Saga of The Statue Continues...

  • philw1776@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
      ON FOOTBALL
      Offseason option play is eluding Bledsoe

      By Ron Borges, Globe Staff, 4/1/2002

      Drew Bledsoe knows exactly where he's going to be this week.

      He won't be at Fenway Park today when many of his Patriots teammates
      attend the Red Sox home opener in front of an adoring crowd.

      He will be at the White House tomorrow when the Super Bowl champions
      are greeted by President Bush.

      *** Knowing that Drew is a Fascist Republican exploiter of the masses, I
      wonder how the Krishnas feel?

      He won't be at the opening of the team's offseason workout program
      later this week - for the first time in nine years. He doesn't even
      know when it's scheduled to start, nor does he care.

      *** Drew, without a clue? How can it be?

      He will be back at his lakefront home in Montana not long after he's
      done shaking Bush's hand, because that is his refuge from the
      uncertainty of his dying days as a Patriot.

      Beyond that, according to someone with personal knowledge of Bledsoe's
      thinking and his situation, he doesn't know any better than anyone
      else where he's headed. And he's not counting out Cincinnati.

      According to a source within Bledsoe's inner circle, the quarterback
      has not told the Bengals he will not play there but he did have his
      agent, David Dunn, inform them several weeks ago that he was in no
      hurry to agree to a trade and would not do so until he had seen what
      else was available to him.

      That was not a rejection of Cincinnati. It was a statement of his
      mind-set, which is to put his future first for once rather than sit
      quietly while others in Foxborough define it for him.

      ''Drew wants to keep his options open,'' the source said over the
      weekend. ''What he tried to do with Cincinnati was put them on the
      back burner, without shutting it down completely. Retirement isn't
      really an option for him right now, but he has no feel for how this is
      going to end except that if he has to go back to New England he'll
      make an accommodation with it and go back there and be the best
      quarterback on the team, whether they start him or not.''

      *** Intellectually, I agree with this. Tragically, Drew again fails to
      realize that he has some deficiencies in his game and should be working his
      ass off improving his play. Now, he's doing even less than in prior years.
      And he wonders why he's not a valuable commodity. Earth to Drew. Earth to
      Drew, come in.

      In Sunday's Globe, ex-Patriot linebacker and widely proclaimed
      spiritual leader Bryan Cox talked about how he had been treated in the
      weeks following the Super Bowl, claiming that neither he nor fellow
      linebacker Roman Phifer had been contacted by anyone at the top of the
      Patriots organization about his future with the team. Cox credited the
      coaching staff for winning the Super Bowl with a team that was not the
      most talented among those in the playoffs, but he was far from
      complimentary about the way the organization treated him once the
      season was over.

      Since head coach Bill Belichick is the organization and nothing
      happens without his approval, it seemed clear at whom Cox was aiming
      his criticism. And Bledsoe's point of view on Belichick's management
      style is much the same as Cox's, according to his inner circle.

      ''There's no human factor in the whole thing with Belichick,'' the
      source said. ''He thinks Drew and Tom [Brady] can come back in July
      and everything will be like it was last year because they're under
      contract. That's the way he is. That's how he thinks. Put the pieces
      in and move them around and that's it. Human beings aren't like that.

      *** Cold as ice man. Cold as ice.

      ''Drew understands that the way Belichick played it politically last
      year was perfect because of the way [Bledsoe] is. He understands there
      was a reason Belichick was able to do it the way he did. Belichick
      knew Drew would let him play it out and not be disruptive. If it
      worked out, [Belichick] and [offensive coordinator Charlie] Weis were
      geniuses, and if Tom fell flat on his face, they could hand it back to
      him and say, `OK, Drew's back.' It isn't going to be that easy this
      year.''

      What has been easy for Bledsoe since he flew to Montana from New
      Orleans after the Super Bowl - without a stop in Boston for the
      Patriots parade - has been the living. By being in his lakefront home
      with his wife, Maura, and their three children, according to the close
      associate, Bledsoe has been able to maintain perspective on his
      difficulties. He understands that there is little need for him to
      defend himself from those who have made a sport of attacking him in
      the press and on talk radio, so he has remained mum, refusing to speak
      publicly about what happened in the past or what his future might be.

