational?
                    > >
                    > (snip...)
                    >
                    > Mostly presentational. The topics are in right now to help automatic
                    > hyperlinking (which is hard as hell). This needs some context-
                    > awareness.
                    >

                    > > I'm trying to get it so it's actually context-aware rather than
                    > > presentational. I've done the feats and got a start on spells (I
                    > don't
                    > > have all the XML -> HTML stuff done). Haven't done anything with
                    > > classes yet. Skills I have a start, but -- and this is the problem
                    > with
                    > > almost everything -- I have to fix tables. Word exported a table
                    > >

                    > Here's the XSLT I use to convert those XML files to HTML:
                    >
                    > http://www.andargor.com/files/rtfx2html.gz
                    >
                    > I use xsltproc (from libxml2), but other processors should work.
                    > Tables get formatted correctly about 98% of the time (there are
                    > exceptions).

                    If nothing else that could save me a boatload of time. It wouldn't be
                    so difficult to write an XSLT that'll dump the tables in files named
                    something like item-$num.xml.

                    You can see some of my results at http://www.kjdavies.org/rpg/reference

                    It's far from complete, of course, but I think that you XML will help.

                    The feats and whatnot making their way toward a functional XML. The
                    prereqs, for instance, are <prereq>s, not text. The ones that could be
                    easily translated, at least.