[Frugal] Converting the PCGen Data Files (WAS Re: (unknown))

    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 29, 2004
      Just before I forget, I have been trying to craft an XSLT to convert
      your XML dump of the PCGen data files into a more "neutral" version,
      that doesn't have any engine-specific stuff.

      Would it be a lot of trouble for you to make an export that doesn't
      have the nitty-gritty logic stuff in it or specific naming
      conventions? Like, for example:

      <feat id="Alertness">
      <name>Alertness</name>
      <type>General</type>
      <fighter_bonus>No</fighter_bonus>
      <multiple>No</multiple>
      <stack>No</stack>
      <prerequisite/>
      <grant>
      <bonus>
      <skill>
      <name>Listen</name>
      <value>2</value>
      <type>Unnamed</type>
      </skill>
      </bonus>
      <bonus>
      <skill>
      <name>Spot</name>
      <value>2</value>
      <type>Unnamed</type>
      </skill>
      </bonus>
      </grant>
      </feat>

      The reason I am asking is I think it would be great for data monkeys
      to have an easy format for data entry without depending on the current
      version of the engine, or for any particular engine for that matter.

      For example, I could take this XML snippet and associate a piece of
      code with it (say, "Alertness.js") which does the logic stuff. I can
      modify the XML very easily with XSLT to fit my engine, and you could
      do the same for yours.

      This way, we have a stable neutral representation of the publisher data...

      I would really like to have raw data to input into my engine for some
      more tests. If it's not too much trouble for you, it would avoid me
      having to reinvent your wheel... :)

      Andargor
    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 30, 2004
        Just to throw a wrench in, because I think there will NEVER be an 'non-engine specific' format, truely....

        Your example IS engine specific....  <fighter_bonus>No</fighter_bonus> in and of itself is engine specific...  Types of feats that are choosable as class adjuncts are many, and not just "Fighter."

        There is no "neutral" version, just the perception of one.  As a data monkey, I've learned to challenge what my assumptions are, since publishers will always find new and interesting ways of looking at the game.  And there won't ever be a stable version, because new rules will always be written.

        I don't see the point in striving to make things separate from the interpretor.  To me that is like designing a language without taking the listener into account.

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp

        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 1, 2004
          <quote who="Tir Gwaith">
          > There is no "neutral" version, just the perception of one. As a data
          > monkey, I've learned to challenge what my assumptions are, since
          > publishers will always find new and interesting ways of looking at the
          > game. And there won't ever be a stable version, because new rules will
          > always be written.

          I think that a 'neutral' version of the data can be farily easily created.
          The problem the D20 is not the data, but the manipulation of the data.
          Every time a company brings out a new rule the way the data is to be
          manipulated needs to be changed. As you stated the problem is not the
          data, but the extra rules that are always added.

          As I see it encoding the rules can be done in 3 ways:
          - The PCGen way: every thing is hard coded into the program, new rules
          mean new code
          - Put the rules in the data: As well as encoding the data, also encode a
          scripting language to manipulate the data.
          - Plugins: New rules get encoded as plugins that are loaded into the
          program as needed. So a dataset would contain data and a list of plugins
          that are required to manipulate the data.

          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 1, 2004
            <quote who="Frugal">
            I have a certain set of requirements for a truely generic system. These
            > include (but are not limited to):
            >
            > - Support Core 3.0 characters
            > - Support Core 3.5 characters
            > - Support Epic Characters
            > - Support Exclusive Skills (i.e. the complicated calculations
            > for maxRanks)
            > - Support Gestalt Characters (in many forms: Take highest of 2+ values;
            > take sum of 2+ values; take mean of 2+ values);
            > - Support Adding a race and class level at the same time (i.e. in our
            > campaign the DM has decided that the player with the Astral Deva
            > character gets a different XP progression, but goes up a level of
            > Deva and a level of cleric at the same time).
            > - Support floating point variables (i.e. Monk/Rogue BAB of 3.75/3.75
            > would give a BAB of floor(3.75+3.75)=7 rather than
            > floor(3.75)+floor(3.75)=6 )

            I have a rough requirements document I keep adding to as I experiment. I
            currently have 89 requirements and growing ;O)

          • David Finch
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 1, 2004
              Frugal wrote:
              > As I see it encoding the rules can be done in 3 ways:
              > - The PCGen way: every thing is hard coded into the program, new rules
              > mean new code
              > - Put the rules in the data: As well as encoding the data, also encode a
              > scripting language to manipulate the data.
              > - Plugins: New rules get encoded as plugins that are loaded into the
              > program as needed. So a dataset would contain data and a list of plugins
              > that are required to manipulate the data.

