Re: [patriotzip] Interesting comment from Bill Simmon's chat on ESPN.com

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
      First off the Sports Guy has not evaluated the money correctly from what I understand but we are in the 10 million range.  We have much time with which to apply that money in a host of ways.  We initially made a serious and solid run at Ty Law as well as Branch and that left us the 'surplus.'  We can and likely will use this money to get a head start on next season free agents and renegotiations.  This will happen between now and the end of the season and will do us considerable good next year but certainly this year remains a concern.

      I do not presume that we have an immediate and serious need at WR.  I believe that Gabriel and Jackson learning the system and blending with Caldwell, Brown and Brady could indeed be the sufficient WR skills we need.  How long it takes them to learn the system and adapt is what remains to be seen but I do not presume that Moss could come in here and immediately be of benefit either.  I do believe Moss is a very talented receiver though I want no part of him to be honest.  I'd rather have Terry Glenn here than Randy Moss.  I'd rather ensure Vrabel and Graham return than to overpay a Moss guy.

      Lastly with Alexander out of Seattle for a bit, I'm not sure where they will end up but I do not presume it will be top five at this point - I presume it has potential but won't be clear for another six weeks.  Still your overall point there is valid and I would trade that pick if it would greatly enhance our team or even reasonably enhance our team.

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
        And to get back to another point raised by someone on this list not
        all that long ago, with the way the Pats seem to evaluate the WR
        position [ie: its not as high of a priority as other positions] do
        you really see BB, SP and the FO really trying to obtain Randy [Moss]?

        Doug