Key Off Season Dates

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
      From THE blog:

      Feb. 8 -- First day clubs can designate franchise or
      transition players
      Feb. 21-27 -- NFL Combine in Indianapolis
      Feb. 22 -- Deadline for designation of franchise or
      transition players
      March 1 -- Deadline for clubs to submit offers to
      exclusive rights free agents and restricted free
      agents
      March 2 -- Free agency and trading period begins
      March 19 -- Clubs may begin offseason training
      programs
      March 25-28 -- NFL owners meetings in Phoenix
      April 28-29 -- NFL Draft
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
        ***** What this means to us at the moment is that the Patriots have 2 weeks to either sign our 2 biggest potential FA's, Samuel and Graham, before making "tag" decsions on them.

        George
        Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2007
          If the tag is used, is the money all salary, or can some be
          converted to a bonus? If it's salary only, does it all count toward
          the cap?

          If it does, Samuel would be the highest paid player on the team next
          year, with a salary higher than TB or Seymour (from Miguel's
          figures). I don't think that's gonna happen. If they can't negotiate
          a deal (and I don't think they'll be able to) I think he's gone. I
          think they have a much better chance of coming to terms with Graham,
          and not using the tag at all. JMO.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2007
            When the Franchise tag is used it counts entirely as
            salary for the cap.

            Highest salary with no bonus money doesn't necessarily
            equivocate to the highest salary since up front money
            has a higher value. There's no bonus money involved
            up front.

            I very much hope we keep Samuel but I am skeptical
            about our chances of using the franchise tag on him.
            Skeptical that we'd do it not skeptical on my feelings
            about it. My feeling remain confident they will take
            the appropriate action.

            If the tag is used, is the money all salary, or can
            some be
            converted to a bonus? If it's salary only, does it all
            count toward
            the cap?

            If it does, Samuel would be the highest paid player on
            the team next
            year, with a salary higher than TB or Seymour (from
            Miguel's
            figures). I don't think that's gonna happen. If they
            can't negotiate
            a deal (and I don't think they'll be able to) I think
            he's gone. I
            think they have a much better chance of coming to
            terms with Graham,
            and not using the tag at all. JMO.

            fdb

            --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "George"
            <patswingr@...> wrote:

            > ***** What this means to us at the moment is that
            > the Patriots
            have 2 weeks
            > to either sign our 2 biggest potential FA's, Samuel
            > and Graham,
            before
            > making "tag" decsions on them.
            >
            > George
            > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!
            >

            > _____

            To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan
            Group, send an email to:

            Yahoo! Groups Links