Re: [pcgen-xml] Re: Sample XML data uploaded

    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2004
      <quote who="Jenni A.M. Merrifield">
      > I do have a question - have you have also generated an XML Schema
      > file that would the XML in this file could be validated against?

      There is indeed a schema that I wrote this against. I did not upload it at
      the same time because I wanted to get an overview from people rather than
      get into a low level discussion about why I had used a complex type
      instead of a nested element ;O)

      > I'm asking because I assume there will need to be one for PCGen to
      > use when validating XML Data files, and it seems to me that it would
      > be more efficient to capture elements and types that have general
      > agreement in an XML Schema as they are agreed on, rather than trying
      > to generate an entire schema in one fell swoop.

      Swings and roundabouts.

      Having a schema at this point does mean that any time we change it we have
      to upadate the data. It also means that we can ensure that the data we
      have written will validate.

      On the other hand it makes experimenting a lot more difficult if the
      editor is constantly telling you that you have malformed XML, and you
      spend a lot of time editing existing XML incrementally rather than doing
      it all in one big swoop.

      > The "accepted" elements and types in the schema can then be more
      > rigourouly "tested" and incrementally updated as required. While
      > any element or type that is only a proposal would gain from having a
      > concrete formal definition.

      I agree, this is why I tend to use schemas for development purposes.

      So, apart from Jennis suggestions about a choose tag, does any one have
      any comments or do people think that this XML is good enough ?