Branch to come back?

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29 8:26 PM
      CBS/Sportsline reports - According to an unconfirmed
      source, CBS SportsLine.com has learned that WR Deion
      Branch, holding out of Patriots camp, is planning a
      return to the team within a week. The source, who
      spoke on the condition of anonymity but does have
      knowledge of the situation, says Branch wants to "pull
      a T.O." and do whatever it takes to force the team to
      trade him, release him or not franchise tag him.
      Branch is in the final year of his contract, which
      pays him a little over $1 million -- a bargain
      considering the salaries of players around the league
      with a profile as high as Branch. The Patriots
      recently gave Branch time to seek a trade with another
      club, but as of now no trade is expected to happen.

      Analysis: Based on what we've seen this preseason, the
      Patriots need Branch more than Branch needs the
      Patriots. He's a fantastic receiver capable of
      900-to-1,000-yard seasons and can break short catches
      into long runs. As of now, Branch is slipping in
      drafts into middle-round territory, and that's a
      bargain considering that he'll play for a chunk of the
      regular season, if not all 16 games, most likely for
      the Patriots. Consider him a fair No. 2 Fantasy WR
      worth a pick between Rounds 6 and 8. He should be
      drafted once most of the top-25 wideouts are snagged.

      ** This is no resolution to the impasse - Branch is
      pissed because he knows what he is worth (the figure
      John Clayton is quoting id $6.3M a season) and knows
      the Pats won't match it. Further, because of the high
      salary number, the Patriots want a 1st round pick,
      which no team is going to give and pay the high
      salary. They will just have to wait until next year
      when all teams will have a shot at him in Free Agency.

      "It's beocome quite apparent, Bill Belichick could put Diet Pepsi Machine in his secondary and everything will still be copasetic." - Rich Eisen NFL Network

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Orgone
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30 11:56 AM
        At 08:26 PM 8/29/2006 -0700, you wrote:
        >The source, who
        >spoke on the condition of anonymity but does have
        >knowledge of the situation, says Branch wants to "pull
        >a T.O." and do whatever it takes to force the team to
        >trade him, release him or not franchise tag him.

        This seems to be more of "I am more important than the team, my teamates,
        the season, the coaches and the fans." Hope it ain't true but if it is
        Branch really needs to find another place to play.

        Harry