Re: Any news from China?

  • justintw5
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
      Hey Tim,

      I'm Justin. I live in Chongqing City and teach at Chongqing Normal
      University. As far as teaching English, we all have vastly
      different assignments. Some of us teach high school students, some
      of us teach university non-english majors, some of us (myself
      included here) teach university english majors. also, the subjects
      we teach and our methodology vary widely depending on ourselves, our
      students, and what our schools ask of us.

      I don't think you should feel like it's equivalent to teaching in an
      american university. first of all, the students mostly don't speak
      english wonderfully as it is not their native language. some
      students speak no english whatsoever. i teach some of the most
      advanced university students and sometimes i feel like i'm teaching
      much younger students because of the communication barrier. you
      will not likely be lecturing on the finer points of british
      literature, but more likely teaching students how to communicate
      effectively, how to write clear sentences, letters, and how to read
      and understand passages. i've been working on getting my students
      to do introductions, to argue effectively, to use english in a
      professional setting, and to have confidence when speaking. this is
      for my oral class. i also teach a cinema class in which i try to
      get my students to understand real spoken english and the cultural
      context it's used in. the peace corps staff is also wonderful and
      seems to be very good about placing people at schools that match
      their abilities and backgrounds.

      all of us have very, very different experiences, and hopefully some
      others can add to what i've said and correct anything they feel is
      untrue for them.

      best wishes,

      Justin Walls