      ''Being away from New England has allowed him to realize how stupid it
      would be to try and defend himself from people whose opinion he
      doesn't care one-10th of 1 percent about,'' the source said. ''The
      separation has been good for him. The only thing he doesn't understand
      is this group they call Bledsoe Bashers. He understands some people
      like Tom. That's fine. What he doesn't understand is what he ever did
      in New England to become a bum.

      **** What? Did Monty write this paragraph?

      ''But he believes he has the respect of the people he plays with and
      the people he's played against. That's good enough for him. He knows
      he has those things.''

      Apparently, he knows he has a future, too. He's not sure where and
      with whom, but Drew Bledsoe remains sure of that much. Whether the
      Patriots do is someone else's problem now.

      -philw
    • George R
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
        --- PhilW1776@... wrote:
        > ON FOOTBALL
        > Offseason option play is eluding Bledsoe
        >
        > By Ron Borges, Globe Staff, 4/1/2002
        >
        > Drew Bledsoe knows exactly where he's going to be this week.
        >
        > He won't be at Fenway Park today when many of his Patriots teammates
        > attend the Red Sox home opener in front of an adoring crowd.
        >
        > He will be at the White House tomorrow when the Super Bowl champions
        > are greeted by President Bush.
        >
        > *** Knowing that Drew is a Fascist Republican exploiter of the
        > masses, I wonder how the Krishnas feel?
        >
        > He won't be at the opening of the team's offseason workout program
        > later this week - for the first time in nine years. He doesn't even
        > know when it's scheduled to start, nor does he care.
        >
        > *** Drew, without a clue? How can it be?
        >
        > He will be back at his lakefront home in Montana not long after he's
        > done shaking Bush's hand, because that is his refuge from the
        > uncertainty of his dying days as a Patriot.
        >
        > Beyond that, according to someone with personal knowledge of
        > Bledsoe's thinking and his situation, he doesn't know any better than

        > anyone else where he's headed. And he's not counting out Cincinnati.
        >
        > According to a source within Bledsoe's inner circle, the quarterback
        > has not told the Bengals he will not play there but he did have his
        > agent, David Dunn, inform them several weeks ago that he was in no
        > hurry to agree to a trade and would not do so until he had seen what
        > else was available to him.
        >
        > That was not a rejection of Cincinnati. It was a statement of his
        > mind-set, which is to put his future first for once rather than sit
        > quietly while others in Foxborough define it for him.
        >
        > ''Drew wants to keep his options open,'' the source said over the
        > weekend. ''What he tried to do with Cincinnati was put them on the
        > back burner, without shutting it down completely. Retirement isn't
        > really an option for him right now, but he has no feel for how this
        > is going to end except that if he has to go back to New England he'll
        > make an accommodation with it and go back there and be the best
        > quarterback on the team, whether they start him or not.''
        >
        > *** Intellectually, I agree with this. Tragically, Drew again fails
        > to realize that he has some deficiencies in his game and should be
        > working his ass off improving his play. Now, he's doing even less
        > than in prior years. And he wonders why he's not a valuable
        commodity.
        > Earth to Drew. Earth to Drew, come in.

        ***** Other than the obvious fact that you should never use the words
        "intellectually" and "I" in such close proximity, I agree with you, for
        a change. ;-) He *still* has done nothing wrong, IMO. But a refusal to
        participate in the workout program will hardly appear to be "making
        an accommodation with it and go back there and be the best quarterback
        on the team, whether they start him or not." Instead, doing so will be
        evidence that the "prima donna athlete syndrome" has won the battle
        with the "man of honor and integrity" that he has been up to now. As I
        said earlier, he has a legal *and* moral contract to remain as
        committed to this team as he has always been until and unless he is
        released from that contract. Bill Belichick's decision as to which QB
        he wants to start for the team does absolutely nothing to alter that commitment.

