Re: [patriotzip] The Deion dilema...

  • Orgone
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2006
      At 11:38 AM 7/27/2006 +0000, you wrote:
      >Deion is scheduled to make just over $1M this year. We would all
      agree,
      >well below his value. From what I've read, he's been offered 3yrs,
      >averaging $6M per year or 4 yrs averaging $5M; but it's heavily back
      >loaded, and the signing bonus is split over two years. His agent
      >insists that he deserves Reggie Wayne money (6yrs, $40M, $13.5M
      signing
      >bonus).
      >
      >1) Have the Pats dealt in good faith by virtue of their offer?

      The Patriots organization has made it clear that things are done a little differently in NE than the rest of the league. They've announced for all to hear that players that want to make a lot of money should look elsewhere. Given that policy I think Deion is trying to change the Pats and I hope they don't let him do it.

      >2) Does Deion deserve Reggie Wayne money, or do the Colts just lack
      >fiscal discipline?

      No Deion doesn't deserve Reggie Wayne money, see above. Yes the Colts lack fiscal discipline just like most of the rest of the league.

      Deion has a special situation here as I've pointed out before. He is seldom asked to take any punishment or sent over the middle. Usually after the catch he gets right out of bounds or hits the turf. Let him go be a #1 receiver somewhere else and see how long he lasts fighting for those extra yards or taking the hits over the middle of the field. I like Deion's play but I'm getting tired of his attitude and his lack of team responsibility.

      >3) Can we find compromise here (adjust the loading, slight bump in
      >total value of package, up front bonus, etc.), or are they just too
      far
      >apart?

      Deion seems like he wants to stick to his position and it appears that the Pats aren't ready to budge either. I would say much depends on how things go in training camp. If enough of the rest of the receiver corp steps up Deion could be looking at a year long holdout that will cost him another year of service.

      I think if he's smart he'll come in and play his way to super-stardom and league-wide admiration then go for the big payday somewhere else if that's so important to him. If the rest of the receivers can't find the field then the Pats may be forced to give Deion more of a raise than they wanted. I don't think this will be the case.

      There is also the option of starting the season with Branch finishing his last year here being the glue that holds the receiving corp together long enough to go it without him next year. This could work because Branch would be looking to have a breakout year to optimise his status.

      >4) Should the Pats blink, and give him something close to Wayne
      money,
      >because we're "thin" at receiver?

      Absolutely not. Richard Seymour got the extra dough but he is a totally different case IMO. Seymour is the backbone of the defense, has put in a lot more time than Branch and he would be just about impossible to upgrade or replace. Branch is NOT the backbone of the offense. He is an important part but not irreplaceable and it wouldn't be that difficult to find equal talent or an upgrade IMHO.

      I like Deion Branch and hope he stays and has a sudden attitude adjustment but I believe the Patriots have to stand firm and I believe they have offered Branch fair value.

      Harry

      "The gospel of the monarchical patriotism is: 'The King can do no wrong.' We have adopted it with all its servility, with an unimportant change in the wording: 'Our country, right or wrong!' We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had - the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it, all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism."--Mark Twain