Branch Analysis

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2006
      Now that the offseason is over, it's time to stop lurking. Obviously
      the biggest question mark with the Patriots has to be at WR, with
      their top player - Branch - holding out. So why am I not worried in
      the least about this?

      1. Terry Glenn: everyone remembers the Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady story
      from the first Superbowl win. What no one seems to remember is that
      the team had major issues with Terry Glenn going into the season, and
      finally had to bench him for most of the year. Even without their
      top receiver, the went on to win the first of three Superbowl titles.

      2. Daniel Graham: a first round pick the year after the Superbowl,
      Graham has shown decent blocking skills. His receiving skills are
      average, with probably a few too many drops to make him reliable.

      3. Ben Watson: another first round pick for the Pats at TE, Watson
      does what Graham does not... hold onto the ball. Much like Ben
      Coates back in the mid-90's, this could be a banner year for TE's on
      the Patriots squad.

      4. Troy Brown: too much experience to be overlooked, he's still an
      excellent possession receiver even if he doesn't scare defenses with
      his speed or cutting ability. Troy can find the holes and get open
      plenty often enough.

      5. Bill B.: Bellichick does more with what he has then any other
      coach. Ever. Look for linebackers, safeties, and even defensive
      linemen all lining up at receiver when needed, and all making the
      necessary catches if asked.

      The Deion Branch story is a non-starter... the Patriots just plain
      don't need to be worried about that, and quite certainly aren't.
    • Orgone
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2006
        This is actually an advantage. Now opposing teams have to game plan for
        anyone on the team who can catch.

        Not to mention we still have Mike Vrabel whenever we need a red zone
        touchdown. He's 6 for 6 I believe.

        Not to many people are going to out muscle or leap over Seymour for the
        ball. This could get interesting.

        Harry