Sunday means - POETRY!!!

  • Aaron Melocik
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2005
      Hey all - Todd and I were talking a while ago aobut a poetry exchange, and I figured that this
      first Sunday of the new month is a prime time to get the ball started... or the party rolling...
      Well, whatever, we're going to push the medal to the petal... or other Spoonerisms.
      So, copious ellipses aside, I've decided, thourgh the highly-rigorous-and-scientific process of
      my personal preference, that the first poem we can all do is a triolet! You can find the details
      for the triolet in the files section of the PCChina group (pcchina@yahoogroups.com; Subscribe:
      pcchina-subscribe@yahoogroups.com), or below. Let me explain some things about the poetry exchange
      first, though, before we all run amok with the format.
      This is completely voluntary, there is no cash reward, there is no promise of publication nor
      outrageous fame, power, and sexual favors. This is just for anyone who is interested in expressing
      his- or her-self poetically in a community of people who want to read poetry. Many (most, I'd
      guess) of us haven't written any poetry in like the last 5 years; if it seems intimidating or
      weird, don't worry; anyone who submits will be totally suported. If it's your first time and
      you're interested, be brave and write. You might like it. If you do - submit!!!
      There are ground rules which I must mention, even though none of us needs to hear them: 1) no
      one is allowed to bash, defame, flame, or harass any poetic submissive (heh heh heh) or his or her
      work. 2) constructive criticism is welcome (particularly for my work - tell me what you think) and
      analysis is appreciated, but criticism should be academic in nature. Compliments can be personal
      ("Todd, I love your poem, and you looked SSSsssooo good in that doctor's outfit!"). 3) be
      sensitive and judicious about what you post here (subject material, people mentioned, etc.); you
      cannot control a reader's reaction, but you can control your writing, so err on the side of
      caution. Poetry is at least one part politics, and "all writing is... an act of faith."
      In order to participate, just write a poem in the format of the week (or two, or five, or
      one-third of one, if you want it looked at) and post it any time. It will be read and responded
      to. This will probbly be run on a weekly or bi-weekly format (with new formats every week or 2),
      and, depending on interest, I might cull names from the list of addy's here. Please remember to
      "respond-ALL" when you send your poem!
      If you've read this far, hopefully you're intereted in submitting, or reading everyone else's
      work! So, without further ado, here's the triolet format:

      Triolet

      The “tri” (meaning three) refers to the fact that the opening line occurs three times in this
      form.
      An eight line poem with two rhymes and two repeating lines
      A French medieval form discontinued during the 16th C... brought back for fun in the 19th

      A relatively easy form to work with because of its short length and repeating lines.
      The two opening lines determine the poem’s flavor and feeling...
      Most traditional triolets celebrate love and were cheerful and playful in tone

      Some ideas:
      two lines in a conversation with a friend
      think of a subject and write two statements about it

      In diagram form:

      Last Night at The Hospital

      A perfectly clear liquid like water flows out of the spine A
      Last night in the hospital this is what I saw B
      Siphoned through tubes, it drips its design A1
      A perfectly clear liquid like water flows out of the spine A
      Tiny drops squeezed from the brain in a line? A2
      Until a doctor draws it out with a glass straw B1
      A perfectly clear liquid like water flows out of the spine A
      Last night at the hospital this is what I saw. B

      Perfect Words

      The perfect words to say, said with the wrong rhyme
      Heart broken, nothing left but an open space
      One last chance to say the perfect line
      The perfect words to say, said with the wrong rhyme
      Wishing I could hold back the cold hands of time
      Knowing I can’t change the expression on your face
      The perfect words to say, said with the wrong rhyme
      Heart broken, nothing left but an open space

      Mark Brim

      --- Aaron

      http://mail.yahoo.com