        =====
        George 665 + 36 =
        ** World Champion N E Patriots **

        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
      • Ian Logue
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
          George,

          I think he probably would have come back and worked out had he honestly
          felt he'd be given the opportunity to compete for a starting role.
          However it's obvoius to everyone that Belichick feels that Brady is his
          long-term solution, and a Superbowl victory only furthers his argument.

          I'm not upset that he's not showing up for the offseason workouts, and I
          think you'll find that most people aren't because they expected it. As
          far as Bledsoe feeling he's still the best quarterback, I can't say I
          blame him only because in a league like the NFL that's the way he's
          supposed to think.

          Yes he's under contract, but I think the fact that he was told one thing
          by Belichick and then another was done has certainly caused irreparable
          damage to their relationship, and now I think both sides know that a
          trade needs to happen. The only question that remains is to where, and
          I think when the time comes to make the final decision Bledsoe has to be
          just as accomodating as the organization if in fact a deal comes that
          New England can't turn down. I certainly believe he will.

          George do you agree? I'd love to hear what you think. You're insight
          is always very interesting and I always enjoy reading it. :)

          Ian
          PatsFans.com

          George R wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > ***** Other than the obvious fact that you should never use the words
          > "intellectually" and "I" in such close proximity, I agree with you, for
          > a change. ;-) He *still* has done nothing wrong, IMO. But a refusal to
          > participate in the workout program will hardly appear to be "making
          > an accommodation with it and go back there and be the best quarterback
          > on the team, whether they start him or not." Instead, doing so will be
          > evidence that the "prima donna athlete syndrome" has won the battle
          > with the "man of honor and integrity" that he has been up to now. As I
          > said earlier, he has a legal *and* moral contract to remain as
          > committed to this team as he has always been until and unless he is
          > released from that contract. Bill Belichick's decision as to which QB
          > he wants to start for the team does absolutely nothing to alter that commitment.

        • George R
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
            --- Ian Logue <feedback@...> wrote:
            > George,
            >
            > I think he probably would have come back and worked out had he
            > honestly felt he'd be given the opportunity to compete for a starting

            > role. However it's obvoius to everyone that Belichick feels that
            Brady
            > is his long-term solution, and a Superbowl victory only furthers his
            > argument.
            >
            > I'm not upset that he's not showing up for the offseason workouts,
            > and I think you'll find that most people aren't because they expected

            > it. As far as Bledsoe feeling he's still the best quarterback, I
            can't
            > say I blame him only because in a league like the NFL that's the way
            > he's supposed to think.
            >
            > Yes he's under contract, but I think the fact that he was told one
            > thing by Belichick and then another was done has certainly caused
            > irreparable damage to their relationship, and now I think both sides
            > know that a trade needs to happen. The only question that remains is

            > to where, and I think when the time comes to make the final decision
            > Bledsoe has to be just as accomodating as the organization if in fact

            > a deal comes that New England can't turn down. I certainly believe
            he > will.

            > George do you agree? I'd love to hear what you think. You're
            > insight is always very interesting and I always enjoy reading it. :)
            >
            > Ian

            ***** The bottom line for me, Ian, is always the contract. I have long
            had a problem with the increasing disregard for the meaning of a
            "contract" in our society. In my view, if you sign a contract, you
            commit to perform the activities specified in that contract to the best
            of your ability for the duration of that contract. Drew signed a
            contract to play football for the Patriots for 10 years. He is, IMO,
            obligated to do whatever it takes to ensure that he prepares himself to
            do so, to the best of his ability, for as long as that contract is in
            place. That would include the preparation that takes place at the
            off-season workouts, the value of which he has acknowledged by his
            participation during his years here to date.

            ***** Bill Belichick's decisions were based upon what he felt was best
            for the team. Circumstances changed considerably from the time when
            Drew was injured to the time when he was physically able to play again.
            The success of the team with Brady at QB, and Drew's time away from the
            field, made the decision one which most people felt was the right one
            at the time. No one can now deny that it was a good decision. That
            decision has absolutely no bearing on Drew's contractual obligations to
            the team.

