Award for Rodney

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2007
      From the infamous Mike Reece Blog

      Award for Harrison

      The Patriots just sent out the following press
      release:

      Rodney Harrison has been selected by his Patriots
      teammates to receive the 2006 Ed Block Courage Award.

      The honor is bestowed annually upon the player who,
      according to his teammates, best exemplifies the
      principles of courage and sportsmanship while also
      serving as a source of inspiration. Harrison and award
      winners from 31 other teams will be honored at the
      28th Annual Ed Block Courage Awards Banquet in
      Baltimore in March.
      Posted By: mreiss | Time: 09:07:22 AM |
    • Orgone

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2007
          ***** I have to admit that, while I have always recognized and respected his great talent and heart, I was a critic of Rodney's frequent "Personal Foul" penalties when he was a Charger, and for the first couple of seasons that he was a Patriot. But the more I learned of him through interviews, and actually meeting him in Arizona, the more I came to understand that he and I have something in common. We share a great enthusiasm for the game of football, and a totally unquenchable thirst for success on every play.

          ***** As you may have noticed (a bit of sarcasm there), I sometimes have trouble restraining my raw emotion in times of critical success or failure. So does Rodney. I believe with absolute certainty that he is a good guy, with a soul deep desire to win. Sometimes, that desire pushes him to excess on the field. But I now know that the same desire pushes him to a level of inspirational leadership of his teammates in the locker room, on the sidelines, and on the field, that is an immeasurable factor in upgrading the performance of the entire team.

          ***** Rodney is a very special football player. He is most deserving of this reward, and, as BB said to him after SB 38, "I'm glad we got you!". Yes, the Personal Fouls hurt. But they are, in the long run, vastly outweighed by his personal contributions to the play on the field, and his immeasurable contributions to the will to win within the heart of his teammates. His penalized hits have never been motivated by malice toward an opponent; but solely by the fact that the "victim" of those hits was an opponent, and was blocking the path of victory for his team. He hasn't got an "unsportsmanlike" bone in his body.

          ***** As pesonal proof of that, I offer this story. Following SB 39, Rodney was one of several players who had a signing session for a memorabilia house in NH. I ordered a football, and requested, as was allowed, a specific note as part of his signature. Rodney (correctly) considired the note to be too derogatory toward the Eagles. Instead, he signed the football with a simple "To George ... SB 39 Champs ... Rodney Harrison 37". Separated from the heat of the game, he has nothing but respect for his fellow players.

          ***** Congratulations to Rodney Harrison. I'm extremely happy to have had him on our team; and I hope he'll remain to play for at least a couple more seasons, and retire, and go into the HOF, as a Patriot!

          George

          Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!