Gay offered contract...

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      From Mike Reiss today...

      **************************

      The Patriots have offered cornerback Randall Gay a one-year, $1.3
      million contract today.

      The contract means that if another team attempts to sign Gay -- who
      is a restricted free agent -- it would have to surrender a second-
      round draft choice if the Patriots didn't match.

      "He's very excited and thought it was an honor," said Albert Elias,
      who represents Gay. "It shows him they have faith in him."

      **************************

      I think it's a good move. He has shown promise (if he can stay
      healthy). At the very least, it helps build depth in the secondaty,
      with someone who knows the system.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007
        I'm personally quite pleased about the Randall Gay
        move. When he badly broke his ankle it was while
        running stride for stride with Steve Smith in
        Carolina. If the injury didn't set him back too far
        he had shown considerable promise and for a short bit
        was actually playing better corner than Assante. Now
        Assante obviously elevated his game while Gay just
        tried to push through injury and ultimately has been
        out for too long. Can he come back? Hard to tell but
        this is a gamble that is at least worth the tender
        offer they've made to him. I'm sure in training camp
        Belichick will make those determinations and I could
        really see Hobbs and Samuels holding down the corners
        while Gay gives us an effective nickel.

        This team can almost never have too many corners but
        of course if Gay can't stay healthy this round it's
        his last run around here with the Pats.