World renown naturalist to visit Philadelphia April 25th

  • DAVID SILLER
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2007
      Dear Friends,

      Next Wednesday, April 25th, a world renown naturalist, Frank Cook, will be visiting Philadelphia to lead two plant walks and talks at two of our local urban farms.

      Despite the weather, it is spring out! Many plants are emerging in our city environment. Join us for this unique opportunity, for a deeper look at the flora around us in these growing urban oases. We will delve into recognizing plants by family/genus and Frank will share his extensive knowledge of the medicinal/edible qualities of the plants we meet and how this relates to plants around the world. Folks who are interested in local herbs and medicines should be sure not to miss these events.

      Hope you can make it! Join us for one event or both. Please forward this information widely! For more on Frank, look at: http://www.plantsandhealers.com/

      12:00pm-3:00pm Weaver's Way Farm At Awbury Arboretum, Germantown, PhiladelphiaLocation: West Side of Washington Lane between Chew and Ardleigh Ave. Map to the farm: http://weaversway.coop/index.php?page=185

      3:30pm-6:30pm Mill Creek Farm In West Philadelphia. If your a 9-5er, come at 5.
      Location: 49th and Brown. See http://www.millcreekurbanfarm.org/ for detailed directions.

      A small donation to Frank for his teaching is requested. Questions? Email me. dsiller@...

      Below is a list of other events Frank will be facillitating in the North East U.S. this month and next.

      Upcoming Gatherings
      April 20- Getting to know the Planetary Herbs Green Earth Goods Clarksburg, MD 5-7
      The famous medicinal herbs from around the world are becoming available us. Come hear this talk of how they can enhance our lives. Learn more about the ginsengs of the far east, the immune boosters of the Amazon, the pain relievers from downunder and the nutrition of the weeds out our back doors. Let us begin this Earthday weekend honoring our plant allies together.
      The eco-friendly Green Earth Goods is located in a restored colonial outpost at 23341 Fredrick Road. For more information contact Niki@... or call 301-916-2035.
      April 21- Getting to know the Trees with Jim Duke Bethesda, MD 10-1
      Wood Acres neighborhood was built in a forest back in the 1930’s. Many trees still stand and are our greatest treasure. Come walk about the neighborhood and meet a couple of dozen tree species. Our walk will be guided by the world-renowned Economic Botanist, James Duke. Meet at the park located behind Woodacres Elementary School. Donations are appreciated.
      For more information and to let us know you are coming please contact:
      Kaye Cook kcooknet@... or 301-320-5343
      April 22- Earthday in Jim Duke’s Garden Fulton, MD 11-2
      What better way to spend earth day than in the gardens of James Duke, author of "The Green Pharmacy" and many other books. Each garden bed represents plants used to cure common diseases and there are over 300 plants presently used in medicine. A wild foods snack will be offered and opportunities to discuss some of the medicinal questions affecting modern Americans. A $35 donation is requested. Give what you can; Receive what you need. RSVP
      *Directions to Jim Duke’s Gardens can best be found from your location by mapquesting his address: 8210 Murphy Road
      For More Information and to let us know you are coming please contact:
      Kaye Cook at kcooknet@... or 301-320-5343April 25th Two plant Walks near Philadelphia
      Come join us for a couple of afternoon to evening plant walks at Weaver's Way Farm in Mt. Airy (Awbury Arboretum/ Washington Lane) and Mill Creek Farm in West. Philly (49th and Brown). Hope to see you at one or the other (or both?) For details contact: David Siller dsiller@... or call him 267-319-2733

