Re: Sample XML data uploaded

  • Jenni A.M. Merrifield
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2004
      <quote who="Frugal">

      > After playing with it for a fair but I have uploaded some concrete
      > implementations of some of the srd35:

      [snip]

      Pretty impressive list of things there. Can't wait to see how it
      looks.

      > I know that we have not settled on a syntax for <prereq> or
      > <variable-bonus> and that <choices> is completely up in the air at
      > the moment, but I wanted to present this as a way of keeping the
      > momentum going...

      Smart plan. :-)

      > Let me know what you think.

      I do have a question - have you have also generated an XML Schema
      file that would the XML in this file could be validated against?

      I'm asking because I assume there will need to be one for PCGen to
      use when validating XML Data files, and it seems to me that it would
      be more efficient to capture elements and types that have general
      agreement in an XML Schema as they are agreed on, rather than trying
      to generate an entire schema in one fell swoop.

      The "accepted" elements and types in the schema can then be more
      rigourouly "tested" and incrementally updated as required. While
      any element or type that is only a proposal would gain from having a
      concrete formal definition.

      Jenni
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2004
        <quote who="Jenni A.M. Merrifield">
        > I do have a question - have you have also generated an XML Schema
        > file that would the XML in this file could be validated against?

        There is indeed a schema that I wrote this against. I did not upload it at
        the same time because I wanted to get an overview from people rather than
        get into a low level discussion about why I had used a complex type
        instead of a nested element ;O)

        > I'm asking because I assume there will need to be one for PCGen to
        > use when validating XML Data files, and it seems to me that it would
        > be more efficient to capture elements and types that have general
        > agreement in an XML Schema as they are agreed on, rather than trying
        > to generate an entire schema in one fell swoop.

        Swings and roundabouts.

        Having a schema at this point does mean that any time we change it we have
        to upadate the data. It also means that we can ensure that the data we
        have written will validate.

        On the other hand it makes experimenting a lot more difficult if the
        editor is constantly telling you that you have malformed XML, and you
        spend a lot of time editing existing XML incrementally rather than doing
        it all in one big swoop.

        > The "accepted" elements and types in the schema can then be more
        > rigourouly "tested" and incrementally updated as required. While
        > any element or type that is only a proposal would gain from having a
        > concrete formal definition.

        I agree, this is why I tend to use schemas for development purposes.

        So, apart from Jennis suggestions about a choose tag, does any one have
        any comments or do people think that this XML is good enough ?