Dream of hacking ActiMates crushed, by patents.

  • Robert Piera Roehm
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2005
      When I got the Actimates Barney, Arthur and D.W. dolls, they had a
      "Patent Pending" stamp on them. I assumed that the patent was pursued
      by Microsoft, where in reality, it was merely licensed from Creator,
      Ltd., of Herzlia, Israel.

      It was patented, later applied to the Team Concepts Smart.Alex
      interactive book doll.

      Patent 5752880 "Interactive doll," awarded May 19, 1998
      Patent 6022273 "Interactive doll," awarded Feb 8, 2000

      Both patents are over 120 pages long, most of it logic drawings, and
      toy diagrams.

      What is interesting to look at are some "drawings," actual printouts
      of hexidecimal code from the ROM chips that were created for ther
      interactive radio system for the toys.

      So I really can't do anything with the dolls until Feb 8, 2020, when
      both patents expire. By that time, the toys would be obsolete, and I'd
      be 46 years old.

      I now understand why the only documentation out there that dealt in
      ToyAPI hacking is the Dourish document at
      http://sandbox.xerox.com/dourish/sweetpea.pdf

      More is the pity.

      Well, I wonder if I can do something, even though there's no products
      out there with this LivingObjects technology. The websites are gone,
      but is the owning company still puruing its holding on its patents?
    • music_beans2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2005
        Why would you hack the ActiMates anyway? Aint that Illegal?
      • agent_0042
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 15, 2005
          >Why would you hack the ActiMates anyway? Aint that Illegal?
          Well, I think the reason you would hack them is that they're not made
          anymore, so it's getting harder to use them. It probably is illegal,
          but it's not like anyone's policing it.

          Nice work again on the screencaps!
        • Raymond
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 26, 2005
            I read that patching ROMs in some devices is legal as long as you
            keep the patched device to your self. I read this in a book about
            old computers.