Re: [patriotzip] Re: $30 mil for 4 years...

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14, 2006
      The detail seems off-set by the base salaries and the principle of a signing bonus spreading throughout the contract.  Why is the leap so quick when the base salary takes four years to implement a jump?

      I'll be interested in Miguel's break down of these numbers before I jump to any conclusion.

      The initial reports are generally higher than reality and that initialy report was 30 Million for four years which would of course be 7.25/year on average.  That number doesn't intimidate me too much in Richard's case.  We paid Ty Law more and I'd think Richard has a bigger overall impact upon this team.

      One thing for certain I can see no reason they have changed philosophies - though perhaps they adjusted for the new cap expectations.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 15, 2006
        Well, I read Miguel's statement on Richard's contract. I have to say,
        it didn't make me feel much better. Besides the relatively high cap
        numbers after this year, he makes this statement;

        "Next year, Seymour is due an option bonus of $18.66 million. If the
        option is not exercised, Seymour will become a free agent in 2008, and
        his 2007 base salary becomes $19.26 million AND is guaranteed."

        I guess, as you said Zip, we can count on the cap to increase
        significantly over the term of the new CBA, but that's a lot of cash!

        fdb

        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...> wrote:

        > The detail seems off-set by the base salaries and the principle of a
        signing bonus spreading throughout the contract. Why is the leap so
        quick when the base salary takes four years to implement a jump?

        > I'll be interested in Miguel's break down of these numbers before I
        jump to any conclusion.

        > The initial reports are generally higher than reality and that
        initialy report was 30 Million for four years which would of course be
        7.25/year on average. That number doesn't intimidate me too much in
        Richard's case. We paid Ty Law more and I'd think Richard has a
        bigger overall impact upon this team.

        > One thing for certain I can see no reason they have changed
        philosophies - though perhaps they adjusted for the new cap expectations.

        > Go Pats!
        > Zip

        Service.

      • Rich Carreiro
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 15, 2006
          frank.dana@... ("Frank") writes:

          > Well, I read Miguel's statement on Richard's contract. I have to say,
          > it didn't make me feel much better. Besides the relatively high cap
          > numbers after this year, he makes this statement;
          >
          > "Next year, Seymour is due an option bonus of $18.66 million. If the
          > option is not exercised, Seymour will become a free agent in 2008, and
          > his 2007 base salary becomes $19.26 million AND is guaranteed."

          Read Reiss's blog.

          The $18.66mil option is split into two pieces -- $6.66mil and $12mil.
          The $6.66mil piece can be paid any time from 4 Aug 2006 to next March.
          The $12mil peice is due next March. This is obviously the Pats working
          around the "can't give a guy more than one raise in twelve months" rule.
          I fully expect the $6.66mil piece will be paid 4 Aug 2006 and so count
          against the 2006 cap.

          --
          Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...