              Could you not move to making more of the rules coded into loadable javascript?
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 1, 2004
                <quote who="David Finch">
                > Frugal wrote:
                >> As I see it encoding the rules can be done in 3 ways:
                >> - The PCGen way: every thing is hard coded into the program, new rules
                >> mean new code
                >> - Put the rules in the data: As well as encoding the data, also encode
                >> scripting language to manipulate the data.
                >> - Plugins: New rules get encoded as plugins that are loaded into the
                >> program as needed. So a dataset would contain data and a list of
                >> plugins
                >> that are required to manipulate the data.
                >
                > Could you not move to making more of the rules coded into loadable
                > javascript?

                That was option 2 ;O)

              • David Finch
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 1, 2004
                  Frugal wrote:

                  > <quote who="David Finch">
                  >
                  >>Frugal wrote:
                  >>
                  >>>As I see it encoding the rules can be done in 3 ways:
                  >>> - The PCGen way: every thing is hard coded into the program, new rules
                  >>> mean new code
                  >>> - Put the rules in the data: As well as encoding the data, also encode
                  >>> scripting language to manipulate the data.
                  >>> - Plugins: New rules get encoded as plugins that are loaded into the
                  >>> program as needed. So a dataset would contain data and a list of
                  >>>plugins
                  >>> that are required to manipulate the data.
                  >>
                  >>Could you not move to making more of the rules coded into loadable
                  >>javascript?
                  > That was option 2 ;O)

                  True. I kind of thought you meant adding some small 'scriptlets' into tags.
                  This would add to the completity.

                  My vision of how it should work is a bit more radical. Remove all the
                  character creation specific code from the program all together. Change the
                  LST/XML tags and java code with Javascript functions which are loaded to
                  do the work. This has the disadvatage that they are harder for
                  non-programmers but it would make modifications and updates simpler. (may
                  be a simpler type could be made for the non-programers).

                  To make this work there would be a fix data model of the character, this
                  would enforce only stuff like: there are N abilities, they must have a Name
                  and a Score and a Mod etc. Extra fields can be dynamically added but the
                  Display part of the app, would need specific Java(script) to display them
                  (for example see Mozilla). XML would be used only for the Character Sheet
                  data all other data would be in the Javascript files.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 1, 2004
                    <quote who="David Finch">
                    > My vision of how it should work is a bit more radical. Remove all the
                    > character creation specific code from the program all together. Change the
                    > LST/XML tags and java code with Javascript functions which are loaded to
                    > do the work. This has the disadvatage that they are harder for
                    > non-programmers but it would make modifications and updates simpler. (may
                    > be a simpler type could be made for the non-programers).

                    Have a look at the work andargor had been doing:

                    http://www.andargor.com/files/panther-demo.zip

                  • David Finch
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 1, 2004
                      Frugal wrote:
                      > Have a look at the work andargor had been doing:
                      > http://www.andargor.com/files/panther-demo.zip

                      Very intresting, did this go any further or was it just a tech demo?
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 1, 2004
                        <quote who="David Finch">
                        > Frugal wrote:
                        >> Have a look at the work andargor had been doing:
                        >> http://www.andargor.com/files/panther-demo.zip
                        >
                        > Very intresting, did this go any further or was it just a tech demo?

                        It is curently a tech demo in that this is as far as he has developed it
                        over a couple of weeks.

                        Like all of the tech demos there is a huge difference between handling the
                        basics and handling the more complicated stuff ( I know that I keep
                        hitting problems doing some of the more esoteric things).

