Re: Philadelphia Community Garden Network Meetings and the group

  • Adam Fels
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23 7:19 PM
      At the moment there is some awareness of this group. I've been
      trying to promote the group more. It is difficult getting the word
      out without organizational or financial backing. Most of the
      promotion so far has been zero cost links and word of mouth.
      Currently we are listed as a resource on a few sites like (ACGA)
      American Community Gardening Association. I believe the
      Horticultural society is somewhat aware of this group I'm not sure
      about NGA or Philly Green. Promoting the group is rather a slow
      progress due to a few causes mostly from lack of representation to
      the other garden networks and the general slowness of word of mouth
      promotions.

      During the first meeting we had talked about trying to start a few
      shared resources such as:
      1. Garden to garden seed trade (Pending)
      2. Multi-garden bulk purchasing (Pending)
      3. General knowledge and skilled labor sharing. (Slow progress
      mostly forum based at the moment.)
      4. Community garden forum (established)
      5. Community garden List (Created but not in use yet)
      6. Group Contact list (Created but not in use yet)
      7. Monthly meetings (established but dormant as of the moment)
      8. Local Material source list (Pending)
      9. Web site lists of relevant subjects and resources (started
      and growing)

      Unfortunately a lot of these resources that we would like to start
      really do depend on multiple community gardens and their willingness
      to participate in them. As a start for some of the resources I had
      started a few resource lists in the database section of this site to
      facilitate some means of organization and garden representation.
      Unfortunately they have yet to be filled out.

      Urban redevelopment is a big problem to contend with there are lots
      of methods to try to deal with this problem. I'm not sure what your
      garden has tried so far to deal with this issue. I'm sure I could
      put together a list with a few of methods to try if you would like
      them. Off the bat, I can point you to an article that was published
      last year in the Philadelphia inquirer. In it lists a few ideas on
      what can be done to confront this issue and talks about how to
      legally gain rights to the land your garden is on.

      The article can be found at:
      http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/living/columnists/denise_cowie/36489
      49.htm

      I hope that answers some of your questions.

      Adam Fels