      April 28th Plant Walk at Genesis Farm Blairstown,NJ 10-2
      Join us for a walk about the farm meeting the plants that grow there. The cost is $25 and includes lunch. For more information on Genesis Farm check www.genesisfarm.org. To register contact Jessica: jessikaht@... or call her 973-919-8173April 29th Afternoon Plant Walk at Germantown Community Farm, in Germantown, NY 1:00 - 5:30
      Come walk with us on around the farm, meadow, orchard, and forest, on a plant inventory. The walk is open-ended, and we can take the discussion wherever we like including: plants as allies, wild foods, medicine making, botany, plant spirit medicine, thrival living, and plants and healers of the world. Cost for this workshop: $20-40 sliding scale. Materials to bring: notebook and pencil camera if desired snacks Bring a dish and stay for the potluck dinner if you like! RSVP Rafter at kudzu@... to reserve a spot!
      April 30th Wild Medicinal Mead Dayat Germantown Community Farm, in Germantown, NY 9:30am - 4:00pm
      Frank will guide us through a complete process of making a wild medicinal mead. We'll go from selecting and harvesting wild plants for flavor and medicinal value, through choosing and preparing our infusion, to preparing our batch of mead and setting it to ferment! We'll learn and discuss the history of fermentation generally, and mead-making in particular, as food-preservation and medicine, and how that history is useful for us today. The results tend to be pretty magical, in flavor and vitality. Cost for this workshop: $40-60 sliding scale Materials to bring: 1-gal. glass jug (or a few) notebook and pencil potluck dish for lunch! RSVP Rafter at kudzu@... to reserve a spot!
      May 5th LIVING IN LOVE WITH PLANTS THRIVAL LIVING SKILLS AND HERBAL WORKSHOP 10am-4pm Boodle Hole Rd in Accord.
      Come spend a day learning about: Local edible and medicinal plants, Native plant uses from around the world, Plant spirit medicine, fermentation, how to integrate plant wisdom into your life Natural living skills. To register and get directions contact Sarah at 687-0453 / sarai510@...
      May 6th Plant Walk in Tabernacle, NJ 10-3
      Come join us for a beautiful spring walk. A delicious lunch is optional, and available for extra donation. For more information and directions contact Matt: mattg95@... 11 – Wild Foods and Fermentation with Sandor Katz Asheville, NC 10-5
      Come participate in a cultural revolution! Sandor katz, author of Wild Fermentation (wildfermentation.com), and local herbalist Frank Cook are offering a full-day workshop on wild foods and fermentation. Workshop includes a weed walk and harvest, a vegetarian wild foods lunch, and demonstrations on making kimchi, miso, elixirs, and much more.
      The workshop will be held at the Ashevillage Institute of Kleiwerks. For more information checkout www.kleiwerks.com/events_projects.php#wild
      May 12-13- Lake Eden Arts Festival Black Mountain, NC
      I have been going to this land for festivals and commemoration of the Black Mountain College over the last 20 years. This year I will facilitate a plant spirit medicine circle on Sat evening and a plant spirit talk on Sunday morning. Hope to see you there. Contact www.theleaf.com for more information
      May 21 -Plants and Healers of the World 5-8 NCSHH Asheville, NC
      Are you preparing yourself to venture out and discover the world? Have you already been out there and have some stories to share? Come hear stories about plants and healers around the world with an emphasis on Frank’s recent trips to Costa Rica, England, New Zealand and Australia. Come share insights from your adventures. Introductions will start at 5 and we will share a *potluck at 6. Donations appreciated. Details can be found at www.herbsheal.com or 828-350-1221.
      *Please bring homemade, home-fermented food or drinks
      May 23-25 -Wildroots Walk on the Appalachian Trail
      Come hike and camp with us on the Appalachian Trail near Wildroots Community identifying and using wild plants and mushrooms for food and medicine along the way. Join us for the day or the whole walk. Donations appreciated. Visit www.wildroots.org for details.
      May 28- Exploring the Plant Families-Mints, Scrophs, and Verbenas. 6-8 NCSHH
      Step through the green wall and meet three fascinating families worth knowing. Become more familiar with these important plant families who are often confused. We will focus on the common, well-known genera locally and around the world. Learn how they can help to tantalize your tastebuds, heal your ills, lift your mood, actualize your visions and much more. Come share your stories about these families. *Appetizers will be served. Donations appreciated.
      Details can be found at www.herbsheal.com or 828-350-1221.
      *Bring a homemade dish if you wish to share.
      May 29-Asheville Walkabout
      Let us meet in the Asheville Edible Garden* at 10 am and spend the day walking about the city meeting the plants and natural resources of the area. The time has come for us to honor our connection to nature. We will have time to share stories, affinity circles, play music, and enjoy nature’s bounty. Bring along what you feel you need and want to share with the circle. Donations appreciated for right-livelihood. Suggested items include water, food, medicines, raincoat, instruments, songs, poetry, and stories. Rain or Shine.
      *The gardens are located on Charlotte Street across the walking bridge from the municipal buildings.
      Peeking Ahead:
      June 8-10 From Seeds to Sauce Oz Retreat Center California
      Join our circle at this sweet retreat center along the Mendocino coast. We will explore together many aspects of food and healthy living. Check out: www.seedstosauce.com or contact Chas at: thechasmo@... for details.

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.