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 4, 2004
                          --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith"
                          <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                          > Just to throw a wrench in, because I think there will NEVER be an
                          'non-engine specific' format, truely....

                          > Your example IS engine specific....
                          <fighter_bonus>No</fighter_bonus> in and of itself is engine
                          specific... Types of feats that are choosable as class adjuncts are
                          many, and not just "Fighter."

                          > There is no "neutral" version, just the perception of one. As a
                          data monkey, I've learned to challenge what my assumptions are, since
                          publishers will always find new and interesting ways of looking at the
                          game. And there won't ever be a stable version, because new rules
                          will always be written.

                          > I don't see the point in striving to make things separate from the
                          interpretor. To me that is like designing a language without taking
                          the listener into account.

                          > Tir Gwaith
                          > LST Chimp

                          Nice wrench. :)

                          I don't want ot discuss semantics, but the example I gave is not
                          specific to any engine. For example, I do not plan to use the
                          fighter_bonus tag in my program and I doubt Frugal or PCGen will ever
                          use it.

                          The point is to use XML for what it is intended for: tagging data,
                          nothing more, nothing less. It is a machine readable version of
                          publisher data, that's all.

                          fighter_bonus gets transformed into engine specific tags:
                          type="fighter.bonus"> or even TYPE:General.Fighter if you want to
                          regenerate LST. You use XSLT to do that.

                          The marvelous thing is that you only coded the publisher data once.
                          All you have to do is maintain a transform (XSLT). Ain't that sweet?

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 4, 2004
                            --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:

                            > <quote who="David Finch">
                            > > Frugal wrote:
                            > >> Have a look at the work andargor had been doing:
                            > >> http://www.andargor.com/files/panther-demo.zip
                            > >
                            > > Very intresting, did this go any further or was it just a tech demo?
                            >
                            > It is curently a tech demo in that this is as far as he has developed it
                            > over a couple of weeks.
                            >
                            > Like all of the tech demos there is a huge difference between
                            handling the
                            > basics and handling the more complicated stuff ( I know that I keep
                            > hitting problems doing some of the more esoteric things).
                            >
                            > --
                            > regards,
                            > Frugal
                            > -OS Chimp

                            Yes, it's only a demo as I'm experimenting with the various options
                            Frugal described for the "logic" and "rules" portion of the problem.

                            I tend to favor "option 3":

                            - use a neutral version of the base data which isn't egine specific
                            (enter data once, use many times)
                            - Transform data into an engine specific format (Frugal's, mine,
                            Engine XYZ) using XSLT
                            - Have scriptlets that hook in to provide the rules aspect (I use the
                            term "scriptlets" to denote small bits of code in the engine's
                            preferred language: javascript, python, perl, whatever)

                            The reason that I like this approach is that you don't have to agree
                            on a very specific format for the neutral base data. It can be very
                            loose, like I described. As well, option 2 is still too close to
                            engine specific code, since everyone would have to agree on a language
                            and an API.

                            On the maintenance side, as publisher data is released you don't need
                            developer-grade people to code in loose XML. There are a lot of people
                            out there that are willing to help but that don't know LST,
                            javascript, etc. So their task would be to enter the base data using
                            guidelines. Sure a schema or DTD could be used, but we would have to
                            agree on it, which is no mean task.

                            The rules or logic portion would be then the responsibility of the
                            developer-grade people for each engine. You distribute the workload,
                            and you remove the engine dependency from the base data if an engine
                            gets updated.

                            My general philosophy is that we should minimize the requirements for
                            standards, since that is what has stopped XML projects in the past.
                            Everyone has his/her own view of how the XML data should be
                            structured, and arguments. Let's just get something that can be
                            machine readable and reused out there. The "small steps" theory.

                            Frugal, is it possible for you to do a "neutral" dump as I described
                            if it's not too much trouble? It would allow me to demonstrate what I
                            mean. I could even craft an XSLT that would format the neutral data
                            into one compatible with your engine (as much as possible). It would
                            be much appreciated :)

                            If you don't have the time, could you upload your LST parser so I can
                            fiddle with it?

