Re: [pcchina] Digest Number 114

  • Lexie Caine, Kai Feifei
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2005
      Thalia
              I would not stress out too much about bringing teaching materials.  I mailed my teaching journal from home along with my winter clothes and I have only used a handout from the articles I collected once. Also the office in Chengdu has a great resource center and library we can borrow books from, so once you get into teaching and life at your school you can call anyone on staff and have them mail you the information you need. I would do it this way because we really are TEFL volunteers not ESL volunteers- unlike in Mongolia or Malayasia where English is an offical language.  So if you want to get a book or two about teaching English as a foreign language or teaching culture that might be helpful, but anything else Peace Corps or the information center in DC can probably find and get to you.

      All the best, Lexie.

      pcchina@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      Dying to be thin?
      Anorexia. Narrated by Julianne Moore .
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/FLQ_sC/gsnJAA/E2hLAA/r20olB/TM

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. On teaching
      From: "chinkerfly"

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:33:20 -0000
      From: "chinkerfly"
      Subject: On teaching

      Hello everyone! I thought I'd venture a question unrelated to packing
      for once. If you have the time, I'd love some insight on your first
      day of teaching in China. For example, how did you personally prepare
      for it, what were your students like, your classroom setting, what
      kind of books did you bring with you for teaching? There are so many
      resources out there I don't even know where to begin. Or if you
      prefer, a detailed account of what your first day was like would be
      wonderful too!

      I have no real formal experience in education, so anything you can
      offer I'm sure will help, feel free to dumb it down for me and tell me
      things that you might consider common sense. :)

      Thanks!

      ~Thalia~

      p.s. have many of you found the ESL Miscellany book helpful? I
      haven't purchased it yet, just wanted to get some feedback on it.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://mail.yahoo.com