Any news from Big Red?

  • q_timong
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2004
      Just wondering how the PCVs are doing in their assignments? I'm
      hoping to join you folks next year.

      Tim
    • Lindsey Aysta
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
        --- q_timong <q_timong@...> wrote:

        > I'm sure we'd all love to give you info about
        china.... But first---who the heck is Big Red?

        > Just wondering how the PCVs are doing in their
        > assignments? I'm
        > hoping to join you folks next year.
        >
        > Tim

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • q_timong
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
          Just a play on words. I mean China, of course.

          FYI...China's largest PC maker, Lenovo Group, recently bought IBM's
          PC business, so people were saying it's Big Red now instead of Big
          Blue.

          --- In pcchina@yahoogroups.com, Lindsey Aysta <binzerinchina@y...>
          wrote:

          > --- q_timong <q_timong@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > I'm sure we'd all love to give you info about
          > china.... But first---who the heck is Big Red?
          >

          > > Just wondering how the PCVs are doing in their
          > > assignments? I'm
          > > hoping to join you folks next year.
          > >
          > > Tim
        • maria calisto
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2004
            Tim,

            Merry Christmas from the land of noodles, rice and
            many other delicious things. Our first semester is
            winding down, and all the pcvs are eagerly awaiting
            IST (In Service Training) in Gansu province at the end
            of January to meet up again!

            I will tell you a little about my neck of the woods,
            and please take it as just that. Volunteers are spread
            out all over the place, each one with their own unique
            experience. My husband and I are teaching at a
            university of about 20,000 in Mianyang, Sichuan
            Province. I teach environment english and he teaches
            english (oral and writing). There are lots of other
            foreigners here, which is a bit unusual, and our
            living conditions are really confortable. Downtown is
            just 30 min. away, and you can get nearly everything
            there. Including McDonald's of course.

            We know enough chinese to get by, although peace corps
            is paying for a tutor. And teaching has definatly been
            a roller coaster ride... but very rewarding and
            enlightning. Hope everything is well in the good old
            US of A.

            Merry Christmas
            Maria

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005
              Maria,

              Happy new year! Hope you all are having a good break. The upcoming
              Chinese New Year celebrations should be fun.

              I got a question about English teaching. I've done ESL teaching
              before, but I'm not comfortable about university-level teaching.
              What kind of English teaching do the PCVs do in China? Is it more
              like the English classes in the US (Literature, Creative writing,
              etc) or it more like traditional ESL or EFL?

              Tim

              --- In pcchina@yahoogroups.com, maria calisto <mariacalisto@y...>
              wrote:
              > Tim,
              >
              > Merry Christmas from the land of noodles, rice and
              > many other delicious things. Our first semester is
              > winding down, and all the pcvs are eagerly awaiting
              > IST (In Service Training) in Gansu province at the end
              > of January to meet up again!
              >
              > I will tell you a little about my neck of the woods,
              > and please take it as just that. Volunteers are spread
              > out all over the place, each one with their own unique
              > experience. My husband and I are teaching at a
              > university of about 20,000 in Mianyang, Sichuan
              > Province. I teach environment english and he teaches
              > english (oral and writing). There are lots of other
              > foreigners here, which is a bit unusual, and our
              > living conditions are really confortable. Downtown is
              > just 30 min. away, and you can get nearly everything
              > there. Including McDonald's of course.
              >
              > We know enough chinese to get by, although peace corps
              > is paying for a tutor. And teaching has definatly been
              > a roller coaster ride... but very rewarding and
              > enlightning. Hope everything is well in the good old
              > US of A.
              >
              > Merry Christmas
              > Maria
              > --- q_timong <q_timong@y...> wrote:
              >

              > > Just wondering how the PCVs are doing in their
              > > assignments? I'm
              > > hoping to join you folks next year.
              > >
              > > Tim

              > http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
            • justintw5
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
                Hey Tim,

                I'm Justin. I live in Chongqing City and teach at Chongqing Normal
                University. As far as teaching English, we all have vastly
                different assignments. Some of us teach high school students, some
                of us teach university non-english majors, some of us (myself
                included here) teach university english majors. also, the subjects
                we teach and our methodology vary widely depending on ourselves, our
                students, and what our schools ask of us.

                I don't think you should feel like it's equivalent to teaching in an
                american university. first of all, the students mostly don't speak
                english wonderfully as it is not their native language. some
                students speak no english whatsoever. i teach some of the most
                advanced university students and sometimes i feel like i'm teaching
                much younger students because of the communication barrier. you
                will not likely be lecturing on the finer points of british
                literature, but more likely teaching students how to communicate
                effectively, how to write clear sentences, letters, and how to read
                and understand passages. i've been working on getting my students
                to do introductions, to argue effectively, to use english in a
                professional setting, and to have confidence when speaking. this is
                for my oral class. i also teach a cinema class in which i try to
                get my students to understand real spoken english and the cultural
                context it's used in. the peace corps staff is also wonderful and
                seems to be very good about placing people at schools that match
                their abilities and backgrounds.

                all of us have very, very different experiences, and hopefully some
                others can add to what i've said and correct anything they feel is
                untrue for them.

                best wishes,

                Justin Walls