Re: [patriotzip] Willie cut?

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
      The only thing definite with Willie McGinest at this point is that he was cut from the Patriots.  It is not unreasonable to observe tht he was due a 3.5 Million Dollar Roster bonus if not cut or restructured within the first week of the Free Agency year which begins very soon (Friday-Monday at some point to be defined by the League).  According to Migel and many other sources, Willie was a Salary Cap figure of 8.3 Million or so this year and at that price the Patriots are likely to seek means of reducing.  I personally heard comments alleged from Willie to say he understood the roster bonus was unlikely to be paid.  Without the full freedom of a known Salary Cap high end during the Collective Bargaining work which was just completed, it was harder for the Patriots to plan and negotiate with him.

      It would not be unreasonable for Willie to return with a new contract in the not too distant future.  This is not a guarantee by any means and he will likely command more than the Veteran minimum with potential offers from several interested places.  Still, the Patriots likely wish him here and all reports indicate both sides in fact wish to have him here.

      I have a special place in My Pats heart for Willie McGinest not only from our interactions and his performances but because I attended one and only one draft in New York and that was the draft in which we took him.

      I expect him back until I hear he has signed elsewhere.

      Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 5:17 PM
      Subject: RE: [patriotzip] Willie cut?

      Where is he going?
      He's one of two active NFL players from our area's Pop Warner--the Orange Empire in southern Califonia...he played in Long Beach. The other is Tony Rodriguez from Huntington Beach.  I was proud to have him McGinest on the Patriots.
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
        ***** Of course, we would all be very hurt if Willie moves on to another team. But I certainly can't fault the Patriots for avoiding the big hit that they would have taken had they not taken this action.

        ***** I certainly believe that Willie is worth considerably more than the vet minimum. But the 3.5 million roster bonus was not reasonable.

        ***** It is my fervent hope that Willie will quickly re-sign with the Patriots for a fair and reasonable amount for both parties. I dearly want him to play his entire career as a Patriot!

        George