McGinest upset about Seau wearing no. 55

  • SEAN
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2006

      'He made it what it is'

      McGinest has mixed feelings about Seau wearing 55

      FREE EMAIL ALERTS     EMAIL THIS     PRINT THIS     SAVE THIS     MOST POPULAR

      BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Willie McGinest isn't entirely happy that Junior Seau will wear his old No. 55 jersey with the New England Patriots.

      Seau signed with Patriots last week, just days after announcing his retirement from a 16-year career with the Chargers and Dolphins. He has worn 55 since his college days at Southern Cal. McGinest helped the Patriots win three Super Bowls but signed with the Cleveland Browns this year as a free agent.

      Before Seau took the number, he and Patriots coach Bill Belichick called to ask McGinest's permission. McGinest said he felt awkward but agreed. He said the Patriots' front office should have stepped in and handled what he felt was an uncomfortable situation.

      "What if I had went to San Diego? I don't even think that would have been an option for me to ask for 55," McGinest said. "I think they would have said, 'You know what, you're a great player but we've got to put this number to the side because of Junior.' And out of respect I wouldn't have asked for the number. I probably would have gone back to my high school number (95)."

      But McGinest acknowledged he wore No. 55 in college because Seau wore it before him.

      "He's the reason why I was wearing the number. He made it what it is today and he passed it down to me. He had his legacy with it where he was, and I created mine where I was," McGinest said.

      join Boston Sports Teams

    • chris dressler

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2006
          Willie, you were a terrific player for us. Thanks for the memories
          and contributions to the Pats' success.

          You were "55", Junior was "55". So just get over it!

          fdb

          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "SEAN" <ozzrvd666@...> wrote:

          > 'He made it what it is'McGinest has mixed feelings about Seau
          wearing
          > 55Posted: Monday August 21, 2006 11:06PM; Updated: Tuesday August
          22,
          > 2006 1:18AM [FREE EMAIL ALERTS]
          > <http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/alerts/football/nfl/> [EMAIL
          > THIS]

          <http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2
          00\
          > 6/08/21/bc.fbn.mcginest.seau.ap/index.html#> [PRINT THIS]

          <http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2
          00\
          > 6/08/21/bc.fbn.mcginest.seau.ap/index.html#> [SAVE THIS]

          <http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2
          00\
          > 6/08/21/bc.fbn.mcginest.seau.ap/index.html#> [MOST POPULAR]

          <http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2
          00\
          > 6/08/21/bc.fbn.mcginest.seau.ap/index.html#>
          > BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Willie McGinest isn't entirely happy that Junior
          > Seau will wear his old No. 55 jersey with the New England Patriots.
          >
          > Seau signed with Patriots last week, just days after announcing his
          > retirement from a 16-year career with the Chargers and Dolphins. He
          has
          > worn 55 since his college days at Southern Cal. McGinest helped the
          > Patriots win three Super Bowls but signed with the Cleveland Browns
          this
          > year as a free agent.
          >
          > Before Seau took the number, he and Patriots coach Bill Belichick
          called
          > to ask McGinest's permission. McGinest said he felt awkward but
          agreed.
          > He said the Patriots' front office should have stepped in and
          handled
          > what he felt was an uncomfortable situation.
          >
          > "What if I had went to San Diego? I don't even think that would have
          > been an option for me to ask for 55," McGinest said. "I think they
          would
          > have said, 'You know what, you're a great player but we've got to
          put
          > this number to the side because of Junior.' And out of respect I
          > wouldn't have asked for the number. I probably would have gone back
          > my high school number (95)."
          >
          > But McGinest acknowledged he wore No. 55 in college because Seau
          wore it
          > before him.
          >
          > "He's the reason why I was wearing the number. He made it what it is
          > today and he passed it down to me. He had his legacy with it where
          he
          > was, and I created mine where I was," McGinest said.
          >
          > join Boston Sports Teams
          > <http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/bostonteams/>

        • rogue35lk
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 22, 2006
            I think the most annoying part of this story is that Bill asked
            Willie for permission, which he gave and now he is still commenting
            on it?? Willie get over yourself, you had a good career here but it
            was far from HOF caliber.