                            Andargor
                          • Paul M. Lambert
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 4, 2004
                              On Sun, 04 Jul 2004, andargor wrote:

                              > Nice wrench. :)
                              >
                              > I don't want ot discuss semantics, but the example I gave is not
                              > specific to any engine. For example, I do not plan to use the
                              > fighter_bonus tag in my program and I doubt Frugal or PCGen will ever
                              > use it.
                              >
                              > The point is to use XML for what it is intended for: tagging data,
                              > nothing more, nothing less. It is a machine readable version of
                              > publisher data, that's all.
                              >
                              > fighter_bonus gets transformed into engine specific tags:
                              > type="fighter.bonus"> or even TYPE:General.Fighter if you want to
                              > regenerate LST. You use XSLT to do that.
                              >
                              > The marvelous thing is that you only coded the publisher data once.
                              > All you have to do is maintain a transform (XSLT). Ain't that sweet?
                              >
                              > Andargor

                              I've been reading this discussion and I'd like to make sure I understand
                              what you mean, andargor.

                              Tell me what below matches your thoughts and what doesn't, so we can get
                              on the same page. Then I'll be able to tell if I actually agree with
                              you. :-)

                              As I see it your "data neutral" format idea could be re-expressed as a
                              high level pseudo language. This language could then be converted into
                              a given engine's native format (LST, PCGEN-XML--whatever that is,
                              "plambertgen", whatever) if someone writes such a converter. And then the
                              engine can handle that data as it sees fit.

                              I see this to mean that the data neutral format would allow tag
                              (re-)definitions, so, for example, <figher_bonus> could be a tag
                              used in one data file, and it might be definied in coarser game
                              terms in another. This would allow "libraries" of definitions for
                              a given game system or rule set that would allow easy mapping to
                              specific engines in the converters.

                              I'm trying to think of a concrete example. Perhaps something like:

                              <str>7</str>

                              in a character definition for a 3.5 SRD character. And in the
                              library data file for 3.5 SRD, you might have:

                              <character>
                              <attribute>
                              <name>Strength</name>
                              <abbr>STR</abbr>
                              <tag>str</tag>
                              <description>Physical strength and prowess</description>
                              </attribute>
                              </character>

                              These are extremely rough non-scaling examples, of course, and not
                              necessarily how I actually suggest doing attributes, but anyway...

                              A converter then might take that information and turn it into LST data.
                              The converter would know the limits of its target format. For example,
                              if it's not possible to actually change/rename/add attributes in LST
                              format, it would basically know to ignore the attribute definitions and
                              use the ones inherent to the engine. If another were used, it could
                              generate a warning or error.

                              A converter might even have full internal knowledge of a given "library"
                              as well, if it was a good choice for the coder/engine/etc. For example,
                              an engine extremely specific to a certain game rule set (maybe an SRD3.5
                              only web character repository, or whatever) could ignore the library
                              entirely, since the author would know what was and wasn't defined in
                              there.

                              This would mean the libraries and the converters could be maintained by
                              people with strong such skills, while the casual user who just wants to
                              say "I'd like to add a Bow of Tumultuous Angst to my equipment lists;
                              it's a Long Bow that gives +2/+4 only to Chaotic Neutral wielders."
                              could do it with dirt-simple, straightforward tags. Still valid XML, but
                              really simple tags whose inner workings are defined elsewhere, out of
                              sight.

                              However, if they want it to give the wielder +1 to hit for each pound of
                              bat guano they're carrying, they'll need to dig deeper. But simple
                              things will be easy and complex things will be possible. Right?

                              Please let me know where I misunderstand.

                              --plambert
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 4, 2004
                                Answers inline.

