International Outreach Camp, a post PC project

  • wendy_shapiro
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6 1:59 PM
      Hi,
      My name is Wendy Shapiro (RPCV Ukraine 2002-2006) and I'd like to
      let you know about a post-Peace Corps project I am a part of, called
      International Outreach Camp (IOC).

      Do you or did you work with remarkable young people you want to
      ensure have a chance to explore cross-cultural experiences just like
      you did? IOC gives them that chance. Students gather from around the
      world in Ukraine or Armenia to study civic leadership, share their
      cultures and plan projects that they can take home and implement in
      their communities. They participate in Model UN and Model EU
      Parliament debates, development skills in teamwork and display their
      talents in theater and music. Read more about what we've done for
      the last two years at www.iocoalition.org.

      IOC is completely staffed by volunteers – PCVs, RPCVs and host-
      country student leaders. This keeps our expenses to a minimum and
      demonstrates the civic spirit we want to model. Participation fees
      include all in-country food, lodging, excursions, orientation
      sessions and camp expenses. To encourage international participants
      from a wide range of countries, we have set the following tiers:

      North American: $900 EU: $500 All Others: $300

      You, better than I, know where to find bright, motivated and hard-
      working students age 16-25 who would benefit from this program. I'm
      asking your help in two areas:
      • Help us identify students who are ready to share and learn
      from their peers in both the developed and developing worlds and to
      bring their experiences back to improve their own communities.
      • Help us identify funding sources for those students. Again,
      you better than I know what resources might be available in your
      country of service that can help support their participation.
      I can supply you with materials specially designed for international
      students interested in IOC. Please contact me at
      shapirowendy@... to discuss how you can bring students to
      Armenia or Ukraine in 2007.
      Wendy