            ***** You are correct in your statement that Drew should believe he's
            the best QB. However, that can't be proven to Belichick, or to anyone
            else, from Montana. Belichick's actions last season should make it
            crystal clear that he will not show personal favoritism to Brady this
            year, any more than he did to Drew last year. He will do, as he always
            does, what he believes is best for this team.

            ***** This is really the first time in his adult life that Drew hasn't
            been handed the job as "the man." If he is "a man", and not a prima
            donna, he should step up and declare himself as a warrior who's ready
            to go through whatever hoops it takes to prove it. Take on the new
            offense that's supposedly so well suited to Tom Brady, and so
            impossible for him, and prove otherwise. Show everybody, including Bill
            Belichick, that he, Drew Bledsoe, is the best QB for this team, no
            matter what offensive scheme is used. Instead, he appears to be giving
            up, and pouting because "the big, bad Head Coach doesn't like me."

            ***** It creates the appearance of a man who has proven many times that
            he is able to overcome fierce physical blows on the field; but who
            lacks the strength to overcome a blow to his pride.

            =====
            George 665 + 36 =
            ** World Champion N E Patriots **

            http://greetings.yahoo.com/
          • Ian Logue
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
              I agree with you on the contract. But what really bothers me in that
              type of scenario isn't his wish to be traded. What bothers me are guys
              who sign a deal, and then a few years into it after someone else gets a
              monster contract, and then all of a sudden they think they should get
              more money and they refuse to play without a pay increase. That REALLY
              bothers me.

              As far as Belichick's decision to go with Brady, I'm with you as far as
              that goes. He did what was the best thing for his team. Result: A
              Lobardi Trophy. However I'll never forget all the great moments we had
              while he was here.

              Now regarding his chance at earning his spot back, you and I both know
              that he truly as no chance at competing for his job. Belichick I
              believe really feels that Brady fits his long-term plans better, and
              that's likely the reason why he stayed with him to begin with. If he
              didn't feel that way he wouldn't have immediately dismissed Bledsoe and
              told the team Brady was the guy for the rest of the year. Bledsoe was
              prepared at the time to do whatever he needed to do to prove he was the
              best guy. He wasn't given that chance, and there has probably been
              enough said that we haven't heard that causes him to feel that he won't
              be given that chance this year either. Now it will come down to who
              will pay up for him.

              But I'll be in full agreement with you in the event the Pats get a
              monster offer and for some reason he refuses to go along with it.

              Hopefully we can get a decent deal out of it. Then we'll have a lot
              more to talk about before the Draft in a few weeks :)

              Ian

              George R wrote:

> [...]
              > does, what he believes is best for this team.
              >
              > ***** This is really the first time in his adult life that Drew hasn't
              > been handed the job as "the man." If he is "a man", and not a prima
              > donna, he should step up and declare himself as a warrior who's ready
              > to go through whatever hoops it takes to prove it. Take on the new
              > offense that's supposedly so well suited to Tom Brady, and so
              > impossible for him, and prove otherwise. Show everybody, including Bill
              > Belichick, that he, Drew Bledsoe, is the best QB for this team, no
              > matter what offensive scheme is used. Instead, he appears to be giving
              > up, and pouting because "the big, bad Head Coach doesn't like me."
              >
              > ***** It creates the appearance of a man who has proven many times that
              > he is able to overcome fierce physical blows on the field; but who
              > lacks the strength to overcome a blow to his pride.

            • Patti Hayes
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
                If I may inquire: Why does someone sign a 10 year contract? Perhaps they
                anticipate the possibility they will be unable to perform at their current
                level for that duration, and, therefore, will do well financially by signing
                up for 10 vs. 1 or 2? Does only one party in the contract assume any risk
                (the Patriot organization, in this case)? Hmmmm...I guess I just don't know
                enough about football. Poor little rich boy.