                                --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Paul M. Lambert" <plambert@p...> wrote:
                                (snip)
                                > As I see it your "data neutral" format idea could be re-expressed as a
                                > high level pseudo language. This language could then be converted into
                                > a given engine's native format (LST, PCGEN-XML--whatever that is,
                                > "plambertgen", whatever) if someone writes such a converter. And
                                then the
                                > engine can handle that data as it sees fit.
                                >
                                > I see this to mean that the data neutral format would allow tag
                                > (re-)definitions, so, for example, <figher_bonus> could be a tag
                                > used in one data file, and it might be definied in coarser game
                                > terms in another. This would allow "libraries" of definitions for
                                > a given game system or rule set that would allow easy mapping to
                                > specific engines in the converters.

                                You sure think ahead :)

                                Actually, what I propose is more basic: just convert publisher data
                                into a machine readable format with a minimum of context (i.e. XML
                                tags) so that it can be manipulated. Your library concept could then
                                be implemented, if you wish to do so. First things first :)

                                (snip)
                                > This would mean the libraries and the converters could be maintained by
                                > people with strong such skills, while the casual user who just wants to
                                > say "I'd like to add a Bow of Tumultuous Angst to my equipment lists;
                                > it's a Long Bow that gives +2/+4 only to Chaotic Neutral wielders."
                                > could do it with dirt-simple, straightforward tags. Still valid
                                XML, but
                                > really simple tags whose inner workings are defined elsewhere, out of
                                > sight.

                                Yes, the general idea is to leverage the large quantity of people that
                                have the willingess to help but not necessarily the coding skills.
                                They could describe that bow very simply, and fill in the logic
                                portion as a description. Someone with coding skills could then craft
                                an engine specific XSLT and translate the logic into engine-specific
                                "scriptlets" for a particular tool.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                                  <quote who="andargor">

                                  > Frugal, is it possible for you to do a "neutral" dump as I described
                                  > if it's not too much trouble? It would allow me to demonstrate what I
                                  > mean. I could even craft an XSLT that would format the neutral data
                                  > into one compatible with your engine (as much as possible). It would
                                  > be much appreciated :)
                                  >
                                  > If you don't have the time, could you upload your LST parser so I can
                                  > fiddle with it?

                                  The LST parser is already up on the groups file section:

                                  As the date indicates this has not been worked on since the middle of
                                  december. Be warned: "here be kludges".

                                  Feel free to do with it as you will, There should be a GPL header at the
                                  top of each file ;O)

                                • David Finch
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 5, 2004
                                    andargor wrote:
                                    > Yes, the general idea is to leverage the large quantity of people that
                                    > have the willingess to help but not necessarily the coding skills.
                                    > They could describe that bow very simply, and fill in the logic
                                    > portion as a description. Someone with coding skills could then craft
                                    > an engine specific XSLT and translate the logic into engine-specific
                                    > "scriptlets" for a particular tool.

                                    A first good step would be that the data had been input. If the logic has
                                    been typed in english then at least when the conversion to PCgen format is
                                    done someone can go though at 'specialise it' to PCgen format. This has the
                                    added advatage that someone can check that the english logic matches the
                                    real programming logic.
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 6, 2004
                                      --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:

                                      > The LST parser is already up on the groups file section:

                                      20031216.tgz

                                      > As the date indicates this has not been worked on since the middle
                                      of
                                      > december. Be warned: "here be kludges".
                                      >
                                      > Feel free to do with it as you will, There should be a GPL header
                                      at the
                                      > top of each file ;O)
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > regards,
                                      > Frugal
                                      > -OS Chimp

                                      Yikes! There be kludges :)

                                      Well, I had to craft an Ant build.xml, and it seems to compile
                                      properly...

                                      What version of the data files were you using? The parser is croaking
                                      on several of the 5.7.2 ones.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 6, 2004
                                        <quote who="andargor">
                                        > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >> The LST parser is already up on the groups file section:

                                        > 20031216.tgz
                                        >>
                                        >> As the date indicates this has not been worked on since the middle
                                        > of
                                        >> december. Be warned: "here be kludges".
                                        >>
                                        >> Feel free to do with it as you will, There should be a GPL header
                                        > at the
                                        >> top of each file ;O)
                                        >
                                        > Yikes! There be kludges :)
                                        >
                                        > Well, I had to craft an Ant build.xml, and it seems to compile
                                        > properly...

                                        Oh, yeah, oops. I was using Eclipse and it managed all of the building for
                                        me ;O)

                                        > What version of the data files were you using? The parser is croaking
                                        > on several of the 5.7.2 ones.

                                        I was using the CVS data as of the date of the archive. So any new tags
                                        will fail.

                                        IT would be so nice if every time someone messed around with a data tag
                                        they were forced to increment the LST version number. It would make data
                                        management a lot easier if you could state which version of LST syntax
                                        your LST files were.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 6, 2004
                                          --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:

                                          > IT would be so nice if every time someone messed around with a data
                                          tag
                                          > they were forced to increment the LST version number. It would make
                                          data
                                          > management a lot easier if you could state which version of LST
                                          syntax
                                          > your LST files were.
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > regards,
                                          > Frugal
                                          > -OS Chimp

                                          Or if the data were in XML and the rule logic described somewhere for
                                          PCGen, the LST could be regenerated with each new version ;)

                                          Andargor
                                        • Mark Coletti
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 14, 2004
                                            On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:55:51 +0100 (BST), Frugal
                                            <frugal@...> wrote:

                                            > <quote who="Tir Gwaith">
                                            > > There is no "neutral" version, just the perception of one. [...] there won't
                                            > > ever be a stable version, because new rules will
                                            > > always be written.

                                            > I think that a 'neutral' version of the data can be farily easily created.
                                            > The problem the D20 is not the data, but the manipulation of the data.
                                            > Every time a company brings out a new rule the way the data is to be
                                            > manipulated needs to be changed. As you stated the problem is not the
                                            > data, but the extra rules that are always added.

                                            > As I see it encoding the rules can be done in 3 ways:
                                            > - The PCGen way: every thing is hard coded into the program, new rules
                                            > mean new code
                                            > - Put the rules in the data: As well as encoding the data, also encode a
                                            > scripting language to manipulate the data.
                                            > - Plugins: New rules get encoded as plugins that are loaded into the
                                            > program as needed. So a dataset would contain data and a list of plugins
                                            > that are required to manipulate the data.

                                            It was "put the rules in the data" that did it for me. What you're
                                            talking about is really a knowledge base; which makes sense in that
                                            PCGen *is* essentially an expert system that relies on a
                                            knowledge-base containing rules for various d20 based gaming systems.
                                            The problem is that most of the knowledge is either hard-coded in Java
                                            or in LST files, and most of the "inferencing" for the huge cloud of
                                            rules is also hard-coded. (Think IF-THEN and SWITCH statements as a
                                            crude sort of linear, data-driven 'inferencing'.)

                                            JESS is a free, open-source, expert system implemented in Java. I can
                                            easily see where most of the PCGen "knowledge-base" currently spread
                                            among Java and LST files could be rolled into a knowledge-base
                                            containing explicit rules. Specific systems would just add new
                                            knowledge-bases that contain fresh sets of rules (including some that
                                            may remove or modify existing ones).

                                            A JESS (or similar system) based PCGen system would be inherently
                                            smaller since the brunt of the inferencing will be left to the
                                            inference engine, and the rules would be explicitly codified as, well,
                                            rules. You could also set up the knowledge-base such that you can
                                            generate explanations. One thing about the d20 systems is that
                                            they're very complex once you consider all the different rules and
                                            their respective interactions. If, say, a character has an 18 AC, it
                                            might be nice to know *how* and *why* it's currently 18. All the
                                            rules that trigger AC mods could contribute to explanatory text. "AC
                                            base 10, +2 for Dexterity, +3 for ring of nimbleness, +3 to <mumble>
                                            spell effect."

                                            Of course this is all pie-in-the-sky ramblings implementing JESS in
                                            PCGen would entail quite a bit of work. (Um, I think.) But, what the
                                            hell, it makes for a pleasant gedankenexperiment. %-)

                                            More info:

                                            http://web.njit.edu/all_topics/Prog_Lang_Docs/html/jess51/

                                            Cheers!

                                            MAC
                                            --
                                            I'm taking reality in small doses to build immunity.